TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
bigjoe

Default Looking at a mod - maybe

Hello all

A couple of months ago we purchased a min 19RD. We felt a small camper was what we needed. Just the wife and I. Our grandson at times. A few weeks ago we ( The three of us) went camping at Mt. Rushmore-SD area.

We enjoyed out weekend with the mini but noticed pros and cons:

1) Everything worked except the propane meter from the fridge,, Have to figure what's wrong and/or have someone look at it.

2) My wife has a bad knee so climbing onto the bed its a little tough. She ended up sleeping on the lower bed ( bench)... It was tough climbing over her to go to the bathroom.

Thinking of a mod... Maybe pulling the drawer out and having someone built a long bed and make is a little wider. This would benefit my wife from not climbing and me getting down not climbing over her....

This wont happen till next year.. If we decide to keep the mini .. or I will leave it as is if I end up trading for another camper. Added pics for ideas.

I really like my MPG- 14-16
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004[1].jpg
Views:	200
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	12033   Click image for larger version

Name:	11830674_10206218809683492_841500188_n[1].jpg
Views:	203
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	12034   Click image for larger version

Name:	11694298_10205996304561003_1498692411_n[1].jpg
Views:	194
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	12035  
Old 08-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

BigJoe -

Re the propane meter. Did the refrig itself work, keeping cool as it should? If so, the problem with the meter is probably something as simple as a loose or disconnected wire. On the other hand, if the refrig didn't cool, it is a different (but still very manageable) issue.

Re climbing up to the bed. Would it be possible to remove the dinette entirely at bedtime, and set it aside out of the way? Then in its place put a step stool with 3 (or even 4) nice wide steps? To increase the feeling of stability, you might even get a pair of the same hangers that attach the dinette table to the wall, and use those on the step stool.

Just a thought

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

One of the things I think about when dozing in retirement is a way to modify a 2922 to put a front slide in the rear and have the longitudinal king bed pivot down to a conventional height. Once you understand that the beds are high to maximise length of a transverse bed, other options open up.

Three issues:
1 Battery location - can be solved by using AGMs
2 Loss of rear storage
3 Loss of transverse stiffening bulkhead (can go under bed)

Nice thing is that the only new mechanism would be the bed lowering tracks. All the major components are stock 2922/2417/3124.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
BigJoe -

Re the propane meter. Did the refrig itself work, keeping cool as it should? If so, the problem with the meter is probably something as simple as a loose or disconnected wire. On the other hand, if the refrig didn't cool, it is a different (but still very manageable) issue.

Re climbing up to the bed. Would it be possible to remove the dinette entirely at bedtime, and set it aside out of the way? Then in its place put a step stool with 3 (or even 4) nice wide steps? To increase the feeling of stability, you might even get a pair of the same hangers that attach the dinette table to the wall, and use those on the step stool.

Just a thought

Bill

Hi Bill

Fridge works great.....just the meter issue...

As far as the steps I think it could be manageable. We really don't need the dinette as we eat outside anyway.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
gcavenas

Default Look for a TrailMini L.

The TrailMini "L" model has exactly what you describe. There is a long sofa that converts to a bed, instead of the dinette. Drawers are opposite the sofa.
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD, Tekonsha Primus IQ
http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLsm.jpg
gcavenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

The solution is obvious - put a piece of plywood over the dinette where your wife sleeps, supported by the side rails. You then can slide across it to the far side of her bed, before going down some steps to get to the bathroom. During the day, the board/plywood would be under your mattress.

Hmmm. She wouldn't mind having only 16" or so to sleep in, would she? Similar to the Navy and their bunks. (all tongue-in-cheek)
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
The solution is obvious - put a piece of plywood over the dinette where your wife sleeps, supported by the side rails. You then can slide across it to the far side of her bed, before going down some steps to get to the bathroom. During the day, the board/plywood would be under your mattress.

Hmmm. She wouldn't mind having only 16" or so to sleep in, would she? Similar to the Navy and their bunks. (all tongue-in-cheek)

Gotcha-