TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
Clwpaddler

Default Anyone towing with a full size van?

I just recently purchased a 2001 3023 which will be pulled by a 2000 (110,000miles) Dodge 1500 RamVan with a 5.2L V8. In 3 years the DW and I are leaving on a 6 to 8 month tour of the country and may need to purchase a new TV. We have enjoyed the roominess of the van and the wheel base makes a very controllable combination.

Do I purchase another full size van? I would love to hear from those of you who use a van for your TV.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

I used a 1995 GM 2500 van for 7 years to pull a 98 3023. Worked great. I drove this set-up from southern Indiana to Alaska, Yellowstone three times, Canadian Rockies, Carlsbad Caverns, Maine and numerous other shorter trips with no problems.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

There are vans and there are vans...........some full size vans make great tow vehicles, some are not designed for towing. Check your owners manual for the tow rating.

You don't want your high mileage van to reach an early demise because it wasn't designed to tow. Also, remember that the vehicle's tow rating was rated as the vehicle was new. With 110K on it, that capacity may be greatly diminished.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
ED-n-KEL

There are several old threads about the pros & cons of each type of TV here. Search this conference.
I too prefer a van. I have owned and driven almost every type of van, from a mini, to a mid size, to a full size, to a HD full size. If ride quality and money is not an object, I would definitely recommend a 3/4 ton (HD) version of a standard length full size van.
(Avoid the extended versions)
They are sturdy, have a good long wheelbase (ie: 138") that supports true and straight towing, and have more than adequate cargo and tow rating (7000 lbs).
You may notice that the 1/2 ton versions have similar tow capacities to the 3/4 ton versions, but the cargo capacities and tank like suspension on the 3/4 ton versions are well worth it.
My personal "cons" on a van are the limited access to the engine compartment for maintenance, and the lower TC's as compared to a 3/4 ton pickup.
If you don't do your own auto maintenance, then you won't have issues...
If you don't plan on towing over 6000 lbs, you'll be fine...
If you would possibly upgrade to a full size TT later, then you may want to consider a crew cab 3/4 ton pickup truck with a camper top. This would give you similar cargo area as a van, but also give you much higher tow capacity (10,000-13,000 lbs) for a future 5th wheel application, as well as 4 wheel drive if desired.
If you must stick with a van, but want more TC, then you can also get the cargo versions of vans, which eliminates many comforts, but allows you to select larger engines, trannys, and rear axle ratios, to get the TC up to the 10,000 lb range.