TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #1
coralcruze

Default Signal lights on 2720 driving me nuts

So on my last trip I had signal lights in the back of my 2720 and then it dropped out when I was leaving the campground. That day it did rain.

MULTIMETER tests voltage at the tow vehicle bargman, no problems there. So I tested the incoming bargman wires (red, brown, green and yellow) behind the ref. and it checks out. This coming week I have to test the wires that exit the right side of the refrigerator going up the support arm however the wires are encased inside a wire mesh sleeve. I am guessing that I will have to cut that and slide it off to check the wires? Then if that area checks out then where do those wires go? Does anyone know? I am guessing behind the crown moulding?

Is there an easy way to find a short to ground? Perhaps a wire tracer device that puts a tone into the wire and trace with the receiving end?

I think this is going to suck for me trying to find where the issue is if it's in the walls. Any advise?
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:07 PM   #2
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

I removed the crown molding on the front shell of my TM back in 2017 when I did the remodel (so I could paint without taping off all the molding, I put the molding back on), and there were definitely wires running through that on both sides, and in the middle under the flat molding running down the center. So I'm sure the wires to those rear running lights run behind the crown molding on the back shell.

I can't answer any of your other questions. But the crown molding pops off easily, so at least there's that. :-)
Old 08-31-2022, 11:08 AM   #3
coralcruze

So finally got a chance to do some additional troubleshooting on the TM signal lights again and found an interesting fact.

The signal lights work perfectly fine when TV headlights are off. When headlights are on the signal lights don't work.

Here is what I know:
1. Running lights come on when TV headlights are on but signal lights do not work
2. Reverse Camera that is wired into the running lights come on when TV headlights come on but signal lights do not work. I tried disconnecting the wiring to the camera from the running lights and still signal lights do not come on so I know it's NOT the camera causing this.
3. Signal lights work perfectly when TV headlights are off. Right, left blinkers and reverse all work as long as TV headlights are off.

So I am thinking that it must be something with the wiring to the new LED reverse lights and or running lights.

I am going to try and dig up my install pics of the reverse lights and post them here. If anyone has any idea what is causing this please advise. I will be camping overnight so have today and tomorrow to solve this riddle. Any advice would be so appreciated.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
coralcruze

First two pics was the woring of the old incandescent reverse lights. The last two is the wiring to the new LED reverse lights.

the wires coming from the new LED are as follows:
blue is reverse lights are connected to yellow bargman
white is grounded to the TM body.
red and black are signal (right and left). red is connectwd to green bargman and black is connected to green from the bargman.

you can see the colors of the wores coming from the TM. please excise the temporary red connecting tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220518_121654.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	480.4 KB
ID:	21378   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220518_111918.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	21379   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220518_133859.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	21380   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220518_133855.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	21381  
Old 08-31-2022, 06:56 PM   #5
coralcruze

Anyone have any suggestions? Please advise.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:21 PM   #6
coralcruze

If anyone is reading this. Another observation below

UPDATE: When I disconnect the green wire coming from the extension behind the ref. Running lights don't work but headlight on TV no longer have any effect on the blinking reverse lights. They work weather the front headlights are on or off. But again running lights don't work. Something isn't right.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:29 PM   #7
coralcruze

If anyone has a good picture of thier 7 pin connections behind the ref. Would be really helpful to me. I THOUGHT I took one before replacing the connector but I misplaced it. The following is the current connections as it stands with the current issue still present.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220901_130057.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	21383  
Old 09-01-2022, 01:14 PM   #8
coralcruze

If anyone has a good picture of the wiring to thier reverse lights would also be tremendously helpful to me as well.

Does anyone know why there are two green wires on the drivers side of the TM reverse lights?
Old 09-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #9
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Do you have the instructions for the new LEDs? I have it all mapped out for you, except I don’t know if red or black is running or stop/turn. Let me know which is which and I think I have your wiring figured out.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #10
coralcruze

Shane that's all you needed to say bud for me to think about what's going on. Everything works perfectly after I replaced the fuse in the TV since I blew that trying differant things while still plugged in. Lol.

You are correct. The red and black wires coming from the light fixture were not connected to the right wires from the TM. Once I switched them everything worked. Sooo glad this wasn't a bad ground... that would have been hell trying to find.

Shane you are the man. Thank you bud!

Waaahooo!