TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2002, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Checkout advise before I accept my used TM

I have just purchased a 98 2720 SL from a non-Trail Manor Dealer. Before I accept delivery of the TM, the dealer has to fix any major problems that we find.

Next week I will be going through every item with one of the techs to make sure everything is working properly.

Does anyone have some advise of what to look for that may be a problem?

I have already spent a couple of hours going over the TM looking for obvious problems. I checked the AC, lights, fridge on AC, light on AC and DC, water from city side.

I will check out water from the holding tanks all LP operations, the fridge on DC and LP with the Tech.

I tried to see if the TM would close easly, but I couldn't fiqure out how to close it. The bed in the back was easy, but the slide out in the front wasn't as easy. I will go over it with the Tech.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-01-2002, 01:10 PM   #2

Default Re: Checkout advise before I accept my used TM

Check out the thread "Shell latch 'bracket' problem" and you'll likely find a thing or two to look for.  
Old 06-01-2002, 04:23 PM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Re: the slideout closing on the 2720 SL.

It's rather easy, once you've gone a few rounds with it, been knocked down a time or two, and clutched victory from the ............... ummm.... I digress.

When the slideout is in the fully open position, set up for camping, there are two pins inside which engage the slideout to the floor. If the pins are not pulled, the slideout will NOT stow.

Once the 2 pins ("D" shaped handles, painted red) are disengaged, there's a new problem to overcome. Merely pushing the box toward the closed position may still not work. That's because on each side of the box are support  beams. The beams are attached to the trailer frame. As the slideout is pulled out they each pivot around the hinge attachment on the frame. They inscribe a semi-circular arc as the box is pulled out.

The problem: When in the proper position following setup, the arms are very nearly oriented fore and aft, relative to the hinge pivot-points. So, when one tries to push the box back in, the arms which support the box, also resist closure.That is, it takes a great deal of force in the direction of motion to supply a enough lateral component of force to get the arms pivoting outward.

If you didn't follow this, here's the bottom line.

1. Ensure the keeper pins "inside" are released first.
2.  If the box seems frozen in place when attempting to stow - place a hand on each support arm (under box and next to propane bottles), in turn, and push the arm outward (laterally) to get the arms into a position such that pushing the box will generate enough force to cause the box to slide smoothly to the closed positon.
3. Proper stowage position - aluminum bar, with a cap, projects left & right from thr bottom of the box. When fully stowed, each bar will contact the trailer exterior into which the box slid.

Phew  :P , that wasn't so bad - or was it?

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 05:12 AM   #4

I did make sure the pins were pulled from the inside, and that the small aluminum rods were detached from the outside.  I guess I was just pushing it closed improperly, or at least I hope I was and there isn't a problem.

Does it matter if I close the front first or the rear?
Old 06-02-2002, 05:28 AM   #5
hal

David, If you will send an SASE, I will send you a brochure titled Raising and Lowering the TrailManor.  This brochure takes you step by step in setting up and in lowering the TrailManor.  Our dealer hands one of these to every purchaser of a TM.  That is what  makes our dealer the greatest.  They are the only dealer that does this.  People who have used it claim it to be very helpful.  (anyone else wishing a copy can send me an SASE and a note requesting the brochure).

Hal
[email protected]