TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Carrying emergency (or generator) gasoline

I seem to have been beset with AAADD, also known as CRS disease. On two separate occasions last year, I got so overawed with the scenery as we drove that I forgot to watch my tow vehicle's gas gauge. Last time it happened, we coasted into Zuni Pueblo, NM, on fumes, not even knowing if the Pueblo had a gas station. I told myself "No more - gotta find a way to carry some emergency gas."

But where to carry it? For those who tow with a pickup truck, no problem - just toss a 5-gallon can in the truck bed. But for anyone who tows with a closed vehicle, its a little more complicated. I don't want to carry a can of gasoline inside the TM - it stinks! For the same reason, I can't put a gas can in the way-back of the tow vehicle - and in addition, I don't want gasoline flying around the passenger compartment in the event of an accident.

So I decided to whomp up a simple gas can carrier for the back bumper of the TM. The results are shown in the photo. The whole thing cost less than $10, including the 2+ gallon gas can. All the parts came from Home Depot, which means you can also get them from Lowe's, Aubuchon, or any reasonably complete hardware store. The carrier itself is just a piece of sheet metal and a couple metal framing straps, cut to size, bent, painted, and bolted together with #10 stainless steel nuts and bolts. It is held to the rear bumper with two 4" square U-bolts (BTW, 4-1/4" U-bolts would be better if you can find them). The can is held in the rack with a bungee (not shown in the photo). The placement allows the TM to be opened and closed without removing the can. What a nice feature - I won't drive off and leave the can in the campsite!

Some of us could carry gasoline for a generator here. But for me, next time I forget to watch the gauge, I'll have 30 miles worth of emergency gasoline handy. And if that isn't enough - well, it's 30 miles less I have to walk.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GasCan11.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	238  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:25 PM   #2
bonzaibeaver

Default Re:Emergency (or generator) gasoline

Great idea! My only worry would be someone else helping himself to some free gasoline. I think I'd add a heavy chain and lock to make it a little less convenient for a casual kleptomaniac or common thief.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:36 PM   #3
Happytrails

Bill, there is a product out there just for this situation. It comes in like half gallon plastic containers, and claims to get ANYTHING at least 10 miles. It's designed to be dropped in a trunk or whatever and forgotten about till ya need it. I can't remember what it's called, but they sell it at Bumper to Bumper auto parts. Hope this helps!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 10-06-2003, 06:55 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

You're right, Happy. I didn't remember, but I've seen the stuff advertised on TV. It wouldn't be a bad solution to my CRS problem. I looked around the Internet, and found it at CatalogCity.com - but at $25 a gallon, it's a little pricey. Well, in an emergency it would be worth it. Thanks for the tip.

Bill
Old 10-07-2003, 07:26 AM   #5
arknoah

Bill,

A great idea for those just-in-case situations. Thanks
Old 03-17-2004, 03:14 PM   #6
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

Bill,
Tried to find what you are describing at CatalogCity.com, but couldn't find anything that matches. What is it called?

jp
Sinclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:43 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Remember, it is a gasoline-like fuel, so it may be hard to ship through the mail. That may be why it doesn't appear at Internet shopping sites like Catalog City, where I can't find it any more either.

One version is called Pennzoil Roadside Rescue. You can read a bit about it at http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...ide_rescue.htm. It is real pricey - $25 for a half gallon - and it works only in a hot engine, but it will keep in your trunk for 5 years, ready for the time you need it. Pennzoil products are widely available, so I would expect that you could find it at WalMart and most auto supply places.

There is another version called Spare Tank, a little cheaper at $25 for a gallon container. See http://www.rv-news.com/july1999/feature3.htm. I don't know where you would get this.

There are probably others.

Bill
Old 03-17-2004, 08:10 PM   #8
Chris_Bauer

I think you did a great job on your spare gas carrier. It looks like part of the TM . As for your malady, don't worry. I haven't run out of gas yet, but believe me, if there is such a thing as running on fumes, I have. Every long trip I take, I am sure to run into that situation. Who wouldn't. When I see the TM behind me, and the open road in front of me, I don't seem to care about a whole lot....... ;D.

Get ready for Spring Break. Ours is April 3rd to April 17th and I am taking advantage of the whole two weeks, TM in tow of course. We are headed to Davy Crockett Natl Forest in East Texas . After living in Mexico for 12 years, I need to brush up on my Texan 8).
Old 03-18-2004, 06:22 PM   #9
grayghost

bill, that's a great idea - since we carry gasoline in our odyssey to run the generator we could use this idea. I've printed it out (hope it's not copyrighted

eileen
Old 03-18-2004, 08:34 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Grayghost -

As Tom and Ray would say, just etch your name and address on the lower frame of a Honda EU-2000i generator and send it to me at the address shown in my profile, and I will send a copyright release.

No problem - go for it. I feel lots better having two gallons of gas back there - I hope you do too.

Bill