TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-11-2003, 10:38 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Checklist (Part 1)

On the Interstates in the flatlands, I have maintained 75 mph for hours on end, with no problems. Both the TM and the Explorer are happy. But running at this speed just beats the gas mileage into the dirt. On our last cross-country trip, my wife and I agreed to maintain 65 mph, and it was a walk in the park. The TM was real happy, the Explorer stayed in Overdrive (if you want to discuss this issue, start a separate thread, please), and the gas mileage increased by 20%. At the end of the day, we had done fewer miles, but we were less tired. A good trade.

If you have a lighter tow vehicle (or a heavier TM), 65 mph on the Interstates in the flatlands would be safe. Of course, I have to add the standard disclaimer - some states in the midwest set the speed limit lower for trucks and trailers. I take my cue from the 18-wheelers.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:42 PM   #12
efelker

FJ:

The first step under Level Trailer is to do the front to back. The rest of the steps are the side-to-side piece. Since I'll be buying a new TM, I'm from the "Use the Sizzors-Jack School of Thought." The procedure after leveling fore and aft, is to start side to side with the part that's off level the most. It's probably way easier to use leveling blocks, but I decided to use the procedure that is contained in the manual for NEW TMs.

What would make using the scizzors jack WAY easier is to set up at home using level inside on the floor & cabinets and keep adjusting until you have the level as near perfect as possible. Then mount the bubble levels at the corners permanently that way you don't have to keep moving a torpedo level.

Another helpful hint is to level the trailer using these bubble levels similar to how a surveyer would level a transit. That procedure has you establish a reference and then level everything else to that. For example, (assume the scixxors are numbered 1-4, right rear 1, rt frt 2, lft frt 3, lft rear 4), lower 1 until some load is removed from trailer. Lower 2 until line through 1 & 2 is level. Level 2-3 by using jack 3 only. Level 3 - 4 by using jack 4 only. When you check 1-4, it should be level. This procedure sounds more complicated than it is. If you put levels on the 4 corners, basically what you are doing is looking at the level and adjusting the jack that is under that corner only.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:49 PM   #13
efelker

I also have a winterization, storage, and new trailer acceptance checklists. I found copyrighted checklists others had done and modified them for a TM. I was reluctant to post them because of the copyright part; although by already being posted on another website that should make them "public domain." But just to keep the Philadelphia Lawyers off my butt, I did not post them. If you want them, send me an email and I'll forward them to you. My email is in the sponser's list.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:32 AM   #14
arknoah

Eileen and Tom,

I can also maintain about 70 miles an hour on interstates with no difficulty, since I have a pretty powerful motor. One caution that I heard from Paul Huevelhorst, however, is that trailer tires are generally designed to go no faster than 55 miles per hour -- which means lots of us are potentially doing damage to our tires by the way we drive. Of course, I don't pay too mich attention to that any more than the next guy, but it does really emphasize the importance of checking the inflation pressure regularly, looking for signs of wear on the tires and keeping them otherwise maintained to be as safe as possible on the road.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:17 PM   #15
ColoradoCop

Great set of checklists, thanks. In ref to the towing speed, I was able to pull at 70 - 75MPH for my trip from CO to NY and back. Check with a local tire sales to find the speed rating of your tires. Mine are rated at road speed (70 - 75 MPH) and by all means watch yor tire pressures and check the warmth of the tires when you stop to refuel.

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 08-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #16
Happytrails

Lol, not to mention watch out for a cop in Colorado with a thing for TM's.........lol, Juuuuuuuust pickin..........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]

Old 08-12-2003, 06:20 PM   #17
efelker

Bill:

Wonder if Colorado's 70-75 was with the lights on and siren blaring, TM in tow... wouldn't that be a hoot!!??

Just kidding CO -- you guys certainly have my admiration -- military, law enforcement, firefighter -- who else have a job description that says they might pay the ultimate price for the service they provide us.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:44 AM   #18
ColoradoCop

You in a heap of trouble, Boy! Actually, my TM is used as a command center during various operations by the Deptartment. Haven't had to do any high speed runs yet, and actually hoping we won't. I don't want this to get around, but if I stop a TM most of the conversation will most likely be on how do you like it.

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 08-13-2003, 07:26 AM   #19
Windbreaker

You state highway or city? If city, what city? Might be headed that way next fall, almost was last week but mom got sick and had to stop in Amarillo.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:24 AM   #20
ColoradoCop

County Sheriff's Department. We are located on I-70, starting at the Kansas Border and going West for 60 miles. Total territory 2400 square miles for Kit Carson County.

ColoradoCop 8)

P.S. This is me without the glasses and looking for TM's :