TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
metalhead

Default 03 Ford Escape

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am considering my first TT and I really like the TM's. I have read some of the posts regarding the Escapes but I am looking at the TM 2619, whereas other posts mention larger models. My vehicle has the 4.0 V6, AT, "tow package", tow capacity of 3500 and tongue weight of 350. It appears that it can handle the dry weight....correct? I am unsure about the GW because I do not know what the 2619 would be with water, gas, etc. Also, my main travel would be the east coast and maybe into the Blue Ridge mountains. Any info, suggestions etc is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
metalhead

Since I first posted, I have searched this subject on this site and have found mixed results. Not specifically with the Escape but with similar vehicles/ratings. I suspect that I would have to settle for a smaller camper, which i do not want, or get a bigger TV, which I cant afford. I guess I'm stuck in a tent or a motel.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
My vehicle has the 4.0 V6, AT, "tow package", tow capacity of 3500 and tongue weight of 350. It appears that it can handle the dry weight....correct?

Let's try this again!

First let me say that we have an Escape too. It's a new Hybrid model and we like it a lot, for what it is. The Hybrid is of course only a 4 cylinder - not capable of towing anything. But in my opinion, even with the V6 that you have, the Escape would only be able to tow a very small utility trailer. I think towing even a lightly loaded 2619 (which is the TM we have) would be too much for the Escape. By the time you load up the 2619 with food, pots/pans, clothing, water, propane, etc you'd be at or above the Excape's towing capacity.

I saw your later post, and you're probably right. You'd need a much smaller trailer, or a larger TV. We tow the 2619 with a full sized V-8, F150 - which in my mind is just adequate, though I know a lot of people successfully tow with smaller vehicles. Good luck with whichever route you select!
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
ragmopp

You are not, necessarily, stuck in a motel or a tent. As others have posted, your vehicle is inadequate for the job of towing a TM. However, you might want to consider another trailer. My wife and I had a Aliner (a Chalet is very similar) and were very pleased with it. It is hardsided as the TM, and if you only have two people it is adequate. Your vehicle would be more than enough to tow the Aliner, as fully loaded it would be under 2000 pounds. Of course, it doesn't have the room the TM does, but it might suits your needs for the time being. Good luck.

Mike Anderson