TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
Shortcut

Default Reese WDH Toyota Highlander

Yet another WDH posting from an RV newbie--sorry. Still learning the ropes on our 2021 2720 QB TM. On our FWD Toyota Highlander, we have a TWR of 5000 pounds and a tongue weight maximum of 500 pounds. We had the TM out several times without a WDH and FWD traction was noticeably reduced and I was spotting raccoons in the trees at night. I measured the tongue weight at 350-400 pounds (loaded) and all things considered, we are much closer to the vehicle ratings than I expected.

From the Forum discussions, it seemed that most TM owners were using either the Anderson or Reese 600# WDH. TM Dealer indicated Anderson was suggested, but not necessarily recommended by TM.

In the end, I opted for the Reese 600# WDH system (the Reese 400# unit is undersized for the TM2720--look carefully at the Reese data sheets). Some other brands had spring bars that were too short. Check installation diagrams for allowable distances from ball to spring bar brackets. To make room for the Reese frame brackets, I needed to move the TM breakaway switch forward about an inch, and the safety cable backward about an inch.

Now with the WDH installed, I scarcely know the TM is in tow. Vehicle is level, traction is restored, and handling just right. I never had concerns about sway, but the Reese WDH gives a little more confidence about that.

Now....I need to be really careful about loading and approaching the tongue limits of the Highlander. I know that the WDH adds to the tongue load, but the load distribution is worth it for us. Hope our experience helps others.
Shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

The physical WDH may add to the tongue weight, but the physics of the WDH will actually reduce the tongue weight. Go to a CAT scale and check your axle weights with the trailer unhitched, the trailer hitched but the WDH disconnected, and the trailer hitched with the WDH connected. It’s pretty amazing how it moves the weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle and out to the front axle and trailer axle.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:18 PM   #3
momto4girls

Thank you for sharing your experience!

I know this is an old thread, but if the OP is still around...what year is your Highlander?
Old 04-30-2023, 12:49 PM   #4
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience!

I know this is an old thread, but if the OP is still around...what year is your Highlander?
Looks like the OP, Shortcut, hasn't been around since last Fall, but I tow my 2922KB with a 2020 Highlander (AWD with a factory hitch) and a Curt Weight Distribution Hitch (with 600 lb bars).

I've used the Curt hitch for two and a half years, but am converting over to an Andersen hitch to save some weight and to hopefully have a WDH which is a little easier to hook up.

Storage of the Curt WDH head and spring arms (when not under tow) takes up a significant amount of space in the rear of my Highlander, as well. I'm hoping the transition to the Andersen will allow me to discontinue carrying a sizable tool box which homes the Curt WDH.

Rich and Lynn
2021 2922KB

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 02:23 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Although Shortcut didn't say so, all of the Highlanders, since at least 2010, appear to have 5000 pound tow rating. So that is probably what Shortcut had. Collective wisdom here on the Forum seems to agree that 5000 pounds is adequate.

We had a 2002 Explorer, then a 2006 Explorer, both V-8's rated at about 6500 pounds. Our WDH was a Reese Trunnion hitch (we never did add the anti-sway option to that hitch). We had 1200 pound bars, which were too stiff. I would have preferred 800 pound bars because we tend to travel heavy, but 600 is said to be adequate for a more common setup. I wouldn't go lower, though. The chain and snap-up bracket on the WDH were perfectly easy to set up and take down, and we never has an issue with it. We kept the cheater bar in the rear bumper compartment of the TM, since we had to get into it anyway to reach the sewer hoses.

When we were camping, we always left the hitch head right on the vehicle, with a rubber cup on the ball to keep grease off my pants. I suppose a lockable hitch pin would have been smart, but I never did it. And we always slid the spring bars and the McKesh tow mirrors under the TM, out of sight. So there was no need to put any of it in the bed of the truck or the way-back of the Explorers. Never had a problem.

We have a different tow vehicle today, so the towing arrangement is different. But if I could go back to those Explorers, I wouldn't do anything different except downsize the springbars.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
highlander, reese, wdh