TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-09-2022, 09:52 PM   #11
oldporkchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGreydanus View Post
ooops....MAKE SURE YOU PACK THE TM IN THE BEST POSSIBLE FASHION. Lots of news items out there on doing it in the best manner.
Hopefully you'll find the right TM for you and I believe you'll enjoy it very much and save a lot of $ on gas as you travel the miles.
Thanks John. I just spoke to a TM owner of a 33 ft version and he said it only takes him about two minutes more than a regular hard-sided travel trailer to set up. He praises its lack of sway during cross winds.
oldporkchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:33 AM   #12
KEngen

Wow! I read every word as well! Fantastic information! Will you help me now too? I recently purchased a 20 2120 2720QB. I have been asking other TrailManor owners what is the best WDH to purchase. The overall consensus is that I should not need a sway bar but do you need the WDH. Anderson, seems to be the leading option in that group. My tow vehicle is a 2021 Ford explorer. I have weighed both the tow vehicle and the camper fully loaded ready to go. The tow vehicle came in at 5100 pounds and the travel trailer came in at 3300 pounds. Unfortunately I do not know the tongue weight at this moment. What I would like is something that isn’t complicated and that I am physically able to do myself.
KEngen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:30 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I have weighed ... the camper fully loaded ready to go. ...The travel trailer came in at 3300 pounds.
The spec'd dry weight of this camper (no options, no content, no cargo) is just shy of 3000 pounds. And fully loaded, ready to camp, it weighed in at 3300 pounds? How/where did you weigh it? Was the trailer hitched up to the vehicle at that time, so the vehicle was carrying at least 500 pounds of the trailer's weight on the hitch?? This would make the camper's weight more than 3800 pounds, which you need to consider in your tow calculations.

Quote:
My tow vehicle is a 2021 Ford explorer.
I loved the earlier Explorers, before 2010 or so when they went through a major design change. With that in mind, my first question is what version of the Explorer do you have, and how is it equipped? To ensure that your vehicle is capable of what you intend, I suggest you check out the various tow ratings and GCWR (total weight of the car and trailer, loaded) shown in the official 2021 Ford Towing Guide at

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...lorer_Dec3.pdf

Quote:
I have been asking other TrailManor owners what is the best WDH to purchase.
Back to your question about WDHs. There is a whole range of WDHs out there. Some are mechanically simple, some are complex. Some are quite expensive, some not so much (none of them is cheap). Some include sway control, some do not - and on some you can add sway control later if you find you need it. None of them is particularly hard to set up, or to connect or disconnect.

My choice and my experience - and I emphasize they are mine, and some folks will be upset with me for saying so - is for simplicity. When I bought my first TM 20 years ago, the dealer suggested a Reese hitch that he had in stock. It was rugged, reliable, easy to set up, easy to use, and although not cheap, not too far up the cost scale. It was not beautiful, not elaborate or sexy or painted in many colors, or exhibited in full-page spreads in RV magazines. It was a workhorse. Still is.

It came equipped with what are called "trunnion" spring bars. Note that the term"spring bars" refers to the way that a WDH provides lift. Virtually all WDHs have them, in one form or another. Note that spring bars are not the same as sway bars, though that is a common misconception. Trunnion bars are not the cheapest spring bars, but again not too far up the cost scale. Their advantage over straight bars is that they can accept sway control later if I felt I needed it. I never did.

The tips of the spring bars hang from a short length of chain, anchored in a bracket that hangs over a trailer's frame member, a couple feet behind the hitch. This is a very common approach. The spring bars are lifted with a steel rod that is inserted into a socket in the bracket, and lifted. The rod looks like a tire iron, and in fact I can use a tire iron if I lose the original bar. Within some limited range, the amount of lift is changed simply by selecting a different link in the chain.

The lifting force is related to the stiffness of the spring bars. I originally bought 1200-pound bars, and they were too stiff. Others here on the forum report buying 600-pound bars, and finding them too bouncy. Collected knowledge seems to suggest 800-pound or 1000-pound bars are about right for a TM.

I still have and use that original hitch. I have never wished that I had something else. I would not be willing to pay $800-$1000 for a sexier hitch, but that is just me.

I hope you find something useful in there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #14
KEngen

Hi Bill, I weighed at a registered weigh station. But it was attached to the car. I’m glad that you mentioned that so I know the actual weight is 3800 pounds.. I do not add water or propane when I’m traveling. The two weight distribution hitches that I was looking at were Anderson, and Reese. Another owner who has the same vehicle as I do and the same trailer uses the Reese and said it works very well for him. Thank you again for all the information. You are very good at this and are helping a lot of people.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:14 AM   #15
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Andersen WDH for the win. You won’t be disappointed.

I had a question… Trailer weight is 3800lbs, axle weight is 3300lbs, tongue weight is 500lbs (just using numbers above as an example). So how much do you consider to be TOWED weight? 3300lbs because 500lbs is being carried by the tow vehicle? Or 3800lbs because that’s what the entire trailer weighs?

I never thought about this but it’s kinda a game changer for my view on towing with some of these smaller vehicles.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:40 AM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Andersen WDH for the win. You won’t be disappointed.

I had a question… Trailer weight is 3800lbs, axle weight is 3300lbs, tongue weight is 500lbs (just using numbers above as an example). So how much do you consider to be TOWED weight? 3300lbs because 500lbs is being carried by the tow vehicle? Or 3800lbs because that’s what the entire trailer weighs?

I never thought about this but it’s kinda a game changer for my view on towing with some of these smaller vehicles.
The gross trailer weight is 3800#, as you mentioned, the "towed weight" is 3300#.

The most important numbers are the CGVW ("Combined Gross Vehicle Weight") and compare that with the CGVWR ("Rating"). The CGVWR is the weight that the vehicle can safely stop while towing in an allowed distance in a panic stop.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #17
oldporkchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEngen View Post
You are very good at this and are helping a lot of people.
I can't agree more. Thanks Bill.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:58 PM   #18
oldporkchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGreydanus View Post
What I find important as well is GET WATER JUST BEFORE OR AT YOUR DESTINATION. Doing that saves so much on towing capacity.
This is an intelligent plan. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:01 PM   #19
oldporkchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEngen View Post
Unfortunately I do not know the tongue weight at this moment. What I would like is something that isn’t complicated and that I am physically able to do myself.
This video goes in-depth into the various factors (including tire rating) that need to be considered when towing. The video creator has a Excel-like checklist where you can insert the weight from your tow vehicle and trailer to see if you are within limits.

https://youtu.be/gIhRJe1O5eY
Old 08-10-2022, 03:01 PM   #20
KEngen

Oldporkchops ... your name just cracks me up! Thank you for the video link. Awesome!