TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
ColoradoCple

Default Is it hot in the Bedroom?

We are looking into purchasing a small RV like the TM and reading all the forums to educate ourselves on them. My question is, Is the "bedroom area" where the mattress is located tend to get hot in warm weather? It doesn't seem to have any air flow except for the window above the bed and I was wondering if there are any a/c vents or fans in this area? I'm in that menopause phase and need the air...ha

Also, besides the toliet, is there any other "differences" between the TM and a fifth wheel (which we have now) besides the size and that the TM folds down and the gas mileage? We really want something smaller and a unit that is easier to park, but dont' want to give up on all the comforts.

Thanks so much for the info.

Linda & Jim
Old 03-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
BrigCA61

The bedroom is very comfortable and no, it doesn't feel hot. If heat is an issue, the a/c will resolve that problem. The vents aim directly down the hall and into the bedroom. There is also a Fantastic vent/fan that circulates the air well throughout the trailer.

I've never owned a 5th wheel or any other type of trailer, but just guessing, I would say that the fridge is different... TM has a fridge that is mounted below the counter, so it's not full-sized like it would be in a 5th wheel... you do have to bend over to get things and it's smaller but for 2 people, it should serve you well. You also can not walk around the bed in the TM as you might in a 5th wheel, but that has not been a problem for us.

My niece who visited with us and camped in our TM is used to being in a 5th wheel and she said ours was every bit as comfy and nice as the 5th wheel her parents have, in fact she actually preferred the TM.

Oh, and SOO MUCH EASIER TO TOW! Go check one out...at a show, or rv dealer or perhaps someone here lives close enough to you that they will be willing to show you theirs.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
PopBeavers

What TM model are you looking at? Our T2005 TM 2720 has three windows in the rear queen bed area, left, right and rear.

My wife has the same problem as you, so I understand the issue.

We rarely have hookups, so we never use the a/c.

If it is too hot to sleep and no power for a/c then I clip a small 12 volt fan to the top of the bathroom wall and plug it into the cigarette lighter at the bottom of the wall. It is pretty quiet and moves enough air to solve the problem. But, we live in a low humidity environment. I have no experience with high humidity areas.

T
Old 03-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
ColoradoCple

Default Dogs

I notice that you also have dogs...I have two poodles and were wondering if they would be comfortable in the unit if we were running around and not with them. Do your dogs like being in the TM?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
ColoradoCple

Default To Wayne

Yes, we are also looking at the 2720 with the large living area. It looks really comfortable and roomy...we don't need a dining area, we end up watching tv in living room most of the time anyway. We really like the idea of this RV being so easy to use, but we are just concerned about the toliet and it's oder. We need to think about it a little more.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
wwjam

Default Toilet

I can't take the heat either. We were in over 100 degree weather and with the AC on low and the whole trailer was comfortable. Odor in the bathroom was a concern of mine too. The right chemicals are the key. I was amazed at how private the bathroom is, and any time there was any odor it stayed in there.

We are selling our trailer, it's a 2006 2720 SL If you are interested we could travel as far as Idaho for delivery.

Jo Ann
Old 03-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
BrigCA61

We have the 2720 with the front dinette. It's got the slide out so there's lots of room in the entry way. With the sofa in front instead of the dinette you'll have more walking-around room then us. We have 2 medium sized crates against the far wall - adjacent from the front door that stick out no further than the seating area, so it's never in the way. The 2 (feisty) Jack Russells stay in their crates whenever we have to leave them in the trailer while we are away for a few hours. The bigger dog can hang out where ever he pleases. At night, the two smaller dogs snuggle with us in bed (plenty of room even in the queen sized bed (we have a king at home, and this seems bigger than most queens for some reason). The big dog sleeps on one of the dinette sofa seats with a sheet over it. We are all very comfy. Whenever we are all in there together, the big dog always curls up under the table so you don't even know he's there - he actually prefers that spot. I would not leave the dogs alone in the trailer if they are noisy or if the temperature is too hot. If the a/c failed for some reason or there was a power outtage, they could easily die from heat exposure. I would think the TM is the same as any other trailer/5th wheel when it comes to pets being comfortable in it. They aren't too picky afterall Your poodles will be very well suited for the TM. Oh, and we bought the trailer primarily so we can travel and have our dogs with us.... we have been 100% pleased with our purchase so far and have no complaints... this year I've already booked 12 camping trips... we've owned the trailer 2 years now (wow, time flies!!).

Do some searching for the toilet... lots of posts about it. We don't have any issues with it that are "unbearable" and I have a very sensitive nose and hate nasty oders!! In cooler weather, we've never had odor issues. It is only when the weather is very hot - say 90 and above, that there may be some issues. You can keep the bathroom window cracked if it becomes an issue. But mostly, if you do your #2 in the public facilities, you won't have any problems for about 3-4 days. We use the non-formaldehyde drop-ins by CampaChem. You can also add a "Toddy Poddy" for extra oder control. But like I said, it's mostly a non issue. There is a fan in the toilet too to direct the odors outdoors.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Bill & Lisa

in addition to the difference in the fridge (although a nice feature is the TM fridge is 3 way gas/AC/DC is:
Airconditioner is not ducted but blows out fins on each end.
You will need to put away/set up your micro wave upon setting breaking camp - we stowed ours on the bathroom floor.

The TV will also probably have to have a "travel location" unless you get the factory mounted one on the bathroom wall. You also can get a TV shelf for the bedroom but again the TV will have to be stowed during travel as nothing can stay mounted in the upper half of the camper as it closes down to travel.

Depending on your 5th wheel (we just brough a Montana but looked at a lot of models) the TM will probably give you more counter space unless you have a rear kitchen or isle extension on the 5th wheel's kitchen.

The TM has two DC power jacks (our montana only one) but they will not accept the oversized DC jacks. Small fans or portable TV's okay, DC appliances maybe not.

Hope that helps,
Bill
Old 03-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Cowboy Cody

Default Take down

Welll said Leon, I need to get up to Deton to meet up with you. I reallly like what I have heard from you in your post. Smart. down to earth. simple.
Cowboy Cody
Old 03-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
lnussbau

Your login name indicates you're somewhere in Colorado. I'm on the north side of Westminster (Denver suburb), and I'd be pleased to show you around my 2006 2720SL and discuss it, if getting here is a reasonable drive for you. There are number of other folks on here from Colorado, also, who would likely be just as pleased to show you around.

Our bedroom has three windows, not just one and, as someone mentions above, the A/C blasts right into the bedroom for the hot days, if you have electric plugin (or generator), and the vent fan can move a lot of air, sucking it through all three windows, if needed. With the typical Colorado cool nights it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Probably the biggest difference between a 5th wheel and the TM, toilet wise, is that the TM's toilet is a self-contained recirculating type, rather than directly feeding a "black water" tank, but as mentioned above the right chemicals keep odor from being a real problem.

I spent a week at Scout summer camp (solo) without a problem -- comfy -- though I tended to use the camp facilities except at night.

All in all, it'll be reasonably comfortable, even when it rains all night or day, whether dry camping or with hookups.