TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #31
PopBeavers

Someone has posted pictures of mounting a blue tote under the TM in a manner similar to the spare tire. I do not recall who, or when, but I have only been hanging out here since March 2005.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #32
MariaG

DH says there's only 5" of clearance to keep the tote inside the frame - now he's thinking of maybe buying a plastic welder and building his own "overflow" tank under there - thoughts? Ideas?
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #33
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaG View Post
DH says there's only 5" of clearance to keep the tote inside the frame - now he's thinking of maybe buying a plastic welder and building his own "overflow" tank under there - thoughts? Ideas?
Take a look at this web site. They may already have a tank that will fit at a cost that is lower than buying a welder and the plastic sheet.

http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=163

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #34
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Forum member ripp1202 added enough 4" ABS pipe under his trailer to create enough volume to dump the toilet into. Compared to a tank, I think this is probably a better option because I bet it drains better due to a rounded bottom and its gentle slope to the discharge point.

Check out this thread, and pictures in post #35.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...?t=2969&page=4

Because there is not alot of depth under the trailer, you can't make the a black tank very high, which I think would make it more prone to drainage issues.

Whatever you do, don't forget to vent it....bacteria produce gas, which can make a rather unpleasant explosion if it can't escape.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #35
P and B

In my concept though, it's still a "tote" with wheels that you can take up and dump hitched to the back of the TV. Our problem is usually gray water for the most part. A nice wheeled tote on an integrated, easy to operate clamping system would be fantastic. Something in the range of 25 gal or so??? I know large totes are hard to manuever.

Phil
Old 10-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #36
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by P and B View Post
In my concept though, it's still a "tote" with wheels that you can take up and dump hitched to the back of the TV. Our problem is usually gray water for the most part. A nice wheeled tote on an integrated, easy to operate clamping system would be fantastic. Something in the range of 25 gal or so??? I know large totes are hard to manuever.

Phil
25 gallons is about 207 pounds.

When I need to use the tote, I am 30 miles or more from the nearest dump station. I would either need to find a way to lift the full tote by myself into the truck, or I would have to use a macerator to fill the tote while it is in the truck.

As long as I stay where it is acceptable to dump gray water on the ground, then I don't need a toe for the gray water.

fwiw, we use about 5 gallons of water per person per day. Most of that ends up in the gray water tank.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #37
MariaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekenSpider View Post
Take a look at this web site. They may already have a tank that will fit at a cost that is lower than buying a welder and the plastic sheet.

http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=163

Jerry
Thanks Jerry - I've visited that site (and several others) in the quest for a tankl that fits and haven't found anything that will work. The space we have to work with is 46"x12"x5" and everything I find is either too wide or too tall. Length doesn't seem to be an issue. *G* The quest continues!

Dave, we've discussed the mod that Ripp1202 did and DH isn't comfortable with it for some reason. _I_ still think it's the easiest fix but he wants a tank for whatever reason. We may at some point end up replacing the Thetford with an RV toilet sitting on a tank on the floor as someone here did - can't remember who right now.

Phil and Wayne - most of the time we would need to dump the black water tank, we would also be a long way from a dump station. Just having a tote isn't enough, we would need to transport it a distance. An under the camper rack is a thought, but again, finding room under there and a tote of the right dimensions is the problem. I obviously don't want to put it in the back of my minivan. *G*
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #38
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I remember someone posting a link to a company that would make a tank to your exact specs, and IIRC, it was not cost prohibitive. That would be easier, and maybe even cheaper, then buying equipment to make your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaG View Post
I obviously don't want to put it in the back of my minivan. *G*
OFFICER: Do you have anything in the car that I need to know about?
DRIVER: Not really, just a bunch of sh*t.

OFFICER: Can you be more specific?
DRIVER: Not really. It's just crap.

OFFICER: Do you mind if I take a look?
DRIVER: It would be my pleasure.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #39
P and B

Popbeavers,

I've never camped anywhere that allowed gray water dumping on the ground. Maybe 25 gallons is a bit high but something that you could hook to the ball hitch and drive to the dump station at the same campground would be nice. You'd have to work the maneuverability and the under TM storage problems. If I was 30 miles from a dump station it would change the problem for sure.

Phil
Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #40
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by P and B View Post
Popbeavers,

I've never camped anywhere that allowed gray water dumping on the ground. Maybe 25 gallons is a bit high but something that you could hook to the ball hitch and drive to the dump station at the same campground would be nice. You'd have to work the maneuverability and the under TM storage problems. If I was 30 miles from a dump station it would change the problem for sure.

Phil
When I am 30 miles from the nearest paved road, towing a tote down a gravel road is not a good idea.

When camped in the middle of no where, there are times when it is permissible to dump shower water on the ground. Some cities will allow you to use the water from your washing machine at home to water your lawn.

In a campground I would agree with you. I am trying to figure out some of the logistics of camping a little farther off of the beaten path.

The purpose of campgrounds is to get everyone but me to be camping in one place, so I can have the rest of the forest to myself.