TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2004, 06:41 PM   #1
bill s

Lightbulb outside storage (new)

i recently had fabricated a metal basket (~ 24"x8"x8"),which i welded to the frame and just in front of the street side tire....i like how it worked out and decided to fabricate one for the other side except i made it 12" longer...i store things like hoses,tire wrenches,hydraulic jack,wood for the jacks,chocks etc...
i also had welded a metal screen on the tongue which also provides for more storage like the jack wheel, gloves, wood,etc..
Old 08-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
bill s

Exclamation outside storage

still trying to figure out how to get photo's to the net!!!!!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
bill s

Default Outside Storage Bill S

Here are the pictures of what I had fabricated
Old 08-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #4
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Bill:

Four questions for you:

When will mine be ready?

Do you take Visa/Mastercard?

How long will it take to install them?

Can you modify them to bolt on rather than weld, so I don't have to come to your house to get them installed?

Wayne
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:22 AM   #5
bill s

Smile g-v driver reply!!!

gosh..i never thought i should start a business but...i'm still trying to get some better photos to show it's installation...yes, you could bolt them to the frame but i thought it more difficult to drill holes into the frame!!!
they are relativly easy to fabricate and i'm sure my welder and i might consider a new venture...i wonder what the market is like????
Old 08-31-2004, 07:48 AM   #6
CastleRockCamper

Default Taking Orders......

If your taking orders, Put me on the list, Problem, shipping may be a little expensive....... How much do they weigh?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:17 AM   #7
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

MIke,

I'd bet you could sell 20 of them to people on this site pretty quickly. Maybe a lot more. Looks like 4 are already spoken for. A much bigger market if you tie into the Trailblazer group as well. Make up a few for "beta test" models and sell them for whatever they cost plus some profit so it feels more like business than charity. Get user feedback and comments, then decide if you think it is a viable idea. I don't know how non-commercial aspects of this site jives with accessory marketing, but since it is a product specifically for owners, there is probably a way to make it feasible but that decision is above my pay grade.

Figure out what the material, supplies (paint, etc.) and shop costs (welding rods, electricity, etc.) would be for 20, then for 100 (probably much cheaper on a per-unit basis than for 1 or 2) then add 20% for scrap and screwups. Then figure out what your time is worth and add a factor for admin and other inefficiencies.

If it appears to be a financial opportunity that could be worthwhile, decide if you really want to do it, and are willing to make the time commitment necessary to see it through. Or see if you can subcontract the work and just sell them without having to make each one. Might be a better way to make a buck than welding them up yourself. Once that is done, test the market for interest.

Then plan to attend one of the rallies with some merchandise ready to sell. I think you could sell all you could carry. Take a portable welder to install them, or a drill and bolts for those who don't want them permanently mounted. Maybe look into making some other products as well. Sounds like lots of people would like a nice rack/box on the tongue. I would. Different configurations may make this more complicated, but worth exploring. Maybe mud flaps with a metal frame (like the trucks) as well. After seeing that my exterior plumbing system had disappeared after a blowout, I would consider a braced mudflap or guard. Probably other accessories as well.

Two things are apparent regarding accessible storage when the trailer is folded (from a marketing standpoint)

1. Other than the bumper, ain't none you can get to without raising the roof. The need is there.

2. TM owners are differentiators; they paid more for their units than they would have paid for something else, they like their units a lot and many would be more than willing to spend some money to improve usability and convenience.

As Dennis Miller says, "that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Wayne
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 04:33 AM   #8
revmrbill

Default Storage Baskets

If they will fit a 3023 TM, I will order two and have them installed here,just let us know what you are willing to do, if you need help with accounting etc, I am available.

Thanks

Rev Mr Bill
Old 07-20-2005, 10:06 PM   #9
CastleRockCamper

Default Storage Box

I just finish making a storage box that mounts between the frame. The box is bolted to the frame just behind the propane tanks. I plan to store wood for the jacks,chocks, mirrors while in storage, WDH and bars while in storage, etc...

I had to account for the slideout, propane feed, as well as how the front shell sits on the frame.

I would have rather built the box out of aluminum because the steel box weights 58lbs. Someday I will have to learn how to weld aluminum.

CastleRockCamper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_box.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	585   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_box1.gif
Views:	559
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	586  
Old 07-21-2005, 07:38 AM   #10
bill s

Red face outside storage

looks good...my storage units are welded on...i too wish my friend had aluminm welding experience...
welding experience