TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default TPMS recommendations

We have had a lot of discussion of TPMS systems, and after getting a flat yesterday, I think it is time for me to get a TPMS for the TM. I am having trouble pulling together all the information, and time is short, so I am looking for quick recommendations. Here are things I am thinking about.

1. Two external sensors are enough (TM only - my truck has its own TPMS)
2. Its own receiver/display - I really don’t want another app on my cell phone.
3. Do the wheels need to be rebalanced after the sensors are screwed on?
4. Is a repeater needed? I have a 2720 pulled by an F-150 pickup.
5. How long do sensor batteries last? Are they replaceable?
6. Are the low pressure trip points programmable?
7. I’m not sure that temperature sensing is worthwhile. Thoughts?
8. Cost - not the first driver, but I see them anywhere from $25-$400.

What is your experience?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

1- I’ve looked for systems with just two, they are hard to come by.

2- I went the exact opposite way but I bought a cheap used Android device that functions as my rear view camera display, TPMS running in the background with alerts when there is an issue, has my digital leveler app, and also a scan tool app for my truck. No cell service, just WiFi and Bluetooth.

3- I didn’t rebalance the wheels.

4- Mine came with a repeater. The 4 sensors (3326) have short range and then the repeater transmits strong to the truck.

5- Batteries are replaceable, not sure how long they last.

6- Yes you program temperature and pressure parameters.

7- Temperature seems like a good idea, kinda surprised cars and trucks don’t monitor temperature. On the trailer seems like an easy way to detect a wheel bearing or brake issue.

8- You get what you pay for. If I were to have an additional display I think the solar ones are kinda neat. But the $25 setups seem to not work so well.

Here’s the one I bought... It works pretty well, but again you don’t want to go through the phone.

Lippert Components - 2020106863... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CFJVZJH...p_mob_ap_share
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
TammyandTony

I have used this one for the past 2 years:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Careud TP880

It meets all your requirements:
For a motorcycle, 2 wheels
Works to the cab of my Tundra
Haven't replaced the batteries yet, and I've left them on during our very cold winters
Compact but large pressure display, usb chargeable
$63
2021 Jeep Gladiator
TammyandTony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
1. Two external sensors are enough (TM only - my truck has its own TPMS)
That's all I ever bought too. I've used the 507 system by TST Truck for maybe 10 years, and it's been great. See:

https://tsttruck.com/shop/kit-sales-...no_of_wheels=9

Quote:
2. Its own receiver/display - I really don’t want another app on my cell phone.
Yes, the TST one has its own display. They also sell a black and white display, which will save a few bucks if you can find a kit with one. I don't suspect the color adds any value.

Quote:
3. Do the wheels need to be rebalanced after the sensors are screwed on?
I have not with mine, though I do have metal valve stems, which I think you'd want for a stem-mounted sensor. You can also consider sensors that mount on the rim, which is how car ones are, but obviously the tire has to be unmounted to install them. They are better, I think, in that they don't need to be removed to check pressure or add air, and I suspect also provide better temperature sensing, especially when the cause of that heat is the bearing. I believe TST sells them.

Quote:
4. Is a repeater needed? I have a 2720 pulled by an F-150 pickup.
Yes, you will want a repeater. For several years I used the TST sensors without a repeater. It worked great, though occasionally a wheel would drop out for awhile. Then last summer, the wheels would only rarely register with the receiver, but when I took the display/receiver back to the wheels, they would register. I called TST, and they said a repeater was necessary, increasingly so because there is so much more RF interference today, not only from the vehicle itself (some cars' computers connect with cell towers to transmit data), but also owners can have cell phones and bluetooth devices that cause interference. I ordered the $50 repeater, plugged it into a cigarette outlet at the rear gate, and problem solved. Better than before, even.

Quote:
5. How long do sensor batteries last? Are they replaceable?
Mine last at least a year, sometimes even two years. Three screws open up the sensor to reveal a coin battery, which is easily sourced and replaced.

Quote:
6. Are the low pressure trip points programmable?
Yes. As are high temperature trip points.

