TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-09-2003, 07:25 PM   #1
Russ-Bett

Default Satellite and Mudflaps

Apparently you can't run a satellite signal through the cable connection in the TM -- at least not in our 2003 2619. In order to make use of my dishnetwork unit, I drilled a whole in the telephone face plate for a coupler, then ran a short cable down and out through the grill work in back of the refrigerator. Now we have a great satellite signal in our TM.

On our two first trips we faced the problem of the rear wheels of our truck throwing up dirt, etc. on the front of the TM. I looked all over for mud flaps (splash guards) and found every thing from a very expensive set from Camping World to my final choice -- A $9.00 set of splash guards from Auto Zone. It took me about an hour to mount them. They look great and it looks like they will do the job.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:06 PM   #2
ColoradoCop

Default Re:Satellite and Mudflaps

I added mud flaps to my tv right after having to clean mud from the front of the TM. They sure make a difference on how the TM looks after a long road trip in the rain and stones. Recomend for everyone who hates to wash dried mud and tar from the front of the TM.

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 08-13-2003, 07:17 AM   #3
Windbreaker

Did you get your flaps from Autozone also?

RE: satellite, we just run our wire up under the flap between upper/lower. No problems.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:00 AM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

[quote author=Russ-Bett link=board=7;threadid=1150;start=0#msg7946 date=1060478735]
Apparently you can't run a satellite signal through the cable connection in the TM -- at least not in our 2003 2619. In order to make use of my dishnetwork unit, I drilled a whole in the telephone face plate for a coupler, then ran a short cable down and out through the grill work in back of the refrigerator. Now we have a great satellite signal in our TM.

[/quote]

I have used my satellite through the cable hookup...I don't understand why yours didn't work. Did you check the connectors on the back of the panel inside? Maybe the cable is loose on the back of the panel, causing some problems, but ours seems to work just fine.

As for the mudflaps, I thought about them at one point, and I decided to put an extra coat or two of wax on the front of the TM, and that keeps it a lot cleaner.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
ColoradoCop

I got lazy and had the GM dealer put "Official Blazer" flaps on when I had the car in for an oil change. ;D

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 08-13-2003, 05:54 PM   #6
Happytrails

I don't understand either, a sat connection and a cable connection are the exact same thing. I had a sat setup a while back to run it all through the house, switched to cable, and used the same junction...........It really should work.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 08-13-2003, 08:43 PM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

There is a difference. A satellite cable has a direct current on it. A cable connection does not. A special splitter/combiner is required to connect the 2 types together.

The DC on the satellite cable is used to power the LNB and preamp at the dish. It needs to be blocked before or at at the exterior connection on the TM. There is also a DC component on the TV antenna on the TM. This DC is isolated from the external cable input in the internal amplifier circuit.

If a satellite cable is working through the TM cable connector, it must have a built in DC blocking capacitor.

MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:44 PM   #8
Happytrails

Mike, good input, I never knew nor thought about that. I did know my Sat had a third wire, that grounded, but always thought that was simply a ground in case the sat got hit by lightning or something.....is that what it's really for? Otherwise there is simply two connections, the cable in the middle, and the outside part that screws onto the connector........sorry, just curious how that works. My cable modem only has two connections just like my cable TV. My Sat does have a light on it, a Sony, to let ya know when everything's lined up, so do know power gets up to the dish.......just trying to understand what's going on with everything.............

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 08-14-2003, 06:06 PM   #9
Windbreaker

Mike knows more about this than I do but when we went to satellite they had to rewire the house because the cable used by the cable co. and that required by the satellite were not the same, the satellite was heavier.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:22 AM   #10
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Windy,
The primary reason for the new wire in your house is legal not performance. The heavier wire does provide some performance improvement but the real reason it was changed is that the satellite company is prevented by law from using the cable company's installation.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote