TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
CamperWayne

Default Battery Cut Off Switch

After the first few nights in our new TM2619, I have decided an external house battery cut off switch would be useful. Has anyone installed an easily accessible switch or plug between the battery box in the A-frame rack and the camper body? If so, what type did you install? Where did you locate it?

I don't want to unstrap and open the battery box to access a cut off switch. Perhaps a switch could be mounted just under the front wall of the trailer box. Motorhomes and boats seem to be factory-equipped with cut off switches. I wish TM did the same.

One of the main reasons for a switch is to turn off the refrigerator when travelling in the 12V position with the blower on. We often stop several times per day when touring between campsites. It seems like the refrigerator should stay cold for several hours if it can cool down when driving between stops. A cut off switch would also be useful to avoid draining the battery when the unit is stored.

The switch I had in mind was sold by Camping World (Marinco Master Switch, Item #37821, $70.) Unfortunately, Camping World informs me that this product has been recalled and is not presently available. Any other suggestions?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperWayne View Post
After the first few nights in our new TM2619, I have decided an external house battery cut off switch would be useful. Has anyone installed an easily accessible switch or plug between the battery box in the A-frame rack and the camper body? If so, what type did you install? Where did you locate it?

I don't want to unstrap and open the battery box to access a cut off switch. Perhaps a switch could be mounted just under the front wall of the trailer box. Motorhomes and boats seem to be factory-equipped with cut off switches. I wish TM did the same.

One of the main reasons for a switch is to turn off the refrigerator when travelling in the 12V position with the blower on. We often stop several times per day when touring between campsites. It seems like the refrigerator should stay cold for several hours if it can cool down when driving between stops. A cut off switch would also be useful to avoid draining the battery when the unit is stored.

The switch I had in mind was sold by Camping World (Marinco Master Switch, Item #37821, $70.) Unfortunately, Camping World informs me that this product has been recalled and is not presently available. Any other suggestions?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92688

You can mount it in a plastic junction box from HomeDepot (about $5) and screw, strap or glue the box to your frame or the outside of the battery box.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Roy in Texas

I mounted a marine 2-way switch and charger on top of my battery box. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery switch and charger.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	3502  
08 2720 (swing hitch, bike receiver)
15 RAM 1500 4x4 with 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6
RAM Integrated Brake Controller
Blue Ox Weight Distributing Hitch
Roy in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
rumbleweed

Smile

Might have room to mount the switch Carol and Wayne suggested in the side of the top of the battery box. My dealer mounted mine there prior to delivery.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Al-n-Sue

Default My installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92688

You can mount it in a plastic junction box from HomeDepot (about $5) and screw, strap or glue the box to your frame or the outside of the battery box.
I used exactly these components (except I got the switch from a auto parts store) - drilled holes in the faceplate for the switch and mounting screws, drilled a hole in the side for the wires and used liberal amounts of sealer for both. I mounted it on the tongue behind the battery box. I ran the hot wire from the Bargman plug and the hot wire from my electric tongue jack to one side and the other side to the positive battery terminal (through a 30 amp breaker mounted the battery box). When I travel or camp, the switch is on. When I park in storage, or stop for more than a few minutes, I turn the switch off. This type switch locks when it is on. When it is off, the key comes out. It is usually sold with two keys. But remember, with this arrangment, power to your emergency brakes are disconnected, so don't ever, ever, ever, forget to turn it back on after you make a stop! The added benefit to this arrangement is that when your camper is parked in storage, there is no parasitic load on the batteries.

Good luck with your install.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2162s.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	3503  
Old 05-03-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
PopBeavers

I mounted a 4 position battery switch under the front street side corner just as you were thinking. I can choose either of two batteries, both or none.

I posted photos a while back, but I can not find them.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
MudDog
TrailManor Master

I installed the same switch many other have. I ended up pop-riveting the plastic box to the side of the battery case. I drilled a small hole on the side and inserted a rubber grommet, then passed the wires thru.

The box is reccessed several inches from the frame and is pretty well protected from all sides.

I've attached a side and top view.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bc_side.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	3538   Click image for larger version

Name:	bc_top.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	3539  
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS