TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2003, 07:11 PM   #1
GypsyCowgirl

Default Adding 2720 SL Bench Seats

Hi, I am considering purchasing a 2720 SL that I have found for a great price. But, I haven't been looking for the SL, due to the sleeping arrangements. I am wondering if anyone knows how easy it would be to add the small bench seats that fold out into a bed. Or even to add one of the full size beds turning it into a regular 2720.

Thanks

Teressa
Old 08-03-2003, 07:40 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Adding 2720 SL Bench Seats

Teressa -

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do. The couch at the front of a 2720SL unfolds into a double (or queen?) bed. My 6'1" son has slept in it for a week at a time, though I grant you he had to sleep kind of diagonally. Are you looking to add something more than that?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 08:48 PM   #3
Happytrails

I'm wondering if a small fold out couch might meet the needs of Gypsy. I'm assuming she's looking at one of the SL units with the couch that backs up against the slideout?

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 08-05-2003, 12:05 PM   #4
GypsyCowgirl

Yes, I am looking at two TM SL Models, one has two recliners, and one has a sofa that folds down to make a bed. But the regular 2720 has a bed at each end, and two small bench seats/love seats that fold down into a bed. This is what I am needing. The two units I have found have a really good price on them. But the sleeping arrangements are not adequate for us, as we are a group of 5, and sometimes 7. So what we need is a bed at each end, and the two bench seats that fold down to make a bed. I am wondering how easy it would be to remove the recliners and add the bed and bench seats. Or on the unit that has a couch, add the bench seats.

I hope this all makes sense.

Teressa
Old 08-05-2003, 01:07 PM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Probably not very easily done, leastwise with the 2720SL (couch) model. For one thing the furnace, along with its gas and electrical lines, is built into the base of the couch and if you want heat, you'll have to relocate furnace, gas lines, and electrical. If you leave the couch in place, there's only about 24 inches between the front of the couch and the end of the slide's side wall...and this is the area the couch flattens out into for a bed. There's also no usable room between the end of the slide and the galley area for permanently mounted bench seats along the walls as this is the area that the slide moves back and forth through (when the slide is in, the easy chair has to be put in front of the refer).

The next time you go look at those well priced slide models, ask to be shown what the interior looks like when the front slide is pushed in for travel. I think you'll be astounded at how the floor area disappears.

The slide models were engineered specifically to provide living room or dinette space at the expense of sleeping space...to essentially make them into small "travel" trailers (for at most 3 people) rather than "camping" trailers. I personally think that trying to reverse that engineering on either of the 2720 slide models to increase the sleeping space would be very difficult. If you need sleeping space, you really should be thinking the regular bed-at-each-end floor plans.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:18 PM   #6

Teressa -

Seconding what Ray has said, it sounds like the units you're looking at aren't "it" yet. If you have 6 or 7 campers, you also have that many people in the daytime looking for places to eat and lounge and stash their stuff. That's a pretty heavy load for the 27xx models.

Of course, it also depends on how long you're going to be out. For a night or two now and then, it might not matter, but for longer, folks might start to feel irritated at climbing over each other.

Have you thought about looking for a used 3124KB? The king bed would sleep three kids, and the big under-bed storage would be very handy.

And if you're camping in nice weather, there's also the possibility of setting up a tent outside to handle the overflow.

Let's hear from folks who are camping with 6 or 7 in their group. What model are you in, and how do you like it?

Pam
Old 08-05-2003, 11:03 PM   #7
GypsyCowgirl

Thanks, you have all been very helpful. Right now we may just buy a 2720 TM to have one for the rest of the season. When I began searching for our camper I thought we would have one in no time at all, but each time I have found one someone has beat me to it. We are also trying to make sure that we don't overload our towing capacity on our Toyota Sienna 6-cyl. I would love to have a 3124. We may buy the smaller unit now, and wait for the right deal to come along on the 3124. We are all tired of tent camping, and my kids have been waiting as patiently as kids can be for our camper. Now school is starting and we haven't had all the outings we anticipated. But I think we would all be pleased with the 2720 for the time being. It would sure get us out of those tents, and maybe we could store some things away in our minivan.

Thanks
Teressa
Old 08-05-2003, 11:09 PM   #8
Happytrails

Mine's the equivelent of a 3023, beds on each end, it will supposedly sleep 6 if ya fold the couch out, but the couch space would be more suitable for kids. Perhaps in a bind it'd do for a couple or something, but it'd be a bit pushing it. Tent idea for overflow not a bad idea unless it's REALLY cold outside. I guess it would depend on camping habits I guess. A single I guess could sleep on the floor with a nice pad/inflatable mattress if it was that cramped........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 08-08-2003, 11:04 AM   #9
jml74

If you don't mind me asking. Where is Texas have you found the deals at? We are just south of Houston.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #10
GypsyCowgirl

Sorry guys, but these deals are not in Texas. I have found one in Georgia, and one in North Carolina. They are through private individuals. We have been searching in Houston for a while, as we are also in the Houston area, and haven't found what we are looking for so we are going to hit the road if the need arises. We are willing to travel a long way for a good deal.

Teressa