TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
MiniMe

Default Safe-t-Alert LP/CO detector issues

I have a 2010 TrailMini 18L. We've been having issues with our 70-742 detector and false alarms/warnings. We bought our trailer 1 year used and the alarm went off while camping during the night. We woke up, but did not notice any gas smell. Our propane heater was running and it is right next to the detector. We shut off the heater just in case, aired out the trailer, went back to sleep, but the alarm went off again. Didn't get much sleep that night and called the dealer the next morning. They recommended we just cut the wires.

We later had a tune-up/servicing done at our dealer and had them replace the detector with a new one. Now, when in storage in our garage, we can hear an intermittent beep about every 25-30 seconds or sometimes a constant, fast beeping. This seems to happen both on battery power AND when plugged in. We had the batteries replaced at the servicing too. Recently, we pulled it out just to air it out: plugged it in, opened the windows, turned on vent fan, etc. The propane bottles were closed and we did not turn on/use any of the appliances/toilet. The battery power read Good/Full. It was fine at first, but then the intermittent beep started the next day. Reset it, it was fine for awhile, then started up again. Called the dealer who said to bring it in as soon as we could. They're an hour drive from us so it's not an easy thing for us to do, so we closed it up, put it back in the garage, left the vent cover open, left it plugged in, now we hear the fast beeping in the trailer again. We don't park a car in the garage nor store anything in there that would cause the detector to go off.

Anyone else having issues with theirs or have any ideas for me? Safe-t-Alert said to have it tested, but this is already the 2nd unit we've had problems with.

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You'll find a lot of good info if you do a Search on terms like "alarm" or "detector". Here is one hit to get you started.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=13062

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
MiniMe

Thanks, Bill, but when I click on the link it says I don't have permission to access the page. I did try a search for detector, but can't find anyone having the same problems.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
BGR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMe View Post
Thanks, Bill, but when I click on the link it says I don't have permission to access the page. I did try a search for detector, but can't find anyone having the same problems.
Sign up on the forum and you will get 30 days access to the entire forum. After that you can get full access for $12 per year.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:25 AM   #5
Riwright
TrailManor Master

I found a manual here:

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2...als/70-742.pdf

But to tell you the truth it doesn't immediately suggest a solution. I would look at the pattern of the beeps and the what the lights are doing and see if that suggests anything to you.

Once you have the pattern of the lights and the beeping down I would call the manufacturer.

Check the battery voltage with a volt meter. My detector acts strange if battery voltage is low. Other than that it's well-behaved.

On one occasion it went strange on me. Just kept howling for no reason. I had to cut the wire in the back to get it to shut up. I let it sit for an hour or so and then hooked it back up. No problems since. If you can find a way to cut power to it that might perform a full reset of the device.

I also have a second CO detector that I keep in the sleeping area. It has a digital readout of the CO level. It would be good to check with two detectors. It doesn't sound like there is actually a CO problem but if there is then it's a bad thing.

Propane levels you can cross-check with your nose.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Never had an issue. If its not the alarm sound, but the short beeping that's an indicator that the voltage is to low. This could be from the battery being low or a bad connection in the wire.

FYI: my unit is for both LP and CO
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote