TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2022, 07:31 AM   #1
JohnMD

Default Atwood Wedgewood Vision Burners (and screws)

Hi all,

In our 2007 TM, we have the Atwood Wedgewood Vision Stove/Oven. It has three burners. One burner always ignites immediately, the second burner usually lights within two or three turns of the igniter knob, and the third burner often does not light, and when it does, can require quite a few turns of the igniter. The burners are very clean, propane flows great, and they all light immediately with a handheld lighter. I see the spark on all three burners when turning the igniter knob. Is it possible that sparks are not strong enough? Though, I cannot see a noticeable difference between the sparks. Is it possible that the igniter needs to be adjusted so it is closer to the burner? Without bending it, I don't see how this would be done. Any ideas?

Second, the original owners never used the oven, and neither have we. I finally got around to starting it yesterday just to see how it works. It works fine, but I noticed two of the screws that hold the rack support into place are missing, so the rack wobbles. I presume it is okay to use regular screws from the hardware store and that heat is not of concern?

Thanks,

John
Old 08-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

John -

If it makes sparks at all, they are strong enough to light the gas. You might try opening up the gap a bit, to make a longer gap, but you can't open it very far before the spark will be unable to jump the gap.

My guess, from having gone through this, is that the spark isn't quite in the gas stream. The manual should show you exactly where the spark should be, and how long the gap should be. Or you could compare the location of the gaps on the failing pair to the location of the gap on the good burner.

You might also check the gas pressure. A thread yesterday on a different topic noted that the gas pressure in that TM was only about 6 inches of water column, where 11 inches is standard.

As for rack screws, hardware store screws are fine. I would opt for stainless steel screws.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
JohnMD

Bill,

Thanks for the insight. I played around with the angle of the igniter by rotating it slightly with needle nosed pliers as to tweak the angle at which the spark moves toward the burner, which would also change the distance of the gap that you reference. This seems to help some. The burner isn't lighting 100% of the time, but it seems to be improved (and satisfactory for now). I'll continue to monitor this.

Regarding the pressure, I read the thread and didn't think to consider that as a potential cause of my issue. However, it is interesting to note that my propane regulator broke during our trip and I needed to stop using propane as a result. I just replaced the regulator and all of the propane appliances seem "happy," so I don't think this is related to the burner.

John