TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2022, 07:10 PM   #1
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Default A/C start options

My nephew was looking at buying a Soft Start for his popup, so he can run it off a portable gen. I'm researching I discovered that SoftStartRV has a new option of a plug and play softstart adapter.
I don't know how long the discount will last, but wanted to share. I'm not very good with wiring or electrical, but this would solve a lot of headaches.

https://www.softstartrv.com/choose-y...ckage-reserve/
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #2
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default I would (and did) go with the learnng 'EasyStart' instead.

Not a bad idea at all, although the price for that "15A-compatible" package seems kinda high. I wonder how much of that price is actually paying for "extended warranty" on a product which maybe develops problems if used near the edge of its capability too often. But the picture in your link appears to show a different model of EasyStart, it might be more capable than the one which people usually buy.
- - -
The competing Micro-Aire "EasyStart" product offering is a learning device. If he were to conduct it's first few compressor starts from the generator, rather than the grid, it could be made capable of better results with the generator. Some of their newer models have remote diagnostics capability via Bluetooth, and they can receive any future software upgrades through that interface as well. I bought one of those in the appropriate (and smallest) 120-VAC size.

My 'EasyStart' has not yet arrived, but I will be using it to run the AC unit from batteries through a somewhat small "3000/6000" Inverter. The Inverter alone has started the AC compressor on high power once, in moderate temperature, but I don't want to make it do that on a regular basis. (The instantaneous draw to start the compressor rotor is close to 7000 watts, doing that job several dozen times per season could burn out my undersized Inverter).