TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
ferdeggan

Default Security and Vandalism

Has anyone ever experienced vandalism to their TM? I am considering buying one, but i wonder about how fragile those thin support bars holding up the extended front and back might be. In sub- and urban areas, it seems there could be a problem. If the supports are bent or broken, will the unit close and open enough to get it to a repair shop? What do you all think?
Old 06-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

I think you worry too much. My truck does not have bullet-proof glass but it survives. People who travel in Rv's generally leave things outside which could easily be stolen but seldom experience any losses. Relax (unless you want a tank).
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Security Issues

In the 40 years we've been camping, we had only one theft (from our vacant tent) and have only felt in danger one time (We left at sunrise, instead of staying three days.).

There's no human way you can be 100% protected, but you can and should "follow your gut feeling." We checked out a campground near the river in Memphis, TN. It was listed as OK, in the camping directories. To get there, we passed an abandoned motel that had been vandalized and gutted; the neighborhood had seen better days. Did we stay there? Fat chance!

We always check this forum, ask others, and - starting this year - are looking for "Family RV Parks," "Camping Resorts," etc. We also ask about security, ask where the Host stays, and if there is a 24-hr. emergency number to call. Then - we enjoy ourselves!

We've found that most RVers soon get to know those around them, and we all try to take care of each other - so everyone enjoys the experience. That's what good neighbors do!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Doug W.

The support bars are very stout. They are one inch thick wall square tubing. A hack saw is not going to get it unless you want to be there for a while. Forget bending them unless you want to use a sledge hammer. You also can not easily slide the beds back in or the bed and couch if you have one with a front slider. There are latches inside that prevent that. Still like the others have said, that is rarely a problem. We had a tent trailer when I was young. I also upgraded from a tent trailer. They are extremely easy to get into. We have left for the day many times like to go to an amusement park and never had anything stolen.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:47 AM   #5
USAFCOP

To answer your question about wether the trailer will open with an arm bent, yes it will. I bought mine used, for pretty cheap because the owner cut a corner too sharp and caught the arm on something and bent it good right where it bolts to the torsion bar.

Anyway, if it does get damaged, simply call trailmanor. Mine is a 94 3124, and even though they do not make the arms the same anymore, Adam gave me a quote of $100.44 to build me a new arm and to include instructions on the repair.

So I would say go for it. I like mine a lot more than my old tent trailer already, and I have not even camped in it yet!!! Inaugural trip will be OURAY Co over the 4th of July!
Old 06-09-2006, 04:57 AM   #6
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

Where else could you get such great factory support?!!! They truly are "family"!!!
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Deacon
We've found that most RVers soon get to know those around them, and we all try to take care of each other - so everyone enjoys the experience. That's what good neighbors do!
I'll second Virginia's comments. Random vandalism is a tough thing to accomplish in a campground. From the vandal's point of view, there is always someone wandering around, and it is never clear who belongs to which camper. In addition, it is never clear which camper has a snoopy little old lady, watching everything while she hides behind a curtain.

I've "camped" in some pretty seedy places, and never had a hint of a problem.

Now, if you are asking about vandalism in a storage lot, that's something else entirely. But in my experience, a fenced and lighted lot, with well-advertised video surveillance, is a pretty safe bet.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
Pat Stafford

Smile

The only security item we added to our TM was a keyed deadbolt to the upper part of the split door. It does require cutting holes in the door and jam so if you are not comfortable doing this type of work, have it done by someone who is.

I think most of us do store some things outside the TM when it is set up. I know we do. While theft has not been an issue for us, the best advice I ever received was to avoid having things that attract thieves in plain sight if you are away for extended periods. Most thieves want items they can turn for a quick profit such as small LCD TVs, computers, digital cameras, etc. Tere isn't much market for a used BBQ grill or $10 lawn chair.