TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
trisht

Cool lug nut wrench

We have a new 3124 and I'm not finding a lug nut wrench anywhere. Am I missing it somewhere (physically and in the documentation)?
The wrench for the leveling jacks - which they provided 2 of - is the same size (3/4") but I can't imagine that would handle the torque.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Scott O

I didn't get a lug nut wrench nor the square shaped bit driver to remove the wheel well skirts. The only tools that came with ours was the items needed for the awning.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

They don't come with one, no trailer I've ever bought has. Long ago I bought one of the X shaped ones which handles different sizes and gives good leverage as well.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
tdepouw

You can also find a folding one at auto stores or Walmart, around $11 if space is an issue.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
rumbleweed

While you are there look for a 2-4 ton bottle jack. If you need to change a tire, ou will be glad you have it.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Al-n-Sue

To reiterate rumbleweed's advice - I'll tell you my experience. BTM (Before TrailManor) I had a Starcraft popup with (unknown to me) 10 year old tires! On our Memorial Day trip in 2007, I had a blowout about 2 hours out on a 6 hour trip. I had to use the TV jack to jack up the trailer but the lug wrench for the TV would not fit. Fortunately we had friends traveling with us who had one. About 2 hours later I had another blowout. And the town I happened to be in did not have the size tire I needed. It turned a 6 hour drive to a full day of changing tires, a 3 ours trip to get a new tire, and setting up at our campsite at about 8:00! Needless to say, our first trip to Walmart at our destination I bought a 4 way lug wrench that I carry in my "TV Box" - stuff I need or might need with the TM folded up.

Fast forward to fall 2009. We had stopped to get gas and lunch in Raton, NM after a trip to the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque. As I was pumping gas I realized the street side tire was going flat. Must have just happened. I was able to pull into an large flat open space in the gas station parking lot to change the tire. Fortunately I had added a 2 1/2 ton bottle jack to my TV so the little sidetrip was of no real consequence. I'm not sure the TV jack would have worked near as well. It cost me about an hour of time then. And $300 this spring when I replaced the tires.

4 way lug and bottle jack - two essentials for your "camping box."
Alan
Old 05-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Alan - Why do you think the TV jack wouldn't have worked as well as the aftermarket bottle jack?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
While you are there look for a 2-4 ton bottle jack. If you need to change a tire, ou will be glad you have it.

My bottle jack would not crank the frame up high enough to change the wheel. So I just used the two corner jacks on that side. Worked fine for me. One less item to carry.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
PopBeavers

fwiw, I was able to swap the spare with the blow out in about 15 minutes. I did cheat by not putting the flat tire back in the storage tray. I just threw it in the back of the truck.

Not more than 5 minutes to crank the TM off the ground using two of the corner jacks. I used the cordless drill untill it would not crank any more and then used the hand crank.

Not more than five minutes to pull the spare out, unbolt and remove the flat tire, bolt on the spare.

Way less than 5 minutes to crank the TM back down.

This was the first time I have swapped tires on the TM, but I certainly have done it on a lot of cars and trucks in my life.

My brother in law was impressed how quickly I changed the tire, especially since I had a bad right knee and I could not bend it past 45 degrees.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Al-n-Sue

Wayne - I'm impressed. It was the first time I had done it too, so I took my time and to be sure I didn't do anything stupid. The spare tire carrier was a little cantankerous so it took a bit of work to get it off. I used the corner jacks just to help stabilize, but the bottle jack took most of the weight.

Dave - not sure why I thought that. After posting it I thought - my TV is probably heavier than the trailer anyway. But then I was lifting a whole side of the trailer where I would be just lifting one corner of the TV.

Anyway, the bottle jack worked well and was a little easier to use I thought.

Nice to have extra capacity I guess. :-)