TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
Expanderoo

Default Shower curtain clips

So the new-to-us 2007 3124KB came with heavy vinyl attached to the folding shower walls. Well, it was originally attached with Velcro but that had started to fail. A previous owner also added a grab bar (maybe this standard equipment) but put this vinyl shower curtain behind the grab bar and also behind a show head holder they added to the upper right rear wall of the shower.

Based on prior threads here, I get where they were going with this but I wanted to redo this because of the failing Velcro (and just how heavy the vinyl material was).

I'm a big fan of the inexpensive shower curtain liners from Ikea. That said, these clips should be universal assuming your shower curtain has stamped holes roughly 6.5mm (I'm making the cap 9mm I think so really it should work between 6.5-8mm).

I thought about this and realized a couple of things:

1) If I avoided putting a holder right in the middle of the corner (of the two folding shower walls), then there should be an offset between each clip so that when you fold the walls, the clips will not collide.

2) If the clips do not protrude past the wall but instead are say above, they should be able to stay even in place even if the wall is folded.

I think I have both of those right and there is a little more to #1 but hard to word it but you get the gist of it.

So here is what my clip looks like:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 10.08.38 PM.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  6.7 KB

It clips over the top of the shower walls. The little indents are for the trim. The fit is snug but they slide easily along the top of the wall (which was an accident but might be a good thing).

And a pin (that I've figured out has to be printed solid for strength):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 10.08.46 PM.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	18388

It would be nice to have some sort of cam lock or screw or something for the pin but leaving that for a later revision.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
Expanderoo

I published the files on Thingiverse here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3717575
Old 06-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I found using those clips that hold the table cover on the picnic table work great. No need for Velcro. You can pop them on when you need to and store them with the vinyl in the bathroom when not needed. For me, the Velcro just didn’t stay stuck when the temp gets to 90+ degrees.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tablecloth-...%2C236&sr=8-12
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Expanderoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
I found using those clips that hold the table cover on the picnic table work great. No need for Velcro. You can pop them on when you need to and store them with the vinyl in the bathroom when not needed. For me, the Velcro just didn’t stay stuck when the temp gets to 90+ degrees.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tablecloth-...%2C236&sr=8-12
I like how simple that is... I'm going to finish printing out my clips and try them but buying that might be the better solution. I could also redesign mine to have more room so the curtain could go under the clip just like what you're using instead of having to use the hole. That solves some problems and makes them reusable without fiddling about with the pin.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Expanderoo

These were fairly quick to print (ran 13 overnight). After figuring out the pins needed to be solid to not break and slightly smaller, I got it just right so they can be pulled out and the clips can be reused. So this is good enough for now. I'm debating trimming the bottom of the shower curtain around the bath but going to try using it before cutting anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190628_114325.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	18392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190628_114333.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	18393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190628_114345.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	18394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190628_114404.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	18395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190628_114406.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	18396  

Old 06-28-2019, 12:20 PM   #6
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Nice work and I can see how the wall curtain is held in place. I removed the metal towel bar that was on the lower part of the wall and covered the holes up. I added a PVC pipe to hold wash clothes just over the faucet, but ended up removing it. I went with a 3M command wash cloth rod instead.
I removed the overhead shower curtain bracket and went with just a standard shower curtain. Had a friend shorten it about 6" so I wasn't stepping on it. Again, using a pvc pipe as the shower rod. I drilled holes large enough to run a small cable thru and swedge it. Then stuck the smallest 3M command hook on the wall to hold it in place. You have some very good ideas for practical mods. Keep up the good work and postings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2015.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	18397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2016.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	18398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2017.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	18399  
Attached Images

2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Expanderoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Nice work and I can see how the wall curtain is held in place. I removed the metal towel bar that was on the lower part of the wall and covered the holes up. I added a PVC pipe to hold wash clothes just over the faucet, but ended up removing it. I went with a 3M command wash cloth rod instead.
I removed the overhead shower curtain bracket and went with just a standard shower curtain. Had a friend shorten it about 6" so I wasn't stepping on it. Again, using a pvc pipe as the shower rod. I drilled holes large enough to run a small cable thru and swedge it. Then stuck the smallest 3M command hook on the wall to hold it in place. You have some very good ideas for practical mods. Keep up the good work and postings.
My metal towel bar was all bent up like a pretzel -- at least the towel bar part (brackets were fine). I think I'll do the same as you although going to try going with out at first.

I'm trying to predict how we'll use it which is hard. Normally, I'd just go use it and then come back to it and tinker based on experience but we're going to go for at least a month long trip and I won't have access to the 3D printer (unless I bring it along and it's kind of balky plus printing is slow -- although mostly a walk away and leave it going kind of thing as long as power stays up).

But it's interesting to see what works for people. I'm thinking it'll be best to leave the printer at home but bring my computer and make designs for things that annoy us or we would like different and then print them later. I kind of like the cycle of design-print-test-revise but having to think more isn't a bad thing. I've also been lazy in some ways with 3D modeling -- well, more pragmatic. But a safer way to go is to basically model the thing(s) you're attaching the part to and then model the parts as separate components/things/objects in the same drawing. So you can visualize in the CAD program the fit and see if say one part would collide with another. But that requires skill so I guess this month will be increasing my CAD skills (except while actually vacationing -- long story but was able to get 6 weeks off between jobs so making the most of it but I do enjoy a bit of tinkering).
Old 06-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

That's really cool! I wish that I could learn how to do things like that! We keep a lot of odds-and-ends kind of parts that we use to fix things, or make things, but this is way beyond that. We did the shower liner a couple of years ago, and the Velcro works for us. I think you could probably sell those!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #9
Expanderoo

So we finally hit the road and I went to fold it (normally, I'd have checked this but it's been a crazy busy week or two). The clips don't clear the sink counter top however because they are easy to slide, I can just bunch them up away from the sink counter and it's no big deal. I have to look closer at the clearance tomorrow (and inspect to see if my clips are causing any pressure points on the panels). But so far so good. One pin did come out but I found in the tube. I thought to glue them but then I also thought perhaps it came out and saved the plastic from ripping/tearing (they are fairly hard to pull out). I'm going to leave it as is for now and see how it goes.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #10
Expanderoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
That's really cool! I wish that I could learn how to do things like that! We keep a lot of odds-and-ends kind of parts that we use to fix things, or make things, but this is way beyond that. We did the shower liner a couple of years ago, and the Velcro works for us. I think you could probably sell those!
I'm happy to give away the design and have others print them. Although if the toilet vent works out (another thread), I was thinking of maybe doing some bulk order on parts and putting together a kit. I'd be breaking even on it though and would be just as happy if others printed and sold/traded/gave them away -- if it works and works well though I'd like to make it available to everyone. Definitely something to think about. It is fun tinkering with this stuff.