TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
wmtire

Roger, I checked my book this morning and ZeroH(0H) belongs to the factory of Triangle Tire Company, 56 Qingdao Road, Weihai China

Also, here is where we talked about why you saw a partial DOT code on one sidewall

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...49&postcount=2
Old 04-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
Al-n-Sue

Default DOT codes for my Maxxis tires

The salesman at discount tire was very helpful - pulled the codes off the tires for me. Here's what he told me:

DOT code same of both tires - "20ZDCBC" - from what I can find the 20 is for Maxxis based in Thailand, but made in a plant in Rayong, China. But "Made in Thailand" is stamped on the tire.

Date codes - 2009 and 2109 - so made in 20 and 21st week of 2009 - mid to late May. So almost a year old. Guess that is not too bad.

Bobby - can you verify what I've said?

Thanks and hope this info is helpful to everyone.
Alan
Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
Date codes - 2009 and 2109 - so made in 20 and 21st week of 2009 - mid to late May. So almost a year old. Guess that is not too bad.
My Marathons Were 5 Weeks Old When I Purchased Them, I Would Think You Could Find Newer Tires. Just My Opinion Though
Old 04-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
The salesman at discount tire was very helpful - pulled the codes off the tires for me. Here's what he told me:

DOT code same of both tires - "20ZDCBC" - from what I can find the 20 is for Maxxis based in Thailand, but made in a plant in Rayong, China. But "Made in Thailand" is stamped on the tire.

Bobby - can you verify what I've said?

Thanks and hope this info is helpful to everyone.
Alan
Alan, according to the 2010 "Who Makes it and Where" directory I have, you are correct. The tire factory is owned by Maxxis International (of Thailand) but is physically located in Tasit Sub-District China.

I have to wonder if that "made in Thailand" stamping is a way to get around the tire tariff.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #15
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
My Marathons Were 5 Weeks Old When I Purchased Them, I Would Think You Could Find Newer Tires. Just My Opinion Though
A year is OK, but 2 pushes it. It depends on where the tires come from, as to how much time will lapse between manufacture and sell. Tires produced overseas, will literally be put on a slow boat from China. Tires produced in North America (the US especially) will make it to market a whole lot faster, within weeks a lot of time. It's just the geography of the situation.

Sometimes there are other factors in getting a tire to market. I remember several years back, we had to wait a good while on some Hankook tires from Korea, because of the dock workers strike in California.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #16
Al-n-Sue

Interesting question. May be seeing a lot more of that if the tarriff holds.

I guess since so many tires, even major manufactureres, are made in China (or Asia) it is pretty hard to get away from it.

I'm going to put on steel valve stems so at least I'll get away from that "Made in China" problem.

Thanks for confirming the factory location.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
RogerR

I crawled under and found that the tires I got last August were dated 1208, so they are two years old and have less than 100 miles on them.

I am seriously thinking of upgrading with a lift to 15 inch wheels and tires. I know the kit is cheep and labor varies but can anyone estimate a good tire price and wheel price and source?

Ps. I blew both old Marathons that were three years old on a 1600 miles trip last summer. I got the new ones on a warranty adjustment but did not know to look at the DOT date. I will never buy a tire without checking the date of manufacture.

This is the best source of info that I have ever used. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
it seems the winds of change are upon us. Gocntry bought some marathons that were made in the U.S. of A.
And the winds shifted direction. I had a Goodyear dealer in here this morning picking up some tires. We got to talking about some of the goodyear marathon's being made here in the U.S.

He told me that he had just downloaded a new code sheet from Goodyear last nite (which he gave me a copy), that shows new marathon product codes that are going to be going in effect from April to June. This sheet shows the U.S marathons being replaced by an import marathon.

It also shows the 205/75R14 Load range C OWL, and the 215/75R14 Load Range C OWL marathon being discontinued all together.

He didn't know where they would be produced, but when he got some of the new ones in, he'd let us know.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I am seriously thinking of upgrading to 15 inch wheels and tires... can anyone estimate a good tire price and wheel price and source?
The tires (225/75R15) are listed as $95 at Tire Rack. I paid about $35 each for the wheels, again at a discount tire place. Mounting and balancing, as well as changing out the rubber valve stems for steel stems, will be a few bucks extra, of course, and you really want to do these things.

Most of the details are here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6245

You have the option to change out all three tires (two running tires plus the spare), or of changing out just the running tires and retaining the best 14-incher for a spare, to be used for relatively short distances. If you change out the spare, you may have to modify the spare tire carrier to accept the thicker tire, which is covered in another thread.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #20
wmtire

I just got this email from one of our distributors today. It kind of shows what is going on in the tire biz, and exactly what we have been discussing here with tire shortages, price increases, etc.........a lot due to the tire tariffs.

Maxxis has announced a 6% price increase for May 15th.

Our inventory is LOW! The combination of Maxxis having huge backorder problems and the added sales of mud grips because the Mud Brute is discontinued has caused us serious inventory problems. We don't think it is going to get much better in the near future. We will be getting some tires but not like we want.

If you need any Maxxis Mudders, now is a good time to get them! Beat the price increase and get them while our inventory last.

Either way, we will have plenty of BACKORDERS, please be patient with us as we work through the problems!

thanks,

Gary J. Broome