TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
flipflop

Default Cheaper parts to reduce production cost?

Hi. New 2008 2619 owner, was originally bought from Car Show, still has the sticker on it.

I hope Trailmanor & Co will continue to do well. Beautiful product. We'd been looking at hardside expandables to replace the Kodiak 172E hybrid. Of course there's only two that I could find - Trailmanor and HiLo.

It's the high initial cost I suppose that limits their new sales and they have a stigma like they're a canvas-side popup.

Dare I say they need to 'cheapen' the product. Put cheaper cabinetry into it for one thing, and instead of the fiberglass underbelly leave the frame exposed but use sprayfoam insulation in there and use a plastic cover over the sprayfoam like the Kodiak hybrids.

It cheapens the product quality, but it cheapens the cost out the door to the buyer.

Trailmanor doesn't need the highest quality interiors, their product is a unique niche that appeals to many buyers, but they have to get the initial cost down.

By the way, we love this 2619, been wanting one but they're dang hard to find locally.
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

FlipFlop, I respectfully disagree with parts of your comment. I too have a 2619 and love it.
Using cheap products inside and out is not the solution. The average person doesn't want to spend a lot of money, but when I spend I want a quality product that will last. I agree the TM, is not cheap, but I know it will last many, many years with proper maintenance.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
flipflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
FlipFlop, I respectfully disagree with parts of your comment. I too have a 2619 and love it.
Using cheap products inside and out is not the solution. The average person doesn't want to spend a lot of money, but when I spend I want a quality product that will last. I agree the TM, is not cheap, but I know it will last many, many years with proper maintenance.
I'm just thinking if Trailmanor wants to move their product the initial cost for entry level should be around $17,000. They'd move them fast, but they have to get the production cost down to do so.

That means 'cheapen' the build. They don't need maple cabinetry, they can go veneer like everybody else does. Those kind of cost-cutting things.

Trailmanor's selling point is it's a unique hardbody expandable, they have to attract buyers with a cheap price entry level. Otherwise they'll go the way of Hi-Lo.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
That means 'cheapen' the build. They don't need maple cabinetry, they can go veneer like everybody else does. Those kind of cost-cutting things.

Trailmanor's selling point is it's a unique hardbody expandable, they have to attract buyers with a cheap price entry level. Otherwise they'll go the way of Hi-Lo.
Let's be candid, it's a niche vehicle.

Going cheap with veneer in a vehicle like a TM with all it's inherent flex would be a huge mistake. Finger jointed laminate would look like the inside of an Austin, TX roadhouse after one 30 mile tow. Peanuts on the floor, and more creaks and rattles than a hail damaged Chevrolet Vega.

Hi-Lo's problem (one of many) was the weight of the escalating system, which required a higher towing capacity vehicle with the ONLY advantage being the lower/smaller sail area while towing. The Hi-Lo had a small(ish) floor plan for the relative weight.

Value and quality is more important to a TM owner than low acquisition cost.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

flipflop, I read your post about half an hour after you wrote it, and decided to not comment, as I knew others would. But,

The floor of the TM is 3" of frame and styrofoam sandwiched together. The bottom layer is aluminum, not fiberglass. It would make no sense to just blow insulation under a thin wood floor sitting on top of the chassis.

The cabinets (at least in my 2012 and 2014 model-years) have a thin plastic veneer on them. They need to be light. I have seen some models with all-wood cabinets, and I would rather have them. I don't know how screws fare in the lightweight wood, but I don't want to go any cheaper with the cabinets and have more screws pulling out.

The TM engineers tried to keep the trailers as light as possible, so they could be towed with smaller vehicles (properly equipped). Going cheaper may make them heavier, which would not be good.

I disagree about making them cheaper to sell more units. If the factory can overcome its various problems, they could produce about 1,500 per year, and sell every one (they have done it in the past). With 18,000 travel trailers sold each month, TMs are a drop in the bucket. And, as mecicon says, it is a niche product. Not everyone likes the design and mechanics of a TM.

Airstreams are not cheap, and they are all over the place. Not everyone can afford a particular product. That does not mean that the manufacturer of the product should cheapen it, just so more people can purchase it. If I want something I cannot afford, I can either get another job, get an education that will allow me to look for a better job, or accept that I am not financially suited for that product. It's not about the manufacturer cheapening their product so I can afford it.

I would rather see a few improvements in quality and longevity, even if it adds $500 to the price. Certainly don't want a lower-quality TrailManor!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:14 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

+1. People willing to pay 30-40K$ for a railer want quality and to be more than a pop-up.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
flipflop

Eh, just a thought - apparently not a good one!
Old 09-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #8
fairweatherfisherman
Site Sponsor

It is an interesting thought though. There are obviously costs that could be squeezed out of production, or time, if some steps could be done more efficiently. I'm old enough now that some things I'm buying are going to be the last ones I ever buy. As such, I'd prefer their quality to be pretty high.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

It has been my experience that cheap is expensive unless you are buying something for limited use.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Most of the parts are standard rv parts.

But the body and cabinets are made by a laminating process that shaves off many hundreds of pounds.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote