TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
TrailGuy77

Question Frame Advice Needed

Hello Everyone!

I purchased a 2010 TrailManor 3023 on March 5,2010 from a very reputable TM dealer.Unfortunately,I have discovered many problems with it,most of which are relatively minor.You can read my original post on the "Feedback To TrailManor" section.The thread was started by Like2Ride.However,one of the biggest problems is frame rust.

It appears that the factory did not prime and paint the frame immediately after it was assembled.My dealer and I think that the frame had started to rust before it was coated.The rust is fairly thick and is right underneath the paint all along the inner and outer frame rails.Originally,my dealer said they would sand,prime and repaint it with the body on the frame which would prevent them from accessing the top and the tight spots.

Now,after closer inspection and considering what is right in the long run for my satisfaction and their reputation,they are considering sending my trailer back to the factory to replace the "ENTIRE FRAME".They said they have never seen a new TrailManor with a rusty frame.Now,here comes the difficult part,I know it may sound more logical to send it back to the factory in Tennesse,But I am concerned about the possibility of creating other problems in the process and COMPLETION TIME.I have heard stories here about other members TM's sitting at the factory for a couple of months waiting to be repaired.My dealer said it would probably take about 3-4 weeks total time including shipping.I don't think the frame is going to fall apart in the next couple of years but I also don't want to deal with rust for the rest of my ownership!
Which route would you guys go? Please Give Me Some Advice!
Thanks,
TrailGuy77

TM:2010 3023,Electric Tongue Jack
TV:2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4x4 V8-Doug Thorley Headers,Gibson 2 1/2" Exhaust,Draw-Tite Brake Controller,Eaz-Lift 1000 LB WDH
Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGuy77 View Post
Hello Everyone!

I purchased a 2010 TrailManor 3023 on March 5,2010 from a very reputable TM dealer.Unfortunately,I have discovered many problems with it,most of which are relatively minor.You can read my original post on the "Feedback To TrailManor" section.The thread was started by Like2Ride.However,one of the biggest problems is frame rust.

It appears that the factory did not prime and paint the frame immediately after it was assembled.My dealer and I think that the frame had started to rust before it was coated.The rust is fairly thick and is right underneath the paint all along the inner and outer frame rails.Originally,my dealer said they would sand,prime and repaint it with the body on the frame which would prevent them from accessing the top and the tight spots.

Now,after closer inspection and considering what is right in the long run for my satisfaction and their reputation,they are considering sending my trailer back to the factory to replace the "ENTIRE FRAME".They said they have never seen a new TrailManor with a rusty frame.Now,here comes the difficult part,I know it may sound more logical to send it back to the factory in Tennesse,But I am concerned about the possibility of creating other problems in the process and COMPLETION TIME.I have heard stories here about other members TM's sitting at the factory for a couple of months waiting to be repaired.My dealer said it would probably take about 3-4 weeks total time including shipping.I don't think the frame is going to fall apart in the next couple of years but I also don't want to deal with rust for the rest of my ownership!
Which route would you guys go? Please Give Me Some Advice!
Thanks,
TrailGuy77

TV:2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4x4 V8-Doug Thorley Headers,Gibson 2 1/2" Exhaust,Draw-Tite Brake Controller,Eaz-Lift 1000 LB WDH
If TM has offered to replace the frame, you probably should take them up on it. It doesn't sound like an ideal situation and I can imagine all kinds of things that could go wrong with this proceedure but the alternative would be "Living with it" no matter how bad it gets. The implications of that could be worse.

I doubt they will repeat the offer a year down the road if you refuse now. Sounds to me like you may be committed at this point.

If you do decide to "Live with it", I would suggest getting it sand-blasted and painted. That won't take care of the top of the frame (under the floor) but it would take care of the bulk of it. Great care would have to be taken to prepare it for sand-blasting.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
robertkennel

I agree with Wayne on all points. Send it back and get it fixed correctly. Sure you will be without your trailer for awhile but you may be miserable for the life of the trailer if you don't get it fixed. Don't forget the resale someday too. Send it back to the dealer before they change their mind. Robert

Rust: the metal termite
Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
rumbleweed

As your dealer appears to be very reasonable, you might ask them to provide a loaner if the trailer is gone for more than 4-5 weeks even if it is just for the times you wish to use it.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
TrailGuy77

Thanks for the feedback! I should receive the verdict from my dealer in the next day or two.My TM is there now getting the rest of the stuff taken care of.My next camping trip is scheduled for the middle of April and I have others planned in the late spring and during the summer.My dealer doesn't want me to have to cancel the next trip,so they will probably let me take it "as is" and return it to them after the trip! They would then proceed with the frame replacement provided that they get the approval.If this takes place,a loaner trailer would be nice if it takes more than 4 weeks!

TrailGuy77

Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
moaboy

Default Somebody Asleep at the Factory?

I hope all works out for you and what a hassle. If all is as stated I'm a bit disappointed with quality control at the TM factory. I hope they learn from this situation.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
MisterP

If I may inject one thought as a soon to be repeat TM owner.

I personally would not use the trailer as is for another trip prior to the repair. Although Trailmanor may step up and repair the unit there are potential loopholes if you use the trailer for a time, they repair it and then further problems occur. They could claim future issues were normal wear and tear and your responsibility. I have been through this with the current trailer I own (different manufacturer) and my problems were ignored until two more showed up at the dealer with the same problem. My trailer was at the dealer for six months.

Document every contact you have with the dealer or TM, get all agreements in writing and don't use the trailer. It's business not personal but you need to protect your future interests.