TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-19-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
gypsyGail

Default TM Wanabe-Shopping for TV

Hi All,
We need help! We realy like and want to have a TM. DH & I will be purchaseing a TV in Sept and want to be sure that what we purchase will handle the towing needs for our dream.(2519 would work but 3020 is what would realy work for us [Grandkids on occasion & us for comfort])

Have been considering a Ford 150 V8 ExCab with a short bed. (Do we need the bigger V8?) We have never towed before and would like info on TV as well as TV class or order. Anyone out there have something like that or can offer info. Also, what Class Hitch do we have the TV dealer add? -- We don't want to spend $ and find out it won't work.....

I'm "brain damaged" from reading info. (Researching) Need real world answers. Any info would be greatly appreciated. (from the "bottom of my heart")

Gail
P.S. DH would love to know what kind of milage you get with a similar rig (me? How well does your oven work? - Do you have AC &/or micro?)
Old 08-19-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
Windbreaker

I don't know a great deal eather but. You need to give a little more information for a really good answer. Where, what type of roads you plan on towing on.

Most likely the small block V8 Ford will work great, might even be over kill. But if you want to drive fast up mountain passes then you might think about the bigger motor. The thing I would look at most carefully would be the rearend, if you select the 3.73 or there abouts you will get better gas milage while not towing and good milage while towing if you go to the 3.90 or 4.10 range then your milage will fall greatly but you will pull up steep hills with ease.

I think the small block V8 will work for most folks just fine if you do plan on towing a lot in the higher mts. you might get the larger block. You will be glad you ordered the towing package with the truck. It comes with a lot of the stuff you will have to pay a higher price for later if you don't get it. Also get the extendable mirrors, one less thing to worry about later.

TM suggest a class III hitch.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
gypsyGail

Default Thanks Texas Camper

Thanks for the info. (And quick!!) All was what I was hoping to hear.

Currently, we use our Ford 150 Conversion Van for our camping. It Works..... Have traveled and camped frm east coast to west and back.

However, as we get older, it would be nice to have a few "creature comforts"
(toilet) and with grandchildren now, bed and place would be welcome. Tired of renting trailers for them.

Thanks for your set-up and breakdown info in another forum. Sure beats having to deal with regular pop-up set up and break down.

Take care and "Happy Rolling".

Gail
Old 08-19-2004, 02:21 PM   #4
EPICSDUDE

Smile

I tow a 2720SL with a Dodge B1500 Conversion Van with a V6 engine. I don't have any problems towing at all!

Rocky
Old 08-19-2004, 02:36 PM   #5
gypsyGail

Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windbreaker
I don't know a great deal eather but. You need to give a little more information for a really good answer. Where, what type of roads you plan on towing on.

Most likely the small block V8 Ford will work great, might even be over kill. But if you want to drive fast up mountain passes then you might think about the bigger motor. The thing I would look at most carefully would be the rearend, if you select the 3.73 or there abouts you will get better gas milage while not towing and good milage while towing if you go to the 3.90 or 4.10 range then your milage will fall greatly but you will pull up steep hills with ease.

I think the small block V8 will work for most folks just fine if you do plan on towing a lot in the higher mts. you might get the larger block. You will be glad you ordered the towing package with the truck. It comes with a lot of the stuff you will have to pay a higher price for later if you don't get it. Also get the extendable mirrors, one less thing to worry about later.

TM suggest a class III hitch.
We live in NJ - Have mountains here but nothing like the west. PA mountains however are nothing to "sneeze at". Have long ago discovered that "fast will cost you". (Gas wise)

We do intend to order the towing pkg when we get the truck (including extented mirrors) I, too, thought we would need a Class III hitch on the TV.

Most important to me (us) is a tow pkg. (TV and TM) that will work safetly!!

Thanks for the rear end figures, makes sense to me.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Gail
Old 08-19-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Gail -

There are dozens of good threads in the "Towing Rigs" section - lots to learn and think about, including big V-8 vs small V-8 vs 6 cylinder (and maybe even a couple on 4 cylinder) engines. Unfortunately, it looks like only the most recent 8 threads can actually be seen at the moment, since the board is in the process of restructuring. This should be done in a couple weeks, I think - be sure to come back and read them all when it happens.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:07 PM   #7
gypsyGail

Default Wow! You Tow with a Van V6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPICSDUDE
I tow a 2720SL with a Dodge B1500 Conversion Van with a V6 engine. I don't have any problems towing at all!

Rocky
Wow, maybe we shouldn't sell our '95 (low milage)Ford 150 Conversion Van. V8. Love the "beast", it's taken us everywhere but would it tow the TM of our dreams and for how long? It has no tow pkg. Don't think I would like to add one now. Nice to know it could have been a "possible".

Take Care and "Happy Rolling".

Gail
Old 08-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #8
gypsyGail

Default Thank You Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Gail -

There are dozens of good threads in the "Towing Rigs" section - lots to learn and think about, including big V-8 vs small V-8 vs 6 cylinder (and maybe even a couple on 4 cylinder) engines. Unfortunately, it looks like only the most recent 8 threads can actually be seen at the moment, since the board is in the process of restructuring. This should be done in a couple weeks, I think - be sure to come back and read them all when it happens.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I'll keep watching. Any and all help will be appreciated.
Gail
Old 08-19-2004, 07:21 PM   #9
EPICSDUDE

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyGail
Wow, maybe we shouldn't sell our '95 (low milage)Ford 150 Conversion Van. V8. Love the "beast", it's taken us everywhere but would it tow the TM of our dreams and for how long? It has no tow pkg. Don't think I would like to add one now. Nice to know it could have been a "possible".

Take Care and "Happy Rolling".

Gail
Since you love the beast, I would invest in a transmission cooler, class III hitch, brake controller, WD hitch and hit the road pulling the TM of your dreams!!!!!!!!!

Rocky
Old 08-19-2004, 08:53 PM   #10
Caver
Site Sponsor

Default Dodge VAN TV

Gail,

We pull our 3023 with a 95 Dodge 2500 RAM VAN with a V8. I found that it was trailer ready with a transmission cooler and some of the wiring in place. I added a class III hitch and purchased a wiring kit from etrailer.

http://etrailer.com/

I think I would have been better off purchasing the wiring kit from the Dodge dealer. I'm not sure about the Ford VAN. You might check with your Ford parts department. The other items you need such as WD hitch and brake controller will still be needed when you retire the van and get a new TV.

Ray
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote