TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Default WDH Sway comparison

On my journey to find a WDH with sway control, I've compared a few popular WDH setups. This may help others new to towing to help them compare and choose a WDH. I've left a few comments beside some of the cheaper hitches that may explain why they're cheaper than the competition. In general, the more expensive hitches have nearly zero poor reviews on Amazon, and members here swear by them.

I hear a lot of people saying that sway control isn't necessary, but I also listen to my father who towed trailers at different times over the years. Aside from winds, passing semis, he also told me that antisway really helps on uneven pavement to keep the trailer from bouncing around if a wheel goes into a dip or pothole.

I have also heard some say that WDH transfers more weight to the trailer wheels, which increases the load on already marginal tires, if they haven't been upgraded. My answer to this is that they should be upgraded. I've heard that the wheels should be upgraded with tires too. I have yet to do mine, so we'll see if I follow my own advice, but I've had my trailer for only a few weeks so far.

Anyway, hopefully other newbies can benefit from my research here, even if it is a little limited.
WDH.pdf

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the data.

I've never used a sway bar while towing the TM. I've used one with conventional campers but not the TM. The overall height of 5ft 5" profile gives it a more stable towing characteristic.

RV

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
toolman

When I picked up my uaed TM 4 years ago I thought about a WDH and seay control since I had that setup years earlier when i was towing a 26' travel trailer. After our first trip it was clear there would be no need as the previous replu stated. There is nowhere near the wind resistance from the front or side. I'd suggest taking it on a short camping trip that represents the driving you will be doing and then make your decision.

TM - 2007 2720SL New to us 3/2/13
TV - 2009 Toyota Highlander V6 w/Tow Pkg
toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

My TM does visibly weigh down the back end of my Tahoe. It is probably because the levelling suspension no longer functions. Unloaded, the Tahoe rides level and well.

I towed this TM from Tacoma WA to Vancouver BC. With the exception of poor electrical connections between the TV and TM causing inoperative trailer brakes at times, it did tow well. By the time I load it up for camping, that could easily be adding 500 lbs (includes 2 kids). I consider the a WDH a matter of safety. It will restore weight onto the front wheels. The effects of this might not be noticeable in normal driving, but might be important in an emergency maneuver.

I'd agree that sway control is much less important with my Tahoe and TM, but I'm not too comfortable without a WDH.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
SCBillandJane

Default My experience

I towed a 3124 from South Carolina to Alaska, San Diego, Key West, Maine on different trips and several trips in the South East. I used a very primitive weight distributing hitch without sway control because the used trailer came equipped with it. There was zero sway regardless of load, wind, or road condition. In 2015 I replaced the Trailmanor with a relatively light 21 foot conventional height Trailer. Instant sway and lots of it. I have tried the Anderson and Blue Ox hitches which are high end. Both have helped in different ways,but in my opinion are over kill for a Trailmanor, but if you feel more confident, and therefore more likely to go camping you should buy what makes you comfortable.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
momto4girls

Our Tacoma supposedly has "built in sway control" with the tow package. I haven't seen anyone address this on the forum, but I'm trusting that it works. My husband and I are still undecided on weight distribution. We only camp locally--within a 2 hr drive. If we ever decide to make a long trip, we will definitely consider wdh since we would be carrying more stuff. Thanks for sharing the information!
Old 06-15-2017, 11:48 PM   #7
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Grand Cherokee from 2011 on also has firmware sway control, using a yaw sensor, the steering input, and it alternates the front brakes.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:21 AM   #8
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I was wondering how TV built in sway control works.

I'd feel better, if sway control were necessary, to eliminate it from the source instead of having a computer manipulate my brakes and steering. But that's me.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

I assume you are asking How it works, and not How well it works.

If you could apply the left and right trailer brakes independently, this would be the best way to do trailer sway control. But this isn't possible on most trailers - left and right brakes are always applied equally.

However, for the last few years, many tow vehicles have some sort of Stability Control built in. The Ford version is called Roll Stability Control (RSC). These systems work by applying the tow vehicle's left and right brakes independently when the motion of the tow vehicle calls for it. So if the trailer begins to sway, it yanks the tow vehicle around, the RSC senses the tow vehicle motion and corrects it, which stops the trailer sway. As I think you noted, this is an after-the-fact correction - it doesn't do anything until sway has already started. Like friction sway control, it is not as good as preventing sway in the first place.

There is a short article on eTrailer.com that mentions some of these same thoughts.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-61877.html

I have Built-In Sway Control on my F-150. Does it work? I don't know. I've never had any sway control on any of my tow vehicles, with or without RSC, and I've never experienced sway. TMs are designed not to sway.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Thanks Bill,

I guess my previous comment was vague, sorry about that. My original question was how it works, but Bruce effectively answered that for me.

My father once told me he got a blowout. The antisway on his WDH actually kept the blown out tire/rim off the ground. In fact, he barely knew he had a blowout. In this case, the antisway may have saved a rim. Also, he felt that the antisway also kept trailer wheels from "dipping" into unexpected potholes, which could damage tires or rims. These could be viable arguments for having antisway installed, even for a TM.

I am probably going to get the WDH without antisway, but make sure I have something to which antisway could be added if I change my mind in the future. This is partly influencing my choice from the list I posted.

The Reese 66073 with the included antisway sounds like a very good WDH, but expensive if antisway is not really necessary. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Reese 66021 which could have standard antisway install afterwards.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD