TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
bluwtr49

Default Towing with Toyota 4runner V6

I'm looking at the traimanors and wonder if anyone is towing a V6 toyota. Any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks for any comments
Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Scott O

There are many people towing with the V6 Toyota power plant. It is plenty powerful, at least for the 2619 and 2700 series TMs. The issue is not with the engine in this case, it is with the towing capacity of the vehicle. If you do a search, you will find the 4Runner has been much discussed. And welcome to the forum...
Old 10-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
bluwtr49

Thanks for the reply and I did search around and read some of the posts. Just wanted to see if there were any additional comments available. If it looks favavorable, I will start seriously search for a nice used unit.

Tow capacity is 5,000 lbs so I would like to stay at ~4,000 lbs loaded. Also would use a WD hitch with sway control just to keep safe. The one question I keep running across is that it appears the V6 model factory hitch assy is not to be used with a WD system. I'm a little unclear about that so any user comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and best regards.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
gcubed

It should be no problem. I am towing with a 2007 odyssey and had no problems going up the grapevine at 60mph. I have a 2619.

Eventually I will upgrade my tow vehicle.

-Gregg
Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Smile which "generation" of 4R? Standard hitch is OK in Gen-4 models.

Hi, blu.

As you already know (I hope ) the 4R has been around for a long time, and it's had several major re-designs. The newest, 2009-11, we call "Generation-5". I'm pretty familiar with previous version, 2005-2008, having owned two of them. (The first, a V8, was destroyed by collision from a man who died at the wheel of a large delivery van. The 2nd, a V6, is our current Trailmanor TV.)

So they call mine "Gen-4". The previous version, from about 2001 (???) to 2004, is referred to as "Gen-3", and you might be shopping in that marketplace. I've not looked at the Hitch Receiver in those years; so, although they're widely used used by TM owners, it might be less "beefy" than mine. But in Gen-4, I know them both very well- and, per my two vehicles (V8 R.I.P. and current V6) I've actually owned and towed my TM with both the "heavy duty" and "standard hitch receivers!

The less ostentatious "standard" hitch receiver is actually very, very strong. One pair of bolts, goes upwards, into the bottom of the box frame, and another pair goes sideways, into the tall side member at the rear. There's lots of steel, with extra "bulges" to reinforce the shape - and the steel is just as thick as the frame itself. And so, even though Toyota wants to sell the big "square box" hitch as an Option, I don't think that it's appropriate on the 4R. (Toyota does make bigger vehicles, like the Tundra, in which the "heavy duty" receiver is useful.) But in the 4R, I think it's overkill, unnecessary- you'll exceed other limitations of the vehicle before you exceed the capabilities of the hitch receiver.

So- if you're shopping within Gen-4 model years, I recommend that you allow both. Limiting yourself to only those vehicles equipped with the "heavy-duty" option would eliminate tons of well-qualified vehicles from your shopping consideration.

BTW, the 4R never feels "5000 lbs" or "4000 lbs" or any other actual mass of the towed trailer. It feels only the load on the hitch (dead weight and torque, and resistance to changes in momentum). So it's really only a suggestion-- if you drive a 3500 lb trailer really badly, trying to stop on a dime and accelerate like a cheetah and turn corners like a jack rabbit, you can get into plenty of trouble already. Drive smoothly, and stay keenly aware of nearby idiots on the roadway. In deciding where to put your stuff, do this:

(1) NEVER exceed a tire rating- try to have a comfortable margin.
(2) NEVER exceed an axle rating.
(3) NEVER exceed a GWV.

The 4R has a very limited payload before exceeding GWV. After you fill it with gas, sit in the driver's seat, and seat your passengers, snacks, etc., you won't have a lot of capacity left. And so, with the 4R, unless you're getting an older TM model with the 3500lb axle and 14" tires issue, I'm recommending that you plan on loading your TM more, and your TV less.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
msager

We tow with a 2000 Sienna. We have a 3023 trailer. The Sienna was purchased with the factory towing package and has a max towing rating of 3500 pounds. The 3023 is 2950 empty. We figure that we are pretty close to the 3500 when we are on the road. The Sienna has pulled us all over the western US. We have even gone up the Tioga Pass to Yosemite which is a big climb. Power is not the real issue. I would like a little more brakes, but the Sienna meets our needs well.

Art
Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by msager View Post
We tow with a 2000 Sienna. We have a 3023 trailer. The Sienna was purchased with the factory towing package and has a max towing rating of 3500 pounds. The 3023 is 2950 empty. We figure that we are pretty close to the 3500 when we are on the road. The Sienna has pulled us all over the western US. We have even gone up the Tioga Pass to Yosemite which is a big climb. Power is not the real issue. I would like a little more brakes, but the Sienna meets our needs well.

Art
I would highly recommend that you take your trailer to a scale on your way to your next camping trip.....I'll bet you a Coke that you are closer to 4500# loaded than you are to 3500#. My 2720 weighs 4000# (on the scales) loaded and there is just the 2 of of us.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Toyota v6 works quite well for towing. 2006 Sienna and 2009 2720SL here, no problems towing in the flat Midwest, at least ;-)

And yes, I've weighed in just at the limit.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwtr49 View Post
I'm looking at the traimanors and wonder if anyone is towing a V6 toyota. Any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks for any comments
I've posted my weight data, which was followed by a lot of board discussion, on this thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652

The bottom line: My Highlander is a solid and reliable tow vehicle for my TrailManor, and a 4Runner would be even better.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I would highly recommend that you take your trailer to a scale on your way to your next camping trip.....I'll bet you a Coke that you are closer to 4500# loaded than you are to 3500#. My 2720 weighs 4000# (on the scales) loaded and there is just the 2 of of us.

I'd win that bet with my 3023, but not by an awful lot. But more to the point, 3000# is not automatically safe and 4000# is not automatically dangerous.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote