TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
spam4us

Default Where is the wood?

I am under the impression from the videos on the Trailmanor site that the Trailmanor does not have any wood. However, after reading Mr Geek's reply in the General discussion about the Hold-Down latch pulling out it looks like wood is still being used.
I also read in one of the forums that starting on a certain model year, that wood was replaced with aluminum.

Does anyone know for sure if wood still being used and the locations that it is used at?
If it was discontinued starting with a certain model year, does anyone know what year?

Oh.... and thanks to everyone for your replies about hot/cold beds.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There has been a lot of discussion, and this question has been addressed for a number of models and years. Rather than repeat it all, please use the Search tool on the term "wood" to bring it up. For example
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8899

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
jhill30

I can tell you this, according to a brief discussion with ed at the factory a few months ago, they are still using wood strips along the edges so that they have something to staple the seals to. I wish they would go to something that didn't rot though, these are notorious for rotting out.

John
Old 10-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill30 View Post
I can tell you this, according to a brief discussion with ed at the factory a few months ago, they are still using wood strips along the edges so that they have something to staple the seals to. I wish they would go to something that didn't rot though, these are notorious for rotting out.

John
What to you base your last comment on ("these are notorious for rotting out"). My last TM was 12-years-old and had no such issues. I haven't seen any reports of it on this forum.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
jhill30

sure, there have been several people, on this forum, that have reported having wood rot. including me.....
The seals are held on by staples into the wood. If the caulk that is on the upper shell is not checked frequently and replaced, then water can / will run down into the seals and rot out the wood that is holding them in place. I owned mine for 2 years before I discovered it. It is not noticeable until it is too late, or you get to prying around and find it. I noticed one of the screws pulling out on mine, and tried to screw it back into nothing....starting prying around and ended up replacing the entire upper shell seal and wood. Not a fun project..

John
Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill30 View Post
sure, there have been several people, on this forum, that have reported having wood rot. including me.....
The seals are held on by staples into the wood. If the caulk that is on the upper shell is not checked frequently and replaced, then water can / will run down into the seals and rot out the wood that is holding them in place. I owned mine for 2 years before I discovered it. It is not noticeable until it is too late, or you get to prying around and find it. I noticed one of the screws pulling out on mine, and tried to screw it back into nothing....starting prying around and ended up replacing the entire upper shell seal and wood. Not a fun project..

John
Your trailer is a 2001 and has an all wood frame. There have been several posts about all wood framed trailers having wood-rot in the lower frames.

You made a statement, "they are still using wood strips along the edges so that they have something to staple the seals to." This was news to me and I haven't seen any posts about it on the aluminum frame trailers. I guess that I should have made that more clear.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

I believe the "stapling strips" for the seals are all now made from plastic (perhaps as early as 2006). I base that opinion on some previous investigation that I did and posted at:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=9234

Posts # 5, 7 and 9 discuss the findings and have some pictures.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
spam4us

If you look at post#10 in the link below, Mr Geek talks about rot in a 2005 model.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10919

This is what prompted my question about wood being used in the TM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam4us View Post
If you look at post#10 in the link below, Mr Geek talks about rot in a 2005 model.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10919

This is what prompted my question about wood being used in the TM.
I missed that post (too busy working on my trailer ). That's the 1st post that I have seen like that (evidently, I don't read all of the posts)..

I wonder why they used wood there, of all places???????

Does anyone know what thickness the aluminum tubing is in the framing?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
jhill30

as I stated before, it is my understanding from Ed at the factory, that they are still to this day using the wood (attached to the aluminum frame) where they have to staple the seals. Someone with a new TM might can verify this.
My '01 has mostly aluminum. There is wood around the door and where the seals are for sure. Probably other places as well, just haven't discovered it yet.