TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Chuck C C

Default Satellite dish probs

I get no signal through my sat. dish. I have (repeatedly) gotten a clear South signal path, hooked up the Direct tv receiver to both the television and the dish feed and auto-programmed the receiver. No signal has ever been detected. My receiver gives me the direction and elevation and I can position using my GPS and the dishes internal elevation readout. The over-the-air antenna works well. I just got a satellite signal strength meter and will try it when I can. Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated. Any solutions would make me your friend for life.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck C C View Post
I get no signal through my sat. dish. I have (repeatedly) gotten a clear South signal path, hooked up the Direct tv receiver to both the television and the dish feed and auto-programmed the receiver. No signal has ever been detected. My receiver gives me the direction and elevation and I can position using my GPS and the dishes internal elevation readout. The over-the-air antenna works well. I just got a satellite signal strength meter and will try it when I can. Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated. Any solutions would make me your friend for life.
I've been through the same problem with my Jayco trailer. I don't know if my problem is applicable....you can decide.

Note: 1. & 2. below assumes the TM's cable input connection is used.

1. If the Winegard amplified antenna is powered, the signal from the dish to the sat rcvr is killed.

2. If the Winegard amp is off (green lite out), the signal to the sat rcvr (if downstream from the amplifier power source) is killed.

3. If there is NO Satellite Prep feature on the trailer, then connecting to the cable input supplied will kill the sat signal to the rcvr.

To determine if its an aiming problem, or rcvr problem, connect the sat RG6 cable directly to the sat input on the sat rcvr. If you can get normal recption (or any, for that matter), then the problem is that feeding the dish signal thru the trailer cable kills/scrambles the feed to the receiver.

I had exactly your problem (assuming you connected to the TM's cable-in). I solved the problem by installing an "A B switch" prior to the Winegard amplifier plate. That allowed me to input the sat feed to the rcvr prior to it passing through the Wingard amp. That is, once the sat rcvr has processed the signal and sends it to the TV, it won't be affected. The Winegard amp must be off, in any case, for proper operation, but I now have great sat reception. If connecting to a campground cable, I switch from B to A and use the "Ant IN" feed from the sat rcvr to route the cable feed.

In any event, if you connect the dish feed directly to the sat rcvr, and can't get a signal, the problem is confined to the sat system.

HTH

Deny_A
Old 08-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Bill & Lisa

If the problem is not in the TM wiring, try this.
Go to the signal strength set up screen on the reciever set up menu. (where you auto program). Instead of waiting while it goes through and records all the zero signal strengths go to one of the choices on the bottom right of the screen - something like signal meter. Turn up your volume. You should hear a rythmic "Ticking" sound. Now go out to your dish and SLOWLY move the dish listening to the sound. It will increase in frequency as you home in on the actual satelite signal. I have never picked up the signal where I was "supposed to" and tech support turned me on to this "feature" to quickly and easily fine tune your dish position.
Hope it helps,

Bill