TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
Tonopah

Default Replacement tires

When the time comes to replace the tires on my 2720SL, is it best to replace them with another set of Marathons or is there a better tire out there?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Just for info; after much agonizing over switching to 15" tires I decided to buy another set of 14" Marathons. Disposing of the old rims plus possible fit problems contributed to the decision as well as the fact I've had no tire problems in five yrs and 20-25K miles with 14" Marathons. In researching tire brands I discovered that many (possibly all) ST tires made in the US and Canada apparently come out of Goodyear owned factories -- although they have other names like Towmaster. It would be interesting to know why Michelin and others don't make ST trailer tires.

Off-shore made tires may be just as good, or better, and are somewhat cheaper but I suspect Goodyear dealers will be easier to find if I have warranty problems on the road. It's apparently true that Goodyear is on strike at the moment but http://www.tirerack.com has the 14's at bargain prices. Tire Rack's info section also has some interesting comments about trailer tire longevity. It's been several days since I read it but, as I recall, they say trailer tires can go bad in as little as a year if left to weather in the elements and seldom used.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote