TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2022, 07:34 PM   #1
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default Snow load?

Truck has been in the shop for 5 weeks (head gasket) and I have not been able to get the TM closed up for winter - got it winterized but she is still up. (Was doing some work inside before the truck packed it in). Got the first real snow of the season today and are expecting about another 6-8” over the next few days. It’s dry snow here in the mountains of BC so not really heavy.

My question is what kind of snow load will this handle while it’s up before I have to be concerned. I can probably sweet talk my neighbour into giving me a lift down to the storage yard so I can clear what’s up there now and close her up. But if it can handle about 10” of light snow, I’ll be able to go there myself next week when I get the truck back.

I know I don’t want to close it up while the snow is on the roof - clear it first - but I would hope it could handle afoot of snow without me having to worry.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:39 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

From page 40 of the owners manual…

“ Excessive snow loads can damage the roof of your TrailManor. If you suspect snow is coming, you should place the trailer under shelter or close the unit down to allow access to the roof for snow clearing. One foot of snow (or one inch of ice) should be ok. If the snow accumulation approaches two feet, or if the snow is excessively wet and heavy at one foot, you should remove the snow from the roof.
CAUTION: Do not attempt to close the trailer with snow accumulation on the roof. One inch of dry snow adds 40-60 pounds to the weight of the top. The added weight could cause the top to fall suddenly while being closed, causing personal injury or
trailer damage.”

But that doesn’t say whether that’s open or closed. That’s a lot of weight on the lift arms and the roof.

https://trailmanor.com/wp-content/up...al-v091119.pdf
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:52 PM   #3
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
From page 40 of the owners manual…

“ Excessive snow loads can damage the roof of your TrailManor. If you suspect snow is coming, you should place the trailer under shelter or close the unit down to allow access to the roof for snow clearing. One foot of snow (or one inch of ice) should be ok. If the snow accumulation approaches two feet, or if the snow is excessively wet and heavy at one foot, you should remove the snow from the roof.
CAUTION: Do not attempt to close the trailer with snow accumulation on the roof. One inch of dry snow adds 40-60 pounds to the weight of the top. The added weight could cause the top to fall suddenly while being closed, causing personal injury or
trailer damage.”

But that doesn’t say whether that’s open or closed. That’s a lot of weight on the lift arms and the roof.

https://trailmanor.com/wp-content/up...al-v091119.pdf
Thank you. I doubt it will get to 1 foot but it’s always possible. Wasn’t expecting the truck to be out of commission this long, nor this snow this weekend. Should have the truck back tomorrow, but I’ve been saying that for 3 weeks!!! I have a snow rake that I can bring with me to clear the roof before I shut her down.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This may be obvious, but ...

Shane is right. As TM says, a foot of dry snow should be OK. However, in Maine, there is commonly more than a foot of dry snow on the ground at all times, and a more-or-less sudden change in the weather brings in a squall that comes down as rain. The weather guys are usually able to forecast this, but if there is even a chance of it happening, you need to get the snow off the TM pronto. Almost every winter in Maine, rain-on-snow roof collapses happen - depends on how much rain falls - and a TM won't put up with much.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:19 AM   #5
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

We ended up with about 6" overnight. I'm going to head over this afternoon with the snow rake and clear the top and close her up. If the truck isn't ready, I will sweet talk my neighbour. We're sitting on the cusp right now - wafting between about -5 and +1C, so the possibility of what would be snow becoming rain instead, is there.
Old 11-08-2022, 03:21 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
We ended up with about 6" overnight. I'm going to head over this afternoon with the snow rake and clear the top and close her up. If the truck isn't ready, I will sweet talk my neighbour. We're sitting on the cusp right now - wafting between about -5 and +1C, so the possibility of what would be snow becoming rain instead, is there.
If you have a powerful leaf blower you may be able to blow most of the snow off. There are some obstacles to be aware of on the roof. Be sure not to brake any of the vent covers.

We got 6" of wet snow on our roof while camping in 15* weather in February. It warmed up to 33* the following day. Some of the snow turned to solid ice and then it snowed again that night before we had to close up to go home the next morning. It was quite a job clearing that mess to close down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Julian3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	21580  
Old 11-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #7
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
If you have a powerful leaf blower you may be able to blow most of the snow off. There are some obstacles to be aware of on the roof. Be sure not to brake any of the vent covers.

We got 6" of wet snow on our roof while camping in 15* weather in February. It warmed up to 33* the following day. Some of the snow turned to solid ice and then it snowed again that night before we had to close up to go home the next morning. It was quite a job clearing that mess to close down.
That looks like a chore! I got over and cleared the majority of the snow that night. It had gotten a little crusty but no ice. Got 5” more snow that night but it was quite light. Went and cleared that too. So now there is about 2” on it (from the most recent dusting yesterday) that I will head over and check out tomorrow. Going to be cold but clear for the next week or so. I’ll get a step ladder out there to get a good look at the roof, make sure I’ve got it all off then close it up.

Unfortunately a leaf blower isn’t an option. Can’t plug in to anything in the storage yard. I suppose I could try to haul a generator over. I’m hoping next year I’ll be able to keep her in the yard at home. This year that wasn’t possible. ☹️.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:39 PM   #8
Shane826
TrailManor Master

They do have gas or battery leaf blowers.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 11-08-2022, 06:43 PM   #9
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Unfortunately I don’t have one. I have a skookum electric one. Suppose I could go pick one up at homedepot. Would make life easier.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:08 AM   #10
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Unfortunately I don’t have one. I have a skookum electric one. Suppose I could go pick one up at homedepot. Would make life easier.
Check out Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. You can find them dirt cheap, gas or battery, especially if it’s a brand you already have batteries for.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!