TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
prodesign

Default Propane tank question...

Just picked up our new 2720QS this past week...

I've never used propane tanks before w/ gauges... always been a charcoal guy! So this might be a stupid question but I'm not sure about the propane. The dealer said they filled both propane tanks when we picked it up. So the 1st stop we stayed at after picking up, I turned on the left tank (when facing the hitch) and the stove worked fine. Left it on for the 3 hour drive to next stop for the fridge. Next morning, no gas coming out when turning on the stove. So went out and turned on the 2nd tank (on the right facing the hitch) and gas worked, cooked some eggs and done. Left the tank on for the next day to the next site 4 hours away for the fridge. Got to the last site and closed both tanks.

So here's what my tanks look like and the regulator between them...

From what I am reading on those gauges, the tanks both look like there is at least 3/4 tank of propane left. Is that correct? and if that is the case, why did i have to switch on the other tank? I'm not sure how to read the regulator thing in the center either!

any help would be appreciated as the dealer didn't go over any of the specifics on the tanks and the manual isn't really clear on which way the valves on the regulator go or the readings on the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane1 (Large).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	19564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane2(Large).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	19565   Click image for larger version

Name:	esZnP0P.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	19571  
prodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
Jampcourt

Default Propane tanks

I have a 2013 2922KS and my tanks when filled read about 3/4 on the gauge like yours. I have been told that the gauges for horizontal use are not very accurate, and you will get used to how full or empty they register after you use them a few times and keep track of where they read as you use them. It's a learning process. I think your problem may be with the regulator, your picture three. The regulator I have is different than yours, but I have to turn the switch on my regulator to the side facing the tank I wish to use. When this is done on mine, the regulator automatically switches to the second tank when the first one is empty. The gauge on my regulator turns all green when there is a supply of gas from the opened tanks, but as I said, my regulator is a different type than yours.

Hope this helps.

Happy camping and welcome to the TM community!

Jonathan
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Johnathan's explanation is right on. The regulator assembly draws gas from the tank it is pointed to, until that tank is empty. Then it switches to the other tank (without moving the pointer). When you see that it is drawing from the "wrong" tank, move the pointer to the "right" tank. You can then remove the empty tank, get it filled, and put it back.

The red-green indicator looks different on different regulators, but the meaning is always the same. If green shows, the tank that the pointer is pointing at has propane. When the propane is gone from that tank, the color turns red. When you move the pointer to the "right" tank, the color will turn green again.

As mentioned, the gauges are not wildly accurate. And it is important to remember that there are two dials on each gauge - one labeled Horizontal and one labeled Vertical. You read the one that reflects the position of the tank.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A couple more thoughts. First, there is nothing inherently wrong with turning on only one tank at at time, but it sort of defeats the automatic switchover function. I always turn on both tanks, so the switchover mechanism has something to switch to.

According to the dials, both your tanks appear to have plenty of propane. If the tanks were brand new when you first had them filled, they should have been purged as part of the process. Not all propane jockeys know this, especially if you didn't point out that they are brand new tanks. If the tanks were not purged, you may experience some strange behavior as they settle down. Sounds like you did.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:28 AM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

prodesign,

In your last thumbnail I noticed the black lever was not pointing to either propane tank. Although I am not familiar with the internal operation of an automatic switching regulator, I wonder if the switch needs to be pointed towards a tank for it to function properly.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
prodesign

thank you guys for the info... makes sense from your descriptions. i'll have to set it up right and test it all out when i open it up next time and check it.

dick- yeah i'm assuming i had something wrong on the configuration... if that valve is supposed to point in the direction of the tank used, i can see why it was screwy!

thx again!

jason
prodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
FlyboyTR

Regarding only turning on one tank at a time...

While the auto switchover from one tank to the next is nice, I don't use it. Since we do a lot of boondocking...running out of LP at 2AM on a cold morning is not my idea of a good time! With both tanks on, you never really know when it switches over to the other tank...or to even gauge at what point you will be empty.

For this reason, I use one tank at a time until it is empty. Then switch the valve and open the full tank. At least this way I KNOW I am now on my second tank and the other is empty.

Also...it is best to open the LP tank valve fully to prevent leaking around an older/worn valve. They have a seal at closed and fully opened positions.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #8
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Interesting Travis, I have never had that issue. The auto switchover seems to work just fine having both tanks open. If you keep both tanks open, it will only draw from one tank until the first tank empties. Then, an indicator tells you that the first tank is empty but it will be drawing from the 2nd tank automatically. This way, you won't run out at 2:00 am, but you have to check the valve periodically to check when it switches over. Here is a good video explaining the auto changeover:

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #9
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Interesting Travis, I have never had that issue. The auto switchover seems to work just fine having both tanks open. If you keep both tanks open, it will only draw from one tank until the first tank empties. Then, an indicator tells you that the first tank is empty but it will be drawing from the 2nd tank automatically. This way, you won't run out at 2:00 am, but you have to check the valve periodically to check when it switches over. Here is a good video explaining the auto changeover:
For me...the not knowing of exactly when it switches over is the part that has always concerned me. For me, doing it manually (manual switchover) allows me to know that I now have an empty tank and that I am now running on my second (reserve) tank. Since we frequently boondock in places that would require a long drive for LP...this keeps me out of trouble.

That said...the auto switchover regulator is nice and effective as long as you don't forget to keep an eye on the fuel levels!

Larry....thanks! Always appreciate your input!
Old 10-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #10
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Your tanks don’t have gauges on them? I do a walk-around of the camper in the morning and before dark. Includes looking at the gauges, making sure the water hose isn’t dripping, disconnect the power cable to make sure it isn’t getting hot & melty, give the corner jacks a little twist, etc.

If you have gauges on your tanks you’ll know one is gonna run out soon and keep an eye on it. Then when that one empties and the regulator flips you can go fill the empty tank SO YOU NEVER RUN OUT OF PROPANE.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote