TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Door Frame Misalignment

The door on our '07 2720sl has always been hard to close.
You have to push or pull very hard to get the door bolts to engage in the frame channel. I thought that this was due to foam insulation strips that needed to be compressed for the door to make a tight seal but it appears that the lower, left side, hinged door frame (that swings out) was not aligned correctly.

Hopefully, you can see from my 2 photos that it doesn't have the same reveal (edge alignment) at the top and bottom of the lower door frame. This causes the door to first hit at the bottom of the frame and requires that door be almost deflected in to engage the locking mechanism.

So, if I attempt to realign the left side, hinged door frame (that is secured to the exterior wall) by redrilling holes and correcting it to vertical --- some of the new holes may slightly overlap the old holes. While the metal frame is heavier gauge than sheet metal --- do you think that overlapping holes will prevent the hinged door frame from being properly secured ?

I was going to buy fine threaded sheet metal screws for this job hoping that the extra threads would provide enough extra "grab" to offset any contact loss from overlapping holes.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Door Frame 2_320x240.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2952   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Door Frame 1_320x240.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2953  
Old 09-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Eric -

Could you drill new holes in the piano hinge, an inch or so displaced from the original ones, to provide a new grip?

Or maybe screw a patch, maybe 1x2 inches, over each of the old screw holes, and then drill new holes in the patch?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Goodyear Travels

Thanks Bill --- I'll use the old holes even if there's some hole overlap and drill a few in-betweeners for strength and stability. Funny --- my mind locked-into using just the original hinge holes.
Thank you again.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
P and B

I'm having a similar problem with the door alignment on the jam side (as opposed to the door side). When the TM is perfectly level, the door jam actual hits the top of the frame, overlapping by about 1/16". To get it to seat, I have to push up on the outside torsion bar and then have my wife gently tap on the jam to get it seated.

This might be different than the problem described here but it sounds similar. I'm attributing it the shell needing to be adjusted upward about 1/4". Has anyone else experienced this?

Phil
Old 09-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I would remove the piano hinge and "file" the original holes so that they are elongated. After I got the door adjusted properly, I'd drill 2 new holes (top & bottom and add 2 screws to keep the hinge from drifting in the elongated holes..
Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Goodyear Travels

Thanks Sailor, You and Bill have been most helpful.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
jellis

Just a thought here; when we got our new 2007 3124KB, the door never seemed to align correctly, even though the dealer tweaked it. After having an unrelated problem, we took it back to the factory where they looked at the door, readjusted the torsion bar mechanism and fixed our problem without having to re-drill or move anything. Seems the TM came from the factory without proper alignment. They were building them as fast as they could get them off the line at the time and I'm wondering if quality control suffered as a result. In TM's defense, they did a really nice job of fixing our rig.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
ng2951

I usually just put a few extra turns on one of the legs and that fixes everything.