TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Extreme Cold Weather Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #21
volvofan

Default progress report on wintering over

So it's mid-January now up here in the North Country, and we've had temps as low as -30 degrees F ambient, up to -45 with wind chill! On those ultra-cold nights, I am still running the oil-filled heater (moved to a shelf on the side of the wardrobe right inside the back bed area) and the fan heater, plus the heat unit in the AC. The fan heater is plugged into the campground on the service panel via an extension cord so it doesn't draw power through the trailer, which the ac/heat unit and the radiator both do (on separate circuits) with no problems. I run those two on their highest setting and the fan heater on the low setting or the plug gets hot. The fan heater sits on the dinette table. It all works like a charm, about 68 degrees in the main area, 73 or so in the back bed area. I am convinced that the thermozite on the windows, skirting around the outside, and 2" memory foam topper on the mattress in the back bed area make all the difference. There is so much snow on the roof that the door has some visible gaps to the outside... I turn on the bathroom exhaust fan so fresh air gets pulled in the gaps in the door, warmed, then pulled into the bathroom (warming it too) before being exhausted. Not a single drop of condensation, and haven't used propane once!

Still... spring can't come soon enough!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #22
funpilot
TrailManor Master

I saw this thread before I ordered my TM. I had them install a new 20 AMP circuit so I can use it for heating. So, thanks for the insight. I promised them I would only use it when the A/C was not running. I also changed the faceplate to a red color.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #23
moaboy

Volvofan, send us a pic of the TM? Although it might scare some of us down South...I did my time in Chicago in a VW Camper Van, so I do know what it is like to be cold...
Old 01-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #24
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by funpilot View Post
I saw this thread before I ordered my TM. I had them install a new 20 AMP circuit so I can use it for heating. So, thanks for the insight. I promised them I would only use it when the A/C was not running. I also changed the faceplate to a red color.

Nice to have it added from the factory. I have that mod on my plate, but it's low on my current list. In the spring, after the first camping trip it will rise on the list.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #25
Padgett
TrailManor Master

You didn't specify but suspect the two heaters on HIGH are pulling 1200-1500W and the small one 800W. Potentally that is 3800W or about 32A on 120VAC. That is more than the input line is rated and possibly only the cold weather keeping it in bounds.

Twere me I'd put an ammeter on the input cable (one of these, a plug and socket from Home Depot or Lowes, and about a foot of #10-2 with ground makes a nice portable system)
Old 02-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #26
kempert
Site Sponsor

Default Two electric heaters

I can run two 1500w heaters (on High) in my TM at the same time. I plug one in at the outlet near the upright cabinet next to the bed. I plug the other in near the furnace on the front slide. They do a good job until the temperature gets into the low 20s.

During a recent storm, we lost electricity and the furnace kept the bed end of the TM above 50 with the furnace set at 62. This was when the outside temperature was below 20 with constant winds of over 30 MPH. There were gusts in the 50 - 60 MPH range. Several nights ago it got down below 10 and the combo of the above heat sources kept the bed end of the TM at around 55 with the furnace set at 62.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #27
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just a note but the heater element for the Coleman Mach 3 roof AC is 1500W/5600BTU. With a nightime OAT of 45ish, it reached 76F inside and was going up when had to be throttled back.

Downside is that it moves a lot of air and is not very quiet (a much lower LOW fan speed would be nice)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #28
moaboy

Thumbs up

Kempert,
That is a lot of wind and cold!
Must have been pretty noisy with all that wind howling.
Not sure how well I'd sleep...but that is a good test.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #29
kempert
Site Sponsor

The noise kept me from getting a good night's sleep. Sometimes the furnace kicking on will disturb my sleep but it ran for long stretches that night. My nose got cold so I slept with a stocking cap pulled down over it. Therefore, my ears were also covered.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #30
moaboy

Well that is true, the colder it is, the longer it runs and does not cycle on and off as much. TM's are relatively well insulated but not really 4 season rv's.