TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Debbie

Default Mirrors and/or backup camera

I am a newbie with a Trail Mini, towing with a Honda Odyssey. I am realizing that I cannot see behind the trailer when on the road and might need different mirrors and/or a camera. Any recommendations?
Thanks
Debbie
Old 09-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Start with a pair of McKesh mirrors.
http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html

About ~$150, and they are the best out there. Once you get them setup the first time, it takes about 2-3 minutes to put them both on, and about 20 seconds to take them off.

That should give you enough coverage. If you still want more, then you can talk about wiring up a camera in the rear of the TM, but that's a bit more complicated and expensive endeavor. But it has been done.

I bought more convex mirrors as well, and wouldn't be without them.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
brulaz

Dave, did you put convex mirrors on both sides?

I bought one with the McKeshs but have never put it on. With my truck's normal mirrors plus the McKeshs, everything seems pretty well covered.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Yes, I put them on both sides. It gives me a clear unobstructed view down each side of the TV with ZERO blind spots. I can see all the way from the mirror to the end of the TM, even if a narrow object, like a motorcycle or bicycle, was riding close to me.

The view through my TV factory is partially obstructed by the McKesh, but even then, those mirrors provide a smaller field of view and have blind spots.

Since you already have one, put it on and try it. My bet is you won't take it off. I bought them not knowing them if I needed them, but figured for the additional $30 or so for the pair, it's cheap insurance. They ended up being very useful.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Park your car and trailer in a straight line in an empty parking lot somewhere.

Pace off about 100 feet behind the trailer.

While standing in one spot, you should be able to see both mirrors. If not, then your mirrors should stick out more.

The 100 feet rule depends on which state you are in.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Bigbit

For those looking for mirrors virtually identical to the McKesh mirrors at a fraction of the price, do a web search for CIPA Model 11650 mirrors. Amazon has them for $45 per mirror with free shipping. I'm very happy with my set. http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11650-Del.../dp/B00029WRJQ
Old 09-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
For those looking for mirrors virtually identical to the McKesh mirrors at a fraction of the price, do a web search for CIPA Model 11650 mirrors. Amazon has them for $45 per mirror with free shipping. I'm very happy with my set. http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-11650-Del.../dp/B00029WRJQ
Ignoring shipping, the McKesh are 125 and the CIPA are 90.

Not sure what the spot mirrors for the CIPA would cost, but for the McKesh the are 15.50 each.

I was unable to determine from the Amazon website the maximum distance that they can be extended. That would be important to know for narrow vehicles.

When my daughter is driving behind me in her Miata at a normal safe distance, I can see her in both mirrors as long as she is centered in the lane with my McKesh. Someone else will have to report the performance of the CIPA.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
retiredgoat

Default Towing mirrors

Hi Debbie,

I traded up to a F250 and do not require my old mirrors. Pictures attached. You can have for free just shipping or I'll be at the Dixie Chapter fall rally in Dillard, Ga from the 7th Oct to 11th Oct.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: doc towing mirrors.doc (50.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I was unable to determine from the Amazon website the maximum distance that they can be extended. That would be important to know for narrow vehicles.

When my daughter is driving behind me in her Miata at a normal safe distance, I can see her in both mirrors as long as she is centered in the lane with my McKesh. Someone else will have to report the performance of the CIPA.
I will be camping this weekend and will try to remember to take photos of the CIPA's and measure the extension length.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Debbie

Thanks everyone for the help; will keep you posted
Debbie