TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
pauloh

Default Reese WDH Trunnion bar defect (or owner defect?)

I bought a Reese weight-distributing hitch (Reese 49586-020 Trunnion for WD Pro Series) a couple of months ago, from Amazon. (This was a package unit, all parts included in the box, nothing bought separate except my tow ball.) Finally trying to install it today, after studying the parts and instructions several times the past few weeks. I am at the stage of trying to insert the trunnion bars into the hitch. This I cannot seem to do no matter what I try. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, doing all the TM stuff like fixing fridge wiring, putting on tires, greasing bearings, etc. though perfectly capable of stupid mistakes. I looked at several videos at etrailer.com, none are identical to mine, but it seems you just insert the trunnion with it rotated parallel with TV's bumper (also per instructions here), then turn it back toward the TM. Mine just don't seem to go in far enough (lower pin) to allow the upper pin of the trunnion to slide into the groove there, or that upper pin hits before you get in far enough. THEN, I tried the trunnion upside down. It glided right into place. Mounted this way, the trunnion can wobble or rattle a little in it's locked position, but seems secure and I am guessing this is about how they feel when normally installed. I found one reference to Reese manufacturing parts wrong in another forum, is it possible this is my problem? I am in a rural area, no way to go check this somewhere at a dealer, but I could order another set of bars and see if I have the same issue I suppose. Thanks for setting me straight if you see what I've missed here. Several photos attached I hope will show what I'm seeing....does it look like the trunnion heads are upside down from the bars, by any chance? The bars are stamped "made in China" and I assume this would normally be on the bottom of the bar, which is where it is when the Reese label is upright on the trunnion head. But I don't know how the head/bar angle is supposed to normally look. The bar seems to taper downward toward the TM, which does seem like it should be. Haven't tried hooking up the chains or anything with the upside-down installation!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110623-3679.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	6024   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110623-3681.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	6025   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110623-3683.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	6026   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110623-3684.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	6027   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110623-3685.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	6028  

TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
brulaz

I have the identical hitch.

Place the bar at right angles to the shank, or angled even more toward the truck. Tilt the chain end of the bar toward the ground.

Tilt the top "pin" back toward the truck. (you seem to have it tilted more toward the trailer).

Put the bottom pin all the way into the hole. Or the top won't fit.
Lift up so the top pin is in position and rotate that bar toward the trailer.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
brulaz

And yes, the markings should NOT be upside-down.

Actually I had the same problem the first time, but there was somebody there to show me how to do it.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
pauloh

Thanks, Bruce! I have tried again, both sides, both bars. I haven't gotten it yet. Trying to follow your advice to the letter. The bottom pin seemingly will not go all the way to its hole before the top pin (or shoulder of the top pin) hits the top part of the hitch/shank, there in its groove or nearby, no matter what angle I try. It just seems too "tall" or the shank/hitch area is too short (so it seems). There is a lot of paint on those pins, I've worn some off but I don't think that's it. I can see the groove I assume the top pin should align with to enter its hole (assuming the bottom pin would go all the way in.) The top pin hits in there and is stopped, before the bottom pin gets all the way in.

I'm glad to hear you had the same problem, I'm sure I just haven't found the technique yet. I do have my hitch/shank (and ball) tilted back a little so that may be why it looks like the pin is tilted back also. I cannot see a way to tilt the top pin more toward the truck without completely missing the groove for the top pin to slide in.

Thanks again, I'll try it with fresh muscles in the morning and if I do get it will report back. I was angrily contemplating another WDH but will try try again on this one. Might try calling the mfr. (800 # on the instructions) and see if they answer the phone. It was after 5 here when I ran into this issue today, so thanks again for your reply.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
brulaz

What you need is a YouTube video of this. Maybe one exists already? (EDIT: Oh, I see you've already looked)

Anyway, if you still have a problem (and if it ever stops raining here), I'll go out and take a series of photos of the way i do it.

Who knows, although your equipment looks ok from here, it may just be out of spec in some way.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
brulaz

OK, it stopped raining!
Here's a photo of the angles I use to get it in:
Hitch Bar Install

Turns out I don't really tilt the top pin back toward the truck. But the whole bar is angled toward the truck and down to the ground as in the picture. I can then insert the lower pin into its hole and lift up on the chain end of the bar to get the top pin into position. Then rotate the chain end of the bar back to the trailer.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
brulaz

Looking at your photos again, you seem to be really close to getting it in.

Perhaps it is just a case of heavy paint, like you say, or a slight over-thickness.

Have you tried putting it in proper position and then yanking it up hard? These things are not delicate so I wouldn't worry about breaking anything.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
pauloh

I have tried some brute force without success. I called Reese (or whatever corporation owns them I forget, using the 800# on the instructions). They answered in about 8 minutes. They want me to return it (to Amazon) or if that won't work, call them back and "we'll work with you". The box was destroyed in shipping here and returning to Amazon probably won't be an option as it was over 30 days ago (my fault for sitting on this project so long). Reese stated that without seeing it they can't resolve issue. Offer to send photos was politely ignored. Helpful, but distant I guess you could say. One problem (also of my own making) is that I'd like to take my TM on the road in 10 days and don't really have much time for exchange. So am thinking of ordering another hitch, a different model probably, just to get moving. However, I may try grinding a little off the top pin first. Makes me a little nervous but it may not take much, hard to tell.

Your photo (thanks!) looks like you have total easy clearance for inserting your trunnion compared to what I am seeing. When I am in this position, either the top pin hits way too early, or (if repositioned slightly) the inside "shoulder" of the trunnion below the top pin hits on an protrusion at the opening of the groove. I may grind slightly on both and see if I can get in. It does look close.

If you have the time, kindly check yours for a couple things:
1. The top pin on my trunnions is slightly rounded, while the bottom pin is almost perfectly flat (it slopes a bit but is flat). True on yours also? Your top pin looks flatter than mine (though mine still has paint involved there).
2. The distance from top of top pin to bottom of bottom pin is 4.5 inches.
3. The distance (approx.) from bottom of the hole for the top pin, to the top of the hole for the bottom pin, is about 3.5 inches. It is therefore an inch "short", though I recognize the tilt of the trunnion going in should get around this to some degree (just not in my case, apparently).

Thanks once again. I thought setting the chains and the rest of setting up the WDH was going to be the hard part....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
brulaz

Maybe more pictures will help. Scroll down to the the end of the album:
Elkmont Photos

There's a couple with measurements there. About 11 cm total. The top pin is about 2cm to its shoulder, the bottom about the same depending upon how you measure it (maybe 1.5cm on the side toward the bar). The receiver is about 9.5 cm.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
pauloh

The photos are so helpful, thanks. It looks like your trunnions are virtually identical to mine in all respects. I may have mis-measured earlier, the depth from one pin end to the other pin end is more like 4.25 inches as I believe your photos show.

I am going to post a couple photos here of the insert/hitch assembly. Can't tell from your photos exactly (but thanks for getting your ruler all greasy!), does this look like yours as well? It may not. I believe I may have an option for anti-sway bars (which I know I probably will not need with the TM). There is an extra (small) hole there it seems. Also there is a sticker on this part which I just noticed refers to different sizes of "spring bars". I guess that refers to my trunnion bars in another way, at least I hope it's not for round bars only or something.

Still just wondering if I may have a wrong or defective part from the factory somewhere, or if instead I just don't "get it". My buddy and I are going to grind a little on it tonight and see what happens in any case. I'm stuck for now. On to some less hefty projects for this afternoon...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110624-3691.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	6030   Click image for larger version

Name:	20110624-3690.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	6031