TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
EAKlebe

Default Are there more than 2 drains on '99 3023?

I tried to drain the plumbing system on my recently acquired 1999 3023. There are only two drains on the left side on the rear. I opened the sink faucet, both hot and cold and opened the faucet the the bathroom. But there is STILL antifreeze in the lines under the sink and hooked up to the water heater. On a different thread there was a schematic of the plumbing system for a 2002 2027 showing 4 drains, does the 3023 also have four drains?
I have attached some photos, there was some sort of short hose on the floor of the cabinet where the water heater is (photo enclosed). What is this for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010268.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	4726   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010271.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	4727   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010269.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	4728  
Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

There should be 4 drains in your 3023, I believe that 4 drains are standard for that year for all models. The other two (at least in mine) are generally located underneath the water tank, which is underneath the dinette seat. If you take a peek under the trailer where your water tank is located, what do you see?

I have no idea what that hose is for?

Have you tried to run more water through the system/drains to see if it clears out the pink stuff?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The hose looks like part of a jury-rigged water heater bypass kit, and the presence of pink antifreeze would tend to go along with that thought. Newer TMs don't need a bypass kit, as long as everything is properly drained for the winter (lots of threads on this topic). If there are indeed only two drains (I bet you'll find four), then a bypass kit may be a good idea, since I'm not sure how the water heater would drain.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
mbd4kids

I have a 1999 3023, and I do have 4 drains. I would think to get that antifreeze out you would need to pump it through. If you have water in your potable tank, and turn on the pump, it should pull it through to the drains. (run water with hot spigot turned on to draw through hot water heater). You could also try to empty the hot water tank through the back outlet. You need a big socket to turn the anode rod, but when you pull it out, the tank will drain. Beware though, as it releases, you will get wet if you don't stand aside. Not sure if it would help the lines though, so I'd try to pump it through first. I also have one of those short hoses. My previous owner told me what it was for, but I've forgotten and never used it. I did record him telling me everything though, so if I get around to watching it, I'll re-post.
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
EAKlebe

There were, indeed, two over drains. One was white and opened with only 1/2 of a turn.
The other was sort of gray and was toward the rear, that one didn't seem to drain anything out. I checked under the sink and all the pink stuff is gone.
It is my understanding that now I have to flush the system with a sanitizing bleach solution, then flush the system with clear water. Is this correct?
Also, I got the impression from somewhere that it really isn't necessary to put antifreeze in the system provided the system is properly drained prior to winter, is that correct?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
mbd4kids

Yes, flush with mild bleach solution, then run clear water. The first time I did it I was heavy on the bleach, and took many refils to flush out. I do understand that antifreeze isn't needed, but being in Pennsylvania, have never had the guts not to use it. I can put in and take out antifreeze, but don't want to try replacing faucets...
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
Al-n-Sue

The trick to winterizing, at least it has been for me the last two winters, is not only to open all four of the drains, but to also open all the faucets in the trailer - including the outside shower. I also remove the shower handle from the both showers and remove the kitchen faucet - the factory ersion has a simple screw on nut that is pretty easy to remove. Just be sure to watch for a black o-ring. Opening all the faucets allows air in the system to relieve any vacuums that may be present.

Of course in Colorado we have a pretty dry climate so things dry out pretty well!
Alan
Old 06-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
rumbleweed

We have similar cold winters here and I have never had a problem I drain everything ( all four drains) , then use a little compressed air to make sure everything is clear. Then I remove, shower hose, kitchen sink sprayer hose nozzle( hold hose fully extended in the air to drain it) and the outside shower head. I leave all faucets open. 50" of snow and below zero temps and no issues. The only antifreeze I use is in the two sink and shower traps ( about 1/2cup each).
Old 06-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAKlebe View Post
There were, indeed, two over drains. One was white and opened with only 1/2 of a turn.
The other was sort of gray and was toward the rear, that one didn't seem to drain anything out.
The white one drains the water heater, water pump and the water lines. The gray one drains the fresh water tank.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
grakin

I had all four drains open, all faucets open, showers removed from fixtures, etc, and then even drove for a while to shake things out - and still ended up replacing a fixture due to freezing. I put in antifreeze now, the same as any other camper. Maybe it's overkill, but it takes all of a few minutes to do it, and I know that *ANYTHING* that can freeze won't (including water pumps, fixtures, etc). I did have to install a hot water heater bypass, but that wasn't a big deal.

I know TM says you don't need antifreeze. I also know I didn't have any problem for two winters, but did on the third, before I started using the antifreeze. It's cheap insurance on an expensive trailer.