Quote:
7. I’m not sure that temperature sensing is worthwhile. Thoughts?
I think so, particularly if you're going to go through the effort of getting a pressure sensor, and temperature sensing is also available in the same unit. Ultimately, I think this feature would have more value in rim-mounted sensors, though I like having it on valve-mounted sensors. Even when the sun is shining on one of them, I don't find it significantly influences the temperature when going at highway speeds. Slower than that, and certainly, when stopped, it changes the temp alot.

I find the temperature readings to be pretty consistent, relative to ambient temp -- normally, they are 20-30 degrees warmer. If they read 50 degrees warmer, I'd be pulling over to investigate, especially the hub.

Quote:
8. Cost - not the first driver, but I see them anywhere from $25-$400.
Sounds about right. The above-linked TST kit, which includes 2 sensors and a repeater, is $333 direct from TST. Not sure how they're priced elsewhere.

Quote:
What is your experience?
I will also say that TST has outstanding customer service. They're in Georgia, and we were having problems last year with our display while on a transcon trip when they suggested the repeater. I ended up getting the repeater from a different source as they could get it to us faster, but when we got it, it didn't work. I called TST, and they said, oops, sorry, that other rep shouldn't have told you the repeater won't work with your older display/receiver, so we'll make it right and send you a new display/receiver for free. Arrived in 2 days. Amazing.

I highly recommend them. Our sensors have traveled 10's of thousands of miles.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Oh, one other thing: the TST display is battery operated, I think with a lithium-ion battery. It it charged via a common USB-type connector via a common USB charger (such as what are in most newer vehicles). At first, I didn't like this, because I already had a switched 12-volt power source in use from the old display that went right to the dashboard. But it has turned out to be a non-issue, as the battery lasts many hours -- at least several 8-hr days of use worth, anyway. So now I never plug it in while in the vehicle, and I only need to charge it a few times a year.

Dave
Old 04-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Good inputs, folks,and thanks. I would welcome more.

Shane, that's a nice-looking unit. The price is a bit high for me, especially since I would need to buy another phone as you did. But the inclusion of a repeater makes it tempting.

Tony, the price is certainly right. My concern is that a unit specified for motorcycles has to operate over only a very short distance. I know some of our discussions here on the Forum have been from disappointed buyers who discovered that a repeater is needed - if one even exists.

Dave, $333 is a bit out of my price range, but it iooks like a nice unit from a reputable mfr.

-----------------------

I have uncovered a new possibility. The Schrader SCHRFK4S is a 4-sensor system, and the senors are mounted inside the tire - something I hadn't considered. This makes checking and adjusting tire pressure a snap, since there is no need to unscrew the sensor. It is a bit pricey at $150, but I think Schrader is a good brand, and my local tire shop (Discount Tire) will get it for me and install it for $15 per tire. They guarantee that it doesn't need a repeater, and will guarantee its operation as part of the transaction. We'll see.

https://highskyrvparts.com/rv-parts/...t-kit-schrfk4s

I would still welcome your inputs.

Bill
Old 04-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Dave, $333 is a bit out of my price range, but it iooks like a nice unit from a reputable mfr.

I would still welcome your inputs.

Bill
Tweety's, which I think is a reputable reseller, appears to sell the 2-sensor TST kit for $259, free shipping:

https://tweetys.com/tst507-color-sys...t-adapter.aspx

Dave
Old 04-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I also had found that my wireless fridge/ freezer thermometer operates on 433 Mhz, the same frequency as the TPMS. That too could have caused interference, though for awhile they seemed to peacefully co-exist without a repeater.

Dave
Old 04-20-2021, 12:06 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Dave -

Now you have my attention! That is more like what I was thinking.

Bill
Old 04-20-2021, 02:25 PM   #10
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Bill- Wow it went up in price. I didn’t even look at the current price; found it in my Amazon history and copied the link. I think I paid about $50 less than that. And the cheap Android phone was all of $25 off Craigslist.

I agree if you can find a system with internal mounted sensors that might be better for monitoring temperature. BUT if they are like a car TPMS, they will screw onto the back of the valve stem, which might mean steel valve stems won’t work.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote