TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
carlabrad

Exclamation Another Fresh Water Pump Question

I was sanitizing the Fresh water tank after filling it up. I turned on the pump. I can here the pump run but no water comes out of the faucet. I don't see any clogs in the plumbing. I would have to guess the pump is defective. I let the pump run for 5 minutes before shutting the pump down. Any ideals would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Was air coming out of the faucets? You might have been filling the hot water heater, although five minutes does seem pretty long.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If the water heater was being filled, then you should be able to see the water level in the fresh-water tank drop.

You might nose around the water pump, and just make sure that the pump's intake tube/pipe is tightly attached. If there is an air leak, the pump won't prime.

Have you tried out the plumbing system with city water (i.e., a garden hose connecting pressurized water to the TM)? Any leaks?

What model/year TM do you have? Have you ever used the pump before?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Our pump died last March about 3-1/2 years after we bought our new 2003 2720SL. Behaved kinda like what your are describing. I took it to an RV dealer and got it replaced. Labor and parts about $150. Shortly after, an acquaintance gave me the dope slap, and suggested I should've taken it apart and just replaced the seals.

Aparently if you can hear the motor (the most expensive part) running, all you probably need are seals that cost a couple of bucks.

If you have a 2720SL you may still want to pay because getting at the pump in our TM is NO FUN.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Our pump died last March. Behaved kinda like what your are describing . .. If you have a 2720SL you may still want to pay because getting at the pump in our TM is NO FUN.
Just as a hint. Take off the cabinet doors - the hinges unscrew easily. Then take out the vertical wooden piece (stile?) in the center of the opening where the edges of the doors come together. It unscrews easily.

Now it is a lot easier (but still not easy!) to get at the pump.

Bill
Old 02-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
fishpondwest

I have a 2004 3124KS. Took her to the beach last week. The freshwater pump worked fine though it did take about 4 minutes to fill the hot water heater. On the morning of the third day the pump simply refused to work at all. The pump lite on the control panel was on, switch was on, battery was at full charge, nearly full tank of water, but no pump. It is mounted on the street side wall above the water tank. I thought about pulling out the vertical piece between the cabinet doors but it still looked like getting it out could be a bear. I have an artificial shoulder, so my range of motion is limited and just touching the pump with my fingertips is a stretch.
Question 1. Should I be checking something else before I go ahead with a repair? (the connection on the input side is tight, I can't get fingers on the output side to check it without taking the middle vertical piece out of the cabinet door opening).
Question 2. Do I need to remove water tank to get at the pump more easily and what might be involved with that?
Question 3. If I decide to have it repaired, should any reputable RV repair be able to do it or is this something that should go back to a dealer? (For us it's about 100 miles to the nearest Trailmanor dealer in Sacramento.)
Thanks for any ideas.
Dan
Old 02-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Dan -

When you turned on a faucet, the pump should have come on (obviously it won't come on if you are not drawing any water). Since the red light on the control panel was on, it is clear that the fuse is good, and power is getting at least as far as control panel. I suppose you might check to be sure that power is coming out of the control panel switch and heading for the pump, but that would be a pretty unlikely failure.

The pump is rated to run dry (i.e., even if there is no water), so an empty tank or a plugged inlet line wouldn't stop it. You should make a quick visual check to make sure that the outlet line isn't being squashed by something, and hasn't developed a kink.

If none of the above is any help, it sounds to me like the pressure sensor switch is malfunctioning. Can you reach under the cabinet and give the pump a few sharp raps with a screwdriver handle, or something like that? If the switch is stuck, that might jar it loose.

Any reputable RV shop can repair or replace the pump, and it may be cheaper to replace than repair. Although the switch itself is available from Shur-Flo, most of the repair cost will be in the labor involved in getting the pump in and out. The pump itself should cost about $60 - I'm not sure how much the replacement switch alone is. On the other hand, if you are going to do the repair yourself, the repair kit is probably a money-saver.

Good luck with the screwdriver handle.

Bill
Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
fishpondwest

Bill,
Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I did rap it with a screw driver handle, (great minds and all that) but nothing happened. The lines are rigid plastic and those I can see at least are not kinked. I popped out the switch on the control panel to check to the wires and make sure it is functioning which it appears to be but there is no way I can reach in to check to make sure power is actually getting to the pump. But it worked to do dishes one night and the next morning wasn't working and we hadn't moved so I have to believe it's the pump or the tank pressure switch. As we were watching tv the night before after dinner I did notice a couple of times the pump started to cycle on and off, but just for a second. I even questioned whether or not I heard it because it was so brief but then it stopped and I never thought any more about it. It might have been in it's death thros.
Thanks again.
Dan
Old 02-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpondwest View Post
As we were watching tv the night before after dinner I did notice a couple of times the pump started to cycle on and off, but just for a second. I even questioned whether or not I heard it because it was so brief but then it stopped and I never thought any more about it. It might have been in it's death thros.
Thanks again.
Dan
Dan, my pump "burps" occasionally also. I contribute this to a slight lose of pressure, as in a couple of drops of water coming out of a leaky faucet, or maybe even the check valve in the water pump leaking a little. Don't know what to tell you about your pump not working at all, though.

Chap
Old 02-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
BobRederick

You are right, Chap. There is a small leak somewhere. Keep an eye on it as it might be a loose fitting wetting the area under your sink or other place. Perhaps it is dripping outside?