TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2004, 05:53 AM   #1
Factor

Default Montana AWD & 3023

I have had no problems towing my 3023 with the Montana Van AWD. I don't use anti-sway or load distribution as the van has air which automatically levels with the TM.

I am concerned with a long trip over hilly terrain. I'm thinking of a trip to Newfoundland next year, that's 4000 miles through Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, P.E.I., Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

Just to be sure, I'm going to install a transmission cooler, about $250.00, prior ot the trip.
John
Old 11-02-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
armistjb

Default Towing with Montana

John:

Good to hear you have had no problems. I am still in the undecided stage, and as you might know, my Venture is essentially the same as the Montana except it is a two wheel drive instead of the AWD, so this is good information. I do have the trailering package which includes heavy duty radiator, and transmission cooler so that is a bit of a plus.

I am also planning on going down east next summer, though not to Newfounland. Hopefully we will have a trailer by then so we can avoid the hotel experience.

John
Old 11-02-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
Factor

I, too, have the trailering package - better check the specs before I install a transmission cooler - didn't think that was included. Also, plan on travelling as light as a can.
John

2003 Montana AWD - 2004 3023
Old 11-02-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
Factor

Checkedthe GM site and the followingis listed for the 2005's

Trailer Towing Package - 1588 kg (3500 lb.) capacity, includes touring suspension, heavy-duty radiator and transmission oil cooler, trailer wiring harness, heavy-duty signal flasher and higher output alternator (does not include hitch; includes automatic rear level control suspension and accessory inflator kit)

Looks like I already have the transmission cooler - I will check the manual. The 2004 AWD has 3600lb towing capacity.
John
Old 11-03-2004, 11:01 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

John -

Have you weighed your 3023, loaded up and in ready-for-the-road condition? If you do, let us know. This board is collecting statistics, though admittedly in sort of haphazard fashion.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:04 PM   #6
Factor

Further, I checked the specs and noted the following for the trailering Package.

125 Amp. Alternator
Trailering Wiring Harness
Heavy Duty Turn Signal Flash
Extra Capacity Engine Oil Cooler
Load leveling Suspension
Inflator Kit

I don't know if the Extra Capacity Engine Oil Cooler means that it's a transmission cooler, have to ask the dealer tomorrow.

As far as weight, I'm going to travell light, but, if I have a chance, will weigh the loader trailer.

John
Old 11-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #7
Factor

Default 2003 Montana AWD & 3023

I checked with the dealer - an automatic transmission cooler is not the same as the extra capicity engine oil cooler. So, I'll install the transmission cooler before our trip. The two should be good insurance.
John
Atikokan - the canoeing capital of Canada