TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #31
Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Since 1981 I have been getting at least 185k miles out of all of my vehicles using dino oil. This usually take around 15 years.

What would I have gained if I had used synthetic?
You could have extended your oil change interval (OCI), You can usually double the miles or up to a one year interval. How much oil did you need to add betweem changes? This amount could have been reduced. What was the condition of the engine at 185K miles?

If you extend the OCI (to double the miles) it ends up costing the same as dino oil.

Koz
Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #32
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
You could have extended your oil change interval (OCI), You can usually double the miles or up to a one year interval. How much oil did you need to add betweem changes? This amount could have been reduced. What was the condition of the engine at 185K miles?

If you extend the OCI (to double the miles) it ends up costing the same as dino oil.

Koz
I have never had a need to add oil between oil changes.

I change my oil somewhere between 3k and 6k miles. The price of an oil change is up to $27.00 at the current time. That is the usual lube,oil,filter, rotate tires, inspect brakes etc. For that price I let my mechanic do it. Oil is Chevron. Either 5-30 or 10-30. I don't recall.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #33
moaboy

More and more car makers are embracing synthetic oil especially in special or high end use applications. Toyota now recommends a full synthtic 0-20 in their new Prias and other post 2010 models. When I asked my Toyota tech why (I have a 2010 Prias) he said engines run longer, cooler and therefore more efficiently- albeit, better mileage is marginal at best. Anyway, I have changed to using a full synthtic in my Prias that I change every 10k and it has worked very well at no additioal costs vs using dino oil every 5k. In my other vehicles I use a blend.
Interesting info Pitbull, thanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
Pitbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
More and more car makers are embracing synthetic oil especially in special or high end use applications. Toyota now recommends a full synthtic 0-20 in their new Prias and other post 2010 models. When I asked my Toyota tech why (I have a 2010 Prias) he said engines run longer, cooler and therefore more efficiently- albeit, better mileage is marginal at best. Anyway, I have changed to using a full synthtic in my Prias that I change every 10k and it has worked very well at no additioal costs vs using dino oil every 5k. In my other vehicles I use a blend.
Interesting info Pitbull, thanks.
Toyota has contracted Exxon/Mobile to make a specially formulated additive package for their (new) proprietary 0w-20 synthetic (very high moly content). It is proving to be an excellent oil. Most all 2011 Toyota's and Lexus' come with it from the factory.

Koz
Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #35
PopBeavers

When driving my truck around town and to work and back with just me in it and no cargo gets 13.5 mpg if I am very careful.

At 6,300 pounds I don't think it matters if the gas tank is full or empty.

I don't think there is anything I can do except keep the tires inflated on the high side of specifications, contributing to a stiffer ride.

The additional truck that we add for camping trips gets the same mileage for the same reasons.

For our camping style I have no alternatives.

I'll trade gas bills with you any day.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #36
T and C
TrailManor Master

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
When driving my truck around town and to work and back with just me in it and no cargo gets 13.5 mpg if I am very careful.

At 6,300 pounds I don't think it matters if the gas tank is full or empty.

I don't think there is anything I can do except keep the tires inflated on the high side of specifications, contributing to a stiffer ride.

The additional truck that we add for camping trips gets the same mileage for the same reasons.

For our camping style I have no alternatives.

I'll trade gas bills with you any day.
Last Sunday I towed the 3023 from OC CA to Morgan Hill, near San Jose, CA. Distance is about 400 miles. I towed at 55 mph mostly on cruise control. My mileage according to the truck computer was 15.8. I can't complain.

I can sure see why Wayne likes this place. Its absolutely gorgeous this time of year. Now if I could only get people to stop screaming at me when they see my NRA sticker.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #37
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Last Sunday I towed the 3023 from OC CA to Morgan Hill, near San Jose, CA. Distance is about 400 miles. I towed at 55 mph mostly on cruise control. My mileage according to the truck computer was 15.8. I can't complain.

I can sure see why Wayne likes this place. Its absolutely gorgeous this time of year. Now if I could only get people to stop screaming at me when they see my NRA sticker.

Tom
Even when towing, most gas goes to wind resistance on the highway at steady speed. Wind resistance increases with the square of the speed, so it works out that going 65 instead of 55 theoretically costs about 40% more gas. Or, at 65 instead of 60 you'd expect about 17% worse gas mileage. Tire resistance (the second biggest factor) and things like engine friction are linear by the mile, regardless of speed (assuming you're still in the same gear).

So your gas mileage at 65 would hypothetically be about 11.3 instead of 15.8 at 55.

In addition, going 55 vs 65 is about a 40% decrease in stopping distance, according to a table published by the Oregon Highway Department. From the perspective of this hugely important factor in safety, it invites a comparison between towing a 4000# trailer versus a 6666# trailer by going 55 instead of 65 (or, if you prefer, towing a 2400# trailer versus a 4000# trailer, just by driving 10mph slower). Taking it easy gives you more safe towing capacity. Going faster gives you less.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #38
PopBeavers

For the past two weeks I have been very careful about how I drive to work. Using the MPG gauge in my w500HD, empty, I am floating between 13.6 and 13.8

For memorial day we are heading out to Pozos, about 200 miles each way.

I will be leaving early so I have extra time, not that I need much extra time. This time I will tow more conservatively than I normally do, 55 instead of 59, gentle with the throttle instead of mys somewhat aggressive technique.

I am interested in the difference between the two numbers.