TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
justpeachee

Question Guides - Frommer's vs. Woodall's

Which one would you recommend. I have heard that Woodall's frequently gives good ratings to campgrounds that don't truly deserve it. I have not heard much, good or bad, about Frommer's. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I would like to limit my purchase to one all-purpose book (not different regional ones) since we will be traveling cross-country and I don't want to carry a bunch of books with us. TIA for any advice!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Same here.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
kempert
Site Sponsor

Same here.

Kemper

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Freedom

Same here, supplemented by a free KOA directory and a Wal-Mart Atlas. (has all the Wal-Marts listed in the front) Wal-Mart parking lot camping isn't the best, but if you're just traveling, it'll do in a pinch!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
justpeachee

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
coulter

Question

Quote:
Wal-Mart parking lot camping isn't the best, but if you're just traveling, it'll do in a pinch!
Do you set up your TM in the Wal-mart lot? I have seen people camping there I just never considered doing it myself... I was a pop-upper until last summer, so maybe that is why.

We need a poll.. how many TM owners either have or would park overnight on the way somewhere at Wal-mart?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
coulter

fine I will do it you realise I have to learn how first ... one poll coming up.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
Freedom

I voted - the trouble is that I could only check one response. Several apply in our case. The only one where we have stayed that we wouldn't again is in downtown Denver. The others have been fine. One in Pendleton, OR was noisy - I think the guy with the street sweeper thought it was funny to keep driving by where the campers were parked. We always ask at the customer service before we camp - they usually have one part of the lot where they want the campers. We have never been turned down. We also give them a "Thank You" card in the morning before we leave.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Same here, supplemented by a free KOA directory and a Wal-Mart Atlas. (has all the Wal-Marts listed in the front) Wal-Mart parking lot camping isn't the best, but if you're just traveling, it'll do in a pinch!
Add my "Ditto" to the above comments about the Trailer Life Directory. It is the best I've seen. I did not care for Woodall's, so I didn't buy it.

Since we travel with a laptop, I've supplemented the TL Directory with the Trailer Life RV Parks & Campground Navitgator software. It helps to plan our trips initially, (routing, estimating mileage, estimating cost, travel time, etc.) plus make last minute changes as we travel.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
Freedom

I forgot to say we also take full advantage of any military installation Fam Camps that happen to be on or close to our route. On our big trip last year to Williamsburg, VA we stayed at Annapolis, MD and Charleston AFB, SC. When we head south from here we use Mountain Home AFB, ID, Hill AFB, Utah, and Luke AFB, AZ. We have also stayed at Kirkland AFB, NM and Tinker, OK. If you have access to military bases they're a good place to stay. Usually 10 - 14 a night - some more some less.