TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
jpcoll01

Default Lone Pine Campground near Lone Pine, CA

If you are ever heading up the Eastern Sierra Nevada add a day to stay in this campground. There are sites right on the creek and they are stocked regularly, not really good for a fly rod (although that's all I had) but a small open face would work great. I still caught my limit both days. The Campground has water and pit toilets but that's all and it is perfect in every way. I loved it.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoll01 View Post
If you are ever heading up the Eastern Sierra Nevada add a day to stay in this campground. There are sites right on the creek and they are stocked regularly, not really good for a fly rod (although that's all I had) but a small open face would work great. I still caught my limit both days. The Campground has water and pit toilets but that's all and it is perfect in every way. I loved it.
While there, take a hike to the top of Mt. Whitney. 8-) 14.5k feet, more or less. The only place I have ever been where I could see the top of an air force jet while it was in flight and I was standing on the ground.

Check out Alabama Hills, between the campground and town. Many movies were filmed here. Mainly old westerns (Lone Ranger, John Wayne), but one of the Clint Eastwood westerns was filmed here. Also, parts of Gladiator (Russell Crowe) were filmed here.

If you are not inclined to hike to the top, there is a spot along the highway where you an see the peak, but you have to know what you are looking for.