TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
Pitbull

If you want one of the last full ladder frame, solid rear axle SUV (Toyota 4Runner). It has a 4L V6 - 270hp/278 lb.ft. and gets 17/22 mpg. It has a 5K lbs tow rating. Some available features; full-time 4WD with a limited slip/locking center diff, locking rear diff, low range transfer case, KDSS - Electronically controlled sway bars that can completely disengage for better wheel articulation (keeps traction) or tighten them to almost eliminate plowing/leaning (in turns), special off road features like crawl control (kinda like off-road cruise control), Many high tech safety systems that link to a drive train mode selector (for different terrains). Would be perfect for the TM.

Koz
Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
Beak12

And the year and price and miles??

John
Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #23
T and C
TrailManor Master

Angry tow package or maybe not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
The original question was related to should I buy a Jeep Cherokee, Explorer or Trailblazer. Since I have recently owned a 2003 Explorer and now a 2009 Chevy Trailblazer I thought I would comment so at least the person does not make the same mistakes I did. Bill is probably correct when he notes that the older Explorers are good tow vehicles,... if you get the class 3 towing package. When I bought my first small trailer, I assumed because my 2003 Explorer had a trailer hitch, (albeit the smaller class 2), I assumed it had a the towing package. After I had the SUV for a couple of years or so and did more research, I realized the Explorer with the Class 2 hitch only has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs, compared to the Explorer with the Class 3 hitches which is 5000 lbs. Consequently, when I towed my 2720SL around curves on the highway, I was limited to 60 mph and anything above this it did not feel stable. This is probably because my trailer was 4200 lbs and my tow vehicle did not have this capacity. So if you are buying an older Ford Explorer make sure you buy one with the 2 inch - class 3 hitch receiver and not the smaller class 2 hitch.

With the 2009 Chevy trailblazer rated at 5200 lbs towing capacity it handles well going around curves from 60 to 70 mph. The only time I have found the need to slow down to 60 mph was with a strong wind. Yes, I know I should not go over 65 because of the tires, but I am usually around 65 mph or less 95% of the time. I imagine the Ford Explorer with the 5000 lb towing capacity would handle similar to the Chevy Trailblazer as far as cornering goes.
I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada at the edge of the mountains so I am always driving up and down 3000 foot mountains. I must say that the Chevy trailblazer with the 275 hp in-line six gives me more power and an additional 10 mph speed up same steep hill (60mph vs 50 mph), than did my 210 hp Ford Explorer. In more rolling or gentle country, you probably would not even notice the difference, but in the mountains it makes the towing setup a little more responsive which is an additional feature.

One other difference between the Explorer and Trailblazer was the Explorer that I had was full time all 4-wheel drive and the Trailblazer has 2 wheel drive as well as all 4-wheel drive. I tow in the two wheel drive. One thing I found out about the Trailblazer today from my dealer is that even though the owner's manual says it is okay to put it in auto 4 wheel drive in wet conditions, it is not a good idea, and the transfer case can bind going around sharp 90 degree turns especially as the road starts to dry out. The dealer told me that even on wet roads I should stay in the 2 wheel drive mode. Apparently the Ford Explorer has a central differential which allows the vehicle to be in all wheel drive all the time, which the Chevy Trailblazer does not in the auto mode.

In summary, I know it is a no brainer, but make sure you get the Explorer with the class 3 hitch and if you get a Chevy Trailblazer you should tow in the 2 wheel drive mode just about all the time, unless it is snowing or very very slippery conditions. I am not an expert on any of this but thought I would share what I learned from a couple of my mistakes that might help others.
When I have shopped for used pickups I have learned that they are frequently advertised as having tow packages when they actually only have a hitch. Sometimes, just a ball mounted on the bumper!

Sooooo..I always check for a transmission cooler, usually mounted in front of the radiator, before I believe salesmen's claims about the tow package.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Sooooo..I always check for a transmission cooler, usually mounted in front of the radiator, before I believe salesmen's claims about the tow package.

Tom
I'm not sure how trucks are built these days, but my old 1971 Chevy 4wd truck had the transmission cooler inside the radiator. No tow package installed as far as I know.

I added second transmission cooler in front of the radiator. The hot fluid flowed first through the radiator and then through my added exterior cooler.

I was preparing to tow a trailer for 2 weeks around the Nevada desert in July, when it is frequently warm.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #25
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I'm not sure how trucks are built these days, but my old 1971 Chevy 4wd truck had the transmission cooler inside the radiator. No tow package installed as far as I know.
My Astro is the same way. Both tranny fluid and engine oil flow through the radiator for cooling... and it doesn't have the FTP. I too added the auxillary tranny cooler, as well as a tranny temp gauge.