TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2003, 06:26 PM   #1
Russ-Bett

Default Installing a Radio?

I've done a search re: kind of radio for my 2619. I wasn't able to find anything among the numberous results. Seems I remember someone discussing where they had bought a radio. Also, there was some discussion on the kind of radio and installation.

I would appreciate any help you can provide on this subject. On our recent trip we where without TV for one night (way down in a valley in the mts. of NC) and realized the need for a radio.

Does anyone know what kinds of radio are available to fit into the space in the TM? AM? FM? Shortwave? etc.? CD player?

Thanks for your help.

Russ
Old 10-26-2003, 06:48 PM   #2
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Installing a Radio?

Russ,
I installed a Kenwood radio that I purchased from www.crutchfield.com It was what is called a single DIN size and fits in the factory cutout over the fridge. If your TM is factory pre-wired for a radio, there will be wires behind the cutout panel to make the connection. You only need the standard wiring harness that comes with the radio to complete the installation. I also installed a 10 disk CD changer with mine. It sits on top of the water tank under the sink on my 2720SL.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:42 PM   #3
azroadrunner

Russ,

I picked a Pioneer DEH-P4500MP that I bought at WalMart. The reason I chose this model is because it plays MP3 files and has a small remote. A single CD with MP3 files will hold over 100 selections and play for hours. The small remote works from the front couch and controls almost all the functions. The installation was a breeze. FM sensitivity is excellent. AM not so good. The AM section had considerable 60 cycle hum from the converter until I installed the 7300 conversion. No hum now.

Jim
Old 10-28-2003, 11:46 AM   #4
Russ-Bett

Mike and Jim --

thanks for your help. I'm going to take a look at both sources.

Mike, did you have the same hum problem when you installed your radio from Crutchfield?

Now I'll show my igonorance, what does DIN stand for?

Russ
Old 10-28-2003, 11:59 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

DIN is the acronym for Deutsches Instituts für Normung (DIN), which translates as something like German Institute for Standards. Now, aren't you glad you asked?

DIN is one of a number of international standards-setting organizations that define standard sizes of stuff like electronics modules, standard configurations for stuff like DIN connectors, and a thousand other things. Been around a long time. No one is obliged to use DIN standards for anything, but it does make manufacturing and interchangeability easier. Most auto makers have gone with DIN sizing (so-called single-DIN or double-DIN) standards for their radios, so most any radio will fit in most any opening. The electrical connectors on the back of the radio have not been standardized, however - each radio has its own. One of the good things about Crutchfield is that they will not only supply a radio, but a matching connector. Otherr shops may do the same, of course. You still have to wire the connector into the car - or into the TM, in this case - but it is not too hard.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:21 PM   #6
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Russ,
Initially, I had a small amount of hum with the radio but it was only noticible during dead air time or between CD tracks. The hum was removed with the 7300 converter upgrade installation.

Bill,
Thanks for the DIN description. I knew what it was but didn't know where it came from. BTW the auto mfg's also use a 1.5 DIN radio size,

MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
Bruce

A tv with a built in radio is a good choice. This way you have less counter top clutter and the TM amplified antenna will super charge your fm reception.

Bruce
Old 10-29-2003, 01:45 PM   #8
Russ-Bett

Bruce -

You opened another option I wasn't aware of.

Please excuse my ignorance, I wasn't aware of a TV that included a radio -- on second thought it sounds like a good idea. Can you or someone give more details on the kind of TV you bought which includes a radio? Does it also included a tape and/or CD player?

Russ
Old 10-31-2003, 07:15 PM   #9
Bruce

Russ,
The wife & I are not big tv watchers so we only have a 7" b&w that I purchased at Radio Shack for $60. It has an am/fm built in and with the antenna connected the fm reception is great. We actually listen to the radio more than we watch the tv so this small set works for us but my local Best Buy has a 9" color set with remote and am/fm. I believe the cost was about $200 but I cannot remember the brand.

Bruce
Old 10-31-2003, 07:22 PM   #10
Bruce

Russ,
Oh yeah. Forgot to answer the 2nd part of your question.
I did see that Best Buy had a 5" portable color tv with a cd player and am/fm as an Xmas promotion last year for the blowout price of $90.00. When I got to the store they were all gone and this is the only tv with cd and am/fm that I know of.
We just use a boombox for our cd's. I get one that is 12 volt, that is it takes 8 batteries, and then I can solder in a cigarette lighter plug and run it on the TM's dc circuit.

Bruce