TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2003, 07:03 PM   #1
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Default Plug my TM to the Clothes Dryer Outlet

Has anyone tried connecting their TM to the clothes dryer outlet. My dryer's nameplates say 4 amps for the motor and 23 amps for other accesories. Seems like more than enough to run the A/C.

We were putting away some things that we plan to keep in the trailer and found that it was getting incredibley hot (Florida) in there. Found myself wishing I could run the A/C while it's parked by the house.
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:00 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Plug my TM to the Clothes Dryer Outlet

I think that electric dryer outlets are 220v...Don't think that's a good idea. I think that's why the plugs are different, but I'm not sure. Might blow the heck out of your converter

They gave us a plug adapter for our TM when we bought it, so you could plug it into house current, they are like $5 (a lot cheaper than replacing the converter).

Check with an electrician to be sure, I am not one, but kind of remember having to add an extra line from the telephone pole to handle the current when we updated an old house and wanted to use an electric dryer (it didn't have 220 before).

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:08 PM   #3
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

duh!! You guys are right. Thanks... open to any suggestion for A/C :P
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

[quote author=grill-n-go link=board=7;threadid=1322;start=msg9204#msg9204 date=1063760607]
Has anyone tried connecting their TM to the clothes dryer outlet. My dryer's nameplates say 4 amps for the motor and 23 amps for other accesories. Seems like more than enough to run the A/C.
[/quote]
Yep, it's more than enough power to run the A/C. Unfortunately it will also let the smoke out of the electrical components in the TM. This is not a good thing. Any electrician or electronics repairman will tell you that the equipment really runs on smoke and when you let it out, it won't work no more
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:23 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

http://www.brwholesale.com/products....5f9484133cb3b0

I think this is what you need...you can plug your TM cord into this and this into your household current via extension cord (we use the orange kind).

Do any of you other TM owners have this?
B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:31 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

My dealer gave me one of those thingies when I bought my TM. Works like a charm. Use if before every trip to power up my TM so I can cool down the refer.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 01:33 AM   #7
ColoradoCop

Ditto on using the adapter to cool the fridge, have used it to run A/C while parked at the fairgrounds during annual fair. Works great, and is cheap!

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 09-17-2003, 08:21 AM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

grill-n-go,
Actually you could run the TM A/C off of the dryer outlet. The dryer outlet has 4 supply wires connected; 2 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground. You (our your electrician) could make up a plug/adapter that taps only 1 of the 2 hot wires, the neutral and the ground. Another way is to install a 30a outlet next to the dryer outlet wired into one side of the dryer outlet. Just don't try to run the dryer and the TM A/C at the same time.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:33 PM   #9
Happytrails

Yes, an adapter is DEFINATELY the way to go, but be careful guys, those simple little 3" long go through jobs won't handle the load if it's too much. If you buy an adapter, spend a few bucks and get one that's like 10" long with a cord and all, not the plug deal......it can burn up if you're not careful. I have one of the small ones for a backup, but I wouldn't run my ac and everything else if plugged into that one. At home, I use my heavy duty one.....

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]
Old 09-18-2003, 07:42 PM   #10
Windbreaker

I think the big trick here is making sure your house is wired for 30amp. Lot of homes are only wired for 20, could burn down your home trying to cool the TM. :-\