TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Bill,
Any realistic sight lines directly behind a vehicle are impossible, if all you have to work with is a 10" distance out and a 70 foot rig.
I agree. But the law appears to require these impossible sight lines. That's why I am mystified - what are our legislators thinking when they write these laws?

Well, none of us drive a 70-foot TM, so we don't have to be directly concerned. But it does make the situation confusing when we try to apply those same laws to our own rigs.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #22
PopBeavers

When measuring width, add ons do not count. So, the awning on the TM does not count. Only the body.

The most restrictive rule I have heard of (rumor on rv.net) was Wyoming. This is where I got the 100 foot number from. I never looked it up.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #23
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hmmm. Again, I'm not sure how to interpret. The law recognizes "appurtenances", and permits them to extend beyond the basic 102 inches. Does that mean that if the width, including appurtenances, does not exceed 102 inches, then the appurtenances can't be counted?

Section 35103 Maximum Width Appurtenance

35103. (a) A vehicle used for recreational purposes may exceed the maximum width established under Section 35100 if the excess width is attributable to an appurtenance, excluding a safety device, that does not exceed six inches beyond either sidewall of the vehicle.

(b) For the purposes of subdivision (a), an appurtenance is an integral part of a vehicle and includes, but is not limited to, awnings, grab handles, lighting equipment, cameras, and vents. An appurtenance may not be used as a load carrying device.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #24
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Bill,
Regarding sight lines, there are two possibilities: 1)California wants an impossible sight line immediately behind towed vehicles, or 2)you're reading "behind the vehicle" in the wrong context.

The important sight lines are along the sides of the vehicle in california, just like in Virginia. Think about it: There are important reasons to want drivers to see when they change lanes, while about the only way to be the cause of an accident in the area directly behind you is to back up.

Therefore, I suggest that when California is saying "behind" the vehicle they must mean along the side of the vehicle in the logical field of view of a mirror that's no more than 10" beyond the edge of a trailer.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #25
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Appurtenances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Hmmm. Again, I'm not sure how to interpret. The law recognizes "appurtenances", and permits them to extend beyond the basic 102 inches. Does that mean that if the width, including appurtenances, does not exceed 102 inches, then the appurtenances can't be counted?

Section 35103 Maximum Width Appurtenance

35103. (a) A vehicle used for recreational purposes may exceed the maximum width established under Section 35100 if the excess width is attributable to an appurtenance, excluding a safety device, that does not exceed six inches beyond either sidewall of the vehicle.

(b) For the purposes of subdivision (a), an appurtenance is an integral part of a vehicle and includes, but is not limited to, awnings, grab handles, lighting equipment, cameras, and vents. An appurtenance may not be used as a load carrying device.

Bill
This one is easier. Motorhomes in California have awnings, therefore California allows awnings to be considered appurtenances which are allowed to be in excess of the 102" total width of motorhomes.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #26
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Bill,
Regarding sight lines, there are two possibilities: 1)California wants an impossible sight line immediately behind towed vehicles, or 2)you're reading "behind the vehicle" in the wrong context.

The important sight lines are along the sides of the vehicle in california, just like in Virginia. Think about it: There are important reasons to want drivers to see when they change lanes, while about the only way to be the cause of an accident in the area directly behind you is to back up.

Therefore, I suggest that when California is saying "behind" the vehicle they must mean along the side of the vehicle in the logical field of view of a mirror that's no more than 10" beyond the edge of a trailer.
I always look to see what is coming up behind me.

On an occasion when my wife was towing, she was very surprised when, on a single lane road, she was passed by a Corvette going substantially over the speed limit (it happens).

Nothing bad happened but she was rather startled. I would not have been startled because any time I check my mirrors I check behind me.

It could have just as easily been a high speed police chase instead of a crazy Corvette driver.

We frequently caravan. I usually lead. I like to be able to see my group behind me.

FRS radios also help. They are exempt form the California cell phone law. But that is another subject.