TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
rumbleweed

Although there is not 100% solution, I am very confident running the Temp and pressure monitor I have. What I like most is that I can see the tire temp and pressure real time and an occasional glance lets me know if something is heading in the wrong direction before the "POP" If the pressure and temp is going to a point I am uncomfortable, I can slow down or stop and check things. I know that Camping world is now selling the one I have, and not sure if the truck dealer I got mine from is still carrying them, but they offered two sensors and the receiver for $159,00. Certainly less than a body/ plumbing repair.
Link to TST web page : http://shop.tsttruck.com/product.sc;...7&categoryId=1
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
5 Blowouts?? Were All These On Your TM? Any With The 15" Tires Or All On The 14"?
We have always travelled a lot with our TM, piling up tons of heavily-loaded hot-day miles at 65 mph on Interstates, and a lot of slower miles on poorer roads. We've done so since we bought our first TM in 2001. Back around 2006, after years of successful travelling, we had a sudden string of tire failures with the 14-inch Marathons. I blamed the tires - some say that Goodyear had switched production to China. But later it turned out that it might have been a problem with the valve stems - again, Chinese, and eventually recalled. We never figured out which was at fault.

Anyway, because I experienced so many failures, and because I wrote them up on this board, this is where the whole "let's change over to 15-inch tires" thing began. Bobby at West Monroe Tire (wmtire) in Louisiana pitched in to help with lots of real tire knowledge and some tires for us to experiment with, and the move to higher load-rated tires began. This was the beginning of the so-called Great Tire Experiment. A number of people changed tires, and the results are still slowly coming in.

To come to the end of the story, my string of failures ended abruptly when I switched to the 15-inch Marathons. I don't know if it was the move to higher load-rated tires or better valves, but I am perfectly pleased with the way things turned out. Once again I say "Thanks, Bobby!" By the way, I note that TM has switched to all 15-inch Marathons.

The long sad story is split among several threads in the Tires forum. Anyone who wants to review the situation will find a lot of it in these threads. It all started in Iowa City, Iowa, in 2004 ...

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1722
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=4308
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5586
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6245

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I received the monitors yesterday and installed them today. They work as advertised. I put 2 of them on the TM w/50# of air. The monitor in the truck stayed green. I put the other 2 on my trailer dolly w/25# of air and the monitor turned red and the alarm sounded.

There is a separate LED for each tire on the receiver (the part in the TV) and the sending unit (the part that's on the valve stem) are each marked separately.

The down side of these is that they are a PITA to take off and put back on each time that I want to check the tire pressure (before each trip). Even at that, they are well worth the $. I may drill another hole in each wheel and install a second (steel) valve stem for checking the tire pressure.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
ragmopp

The down side of these is that they are a PITA to take off and put back on each time that I want to check the tire pressure (before each trip).

Wayne, why are they so hard to take off? I imagine they just screw on/off, don't they?

Mike Anderson
Old 04-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post
The down side of these is that they are a PITA to take off and put back on each time that I want to check the tire pressure (before each trip).

Wayne, why are they so hard to take off? I imagine they just screw on/off, don't they?

Mike Anderson
Not exactly. They have a security feature. If someone tries to remove them by hand, they just free wheel. You have to remove the top cap (that contains the battery) with a special, 3 prong tool. Then you have to remove the sensor from the valve stem (same tool). It really isn't that big of a deal, it's just another tool and another "step" to mess with and it will take 6 minutes to check the tire pressure instead of 2 minutes.

It wouldn't be such a big deal on a car that carries 35# of air (Hot) because the alarm will sound at 28# and that's about where you would want to add air anyway. On the TM, we want to keep it at 50# cold and anything less is just not acceptable. IMHO, it's critical to check the tire pressure before each trip, even if it hasn't been low on prior trips.

If the alarm goes off on this thing, it's a sign of a bad leak (because you have suddenly dropped below 28PSI) or blow-out. This is more of a "catastrophic failure warning system" than it is a "Monitoring system" for a trailer that requires a specific air pressure to be safe. The main objective here is to keep an air leak from becoming a blow-out because @ less than 28PSI, a blow-out is very close.

You definitely get what you pay for. These are a lot better than nothing but if one is willing to part with $150-$200, a true monitoring system that gives you the actual tire pressure might be a better way to go for some. I'm just concerned that this devise might give a TM owner a false sense of security and keep him from checking the tire pressure as often as he might if he did not have this device. As I said before, I will either figure out a way to keep these from "Free wheeling" (I'm not concerned about theft) or just drill my wheels and install a 2nd steel valve stem.

I just didn't want to put my full endorsement on this product without the proper "Disclaimer".....

I will say again........"You get what you pay for......and it's a heck of a lot better than having no warning system at all".
Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
The Part About The 50# Is I'm Running The 15" Marathons With 60# In Them

I Wonder If That Will Set An Alarm Also??
I just ran my tire pressure up to 65# (just for you). The alarm did not sound and the sensor held. I can't imagine that 65# of pressure will damage the unit. They make the same unit for vehicles with up to 135# of pressure.

***I just thought....my bike tires hold 65#, I just put the other 2 on my bike and I'll leave them on there for a couple weeks to see how it goes.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I just ran my tire pressure up to 65# (just for you). The alarm did not sound and the sensor held. I can't imagine that 65# of pressure will damage the unit. They make the same unit for vehicles with up to 135# of pressure.

***I just thought....my bike tires hold 65#, I just put the other 2 on my bike and I'll leave them on there for a couple weeks to see how it goes.
Thanks.... They Sound Like Their Worth $20.00 I Just Might Have To Grab A Set.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
Tuscany Bandit

Wayne,
I went ahead and got the Secutire Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System from the ad on Ebay. For $26.40 and free shipping I thought it would be worth a try.
Just a couple of questions:
Did you install them on the orginal rubber tire stems?
Did you rebalance the wheels after the install?
Since you have had them now for about 5 weeks,are they performing as you thought they would?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #19
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany Bandit View Post
Wayne,
I went ahead and got the Secutire Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System from the ad on Ebay. For $26.40 and free shipping I thought it would be worth a try.
Just a couple of questions:
Did you install them on the orginal rubber tire stems?
Did you rebalance the wheels after the install?
Since you have had them now for about 5 weeks,are they performing as you thought they would?
I put them on steel valve stems with the original wheels. I didn't re-balance the wheels. Seems to be OK... Rubber stems on the TM is not a good idea.

We just got back from a trip to the High Sierras. I guess they performed OK......The alarm never went off......that's a good thing .

We've made 3 camp-outs with them (1300 miles). The only thing that I don't like is that they are a pain to check the air pressure.

I plan on putting pins on the inside, to by-pass the freewheeling security system. That way, I can just crew them off like a valve stem cap.