TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff the marmot View Post
Has anyone seen a cheap version of that with basically just a handle and a few wheels (non_motorized), such as something that could literally be pinned in place of the existing TM tongue jack's wheel but with a handle to easily steer it? I don't want to spend almost a thousand dollars on one of the fancy motorized ones. And I'm only looking to fine tune the position of my 2720 in my concrete floor garage and jockey back and forth a few times to move it to the side a bit.

Jeff
Jeff -

I routinely fine-tune the position of my TM on the concrete garage floor, using the OEM tongue wheel. I push and pull on the TM's jack stem, which seems to work well. Does this not work for you?

The Harbor Freight dolly is their item #69898, I think. I have one for jockeying my boat trailer around. It is rated to handle 600 lbs, and even though that is a bit optimistic, it should be adequate for the tongue of a TM on a smooth level surface. You will want to exchage the 1 7/8 inch hitch ball for a 2 inch ball. As ThePair noted, the tires always seem to be flat when you go to use the dolly, and that is frustrating, but it is easily prevented by buying a couple properly-sized inner tubes and installing them. Cheap and easy to do.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #12
Jeff the marmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Jeff -
I routinely fine-tune the position of my TM on the concrete garage floor, using the OEM tongue wheel. I push and pull on the TM's jack stem, which seems to work well. Does this not work for you?
I've had to make that work for me, but I wonder if there's a better way to do it.

Thanks for the info about the Harbor Frieght option. I think I'll go that route since I'm not trying to do much with it.

One of the motorized solutions would seem to be the "right" tool for the job if you can afford it.

2009 2720SD, swing tongue added by pro welder, Dometic toilet, LEDs inside and out, one solar panel so far, rear view camera, and larger wheels and tires.
2007 4-door Tacoma
Jeff the marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
I tried several options, including the non motorized version but ended up with a powermover AC6. I spoke to them several times and they were happy to answer all my questions. It is worth every penny. I can position my TM within 2" of my garage on a CR-6 pad with a slight incline with one hand. They are not inexpensive, but certainly less than the cost of back surgery or a run away TM. I also modified the wiring in the PM's trailer plug to allow me to use the TM battery for the brake rather than adding an external battery.
Same mod done here. Makes it that much easier to use!

On the rare (only happened once) chance the TM batteries were low, I just plugged the TM in. Still easier than using an external battery pack.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
rumbleweed

A neat trick if you are using a hand dolly, Tie a short piece of line on the break away brake cable and run it to the handle of the dolly. In case you ever lose control of the TM, just pull the cable to activate the e brake.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
moaboy

Check this out...there is a new product being imported from Australia. Something like purplepeoplemover...
They are a company that make small electric motors that mount in front of each tire. You then engage a small cylinder like wheel against the tire. Then using a small remote control you can move your RV forward, backward or a combination of the two thus turning it.
I have talked to these folks and have been very impressed with them. I plan to purchase a set this spring. The only possible concern is the location of the front step, thus a bit of a tight fit on the door side.
Unit runs $1200-1400 depending on which of two models: 1. Manual engagement against the tire, 2. Adjustable engagement against the tire that allows one to vary the amount of tension on the tire.
Neat thing is one person can position there RV up a grade, in a tight place, while walking around to make sure you are not hitting an obstruction.
Will let you know how it turns out, but I plan to do this when Spring comes and assuming it will fit. Sorry I don't have their exact website, but saw it on Chuck W RV newsletter. Other companies makes these, but I like the design and performance of these units the best. Could be somewhat revolutionary...
Check it out and share your thoughts.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #16
ThePair
TrailManor Master

This what you're talking about?

http://www.easyhitch.com.au/EasyHitch/Home.html
Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
moaboy

Similar.
Purple Line is the company I am looking at. There are about 5 companies I know of that make these. Mostly if not all out of Australia.
Purple Line now has a representative working in this country.

Seems like these are more versatile than a powered dolly and no more expensive.
I like the fact that one would have good visibility as you can position yourself around your TM as you move it. And you don't have the problem of packing a dolly. My only concern-assuming it will fit- is the issue of ground clearance, but should be ok. This would allow one person to park their TM in a garage, camp site etc. and would facilitate hitching up as well.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #18
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Similar.
Purple Line is the company I am looking at. There are about 5 companies I know of that make these. Mostly if not all out of Australia.
Purple Line now has a representative working in this country.

Seems like these are more versatile than a powered dolly and no more expensive.
I like the fact that one would have good visibility as you can position yourself around your TM as you move it. And you don't have the problem of packing a dolly. My only concern-assuming it will fit- is the issue of ground clearance, but should be ok. This would allow one person to park their TM in a garage, camp site etc. and would facilitate hitching up as well.
I don't disagree at all. As long as the traction holds on whatever kind of incline you might have -- I have a 4-5% grade (or thereabouts), and there was some concern about traction in my case, especially if the driveway was wet, so I opted for the powermover type dolly.

I'd make sure there was an appropriate way to mount these to the TM. If you do get a set, please post here for the rest of us to know how it went!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #19
moneeleann

This intrigued me too. I ended up ordering the motorized dolly though. What clinched it for me was another 85 pounds being added to the camper, right at the axle area. This would have been way cooler though. Maybe someday when I get a beefier tow vehicle.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #20
moaboy

The Purple Line people have a video that compares a number of these units...in all kinds of conditions..up grades etc. ok, guess which one performs the best?
Sarcasm aside it is interesting tests they put the units through. As soon as the weather improves...I'm gonna get serious about installing a pair and will let you know how it goes.