TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-07-2007, 05:37 AM   #1
Travler

Default Receiver Hitch

I have a 2720 SD and on the back is a receiver hitch. What I'm wondering is if you can pull a small trailer with about 600 LBS on it and be safe. The load would be centered over the axle.....so I'm conserned with weight on the hitch. Also I'm wondering if there is wiring back there for lights.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Rear Mounted Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler View Post
I have a 2720 SD and on the back is a receiver hitch. What I'm wondering is if you can pull a small trailer with about 600 LBS on it and be safe. The load would be centered over the axle.....so I'm conserned with weight on the hitch. Also I'm wondering if there is wiring back there for lights.
We don't have one on our TM, but I thought those rear mounted receivers are for carrying a bicycle with a special bike hitch - capacity ~ 100 lbs. See what some of the other forum folks say though.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Bill & Lisa

There is no wiring plug on the rear of the TM to plug trailer lights into.

On the weight issue, it depends on the reciever. I also have seen 100# listed as the max weight but that is for the "factory installed" reciever. Chesapeake RV solutions installed mine since the unit I purchased was already on the lot. Some recievers were bolted on. Mine was welded. I put a wheeless trailer on it (similare to this http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/cb/c...6&kwtid=227204 ).

I then mounted a lockable truck box to the unit and stored relatively light stuff in it. The "trailer" weighed about 50 lbs and the box another 60 lbs without anything in it. I probably had up to 100lbs in the box. I ended up bending the shaft of the "trailer" as we traveled around. Replaced the "trailer" with a heavy duty (600# rated) unit we got at Curbelos'. Never had a problem with the hitch not holding the weight but it does make you more prone to scraping the rear end as you go up an incline. Good news is you drag the trailer not the TM bumper.

Bottom line, my reciever has routinely handled more than 100#s with no problems but your results may vary.

Bill
Old 05-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Travler

Thanks I was going to pull a small wheeled trailer behind it with my 4 wheeler which weighs around 540 lbs and I've read that approx 10% of that weight would be on the hitch.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
PopBeavers

There are a lot more issues besides will the receiver carry the weight. Have you resolved all of the other issues? The most common details for the topic of double towing are:

1. first trailer must be fiver in some states
2. second trailer must be water craft in some states
3. total length of TV plus both trailer can not exceed some specific length
4. brakes for both trailers
5. special driving license requirements
Old 05-07-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Is the hitch receiver bolted/welded to the TM bumper, or the TM frame? The former is pretty limited. The latter is much stronger.

The hitch weight of the small trailer is probably within the 100-pound carrying capacity of the TM-installed hitch. However, if you accelerate or brake suddenly, a lot more force comes into play. If the hitch is connected to the bumper, rather than the frame, you may bend or twist the bumper. I think we had a couple reports of that a few years back.

As Bill & Lisa pointed out, there is no wiring plug on the rear of the TM to plug trailer lights into. However, if you go to U-Haul, you can get adapters that connect into the TM's rear taillight and brakelight bulb sockets, and make the connection that way.

As Wayne points out, each state has its own rules about triples, and they vary a lot. I think the Blue Ox web site has a nice summary - check it out.

Having said all that, I would be VERY concerned about the towing dynamics of the situation. The little trailer (which will probably weigh 800 pounds when you get done) will be pushing the back end of the TM around, in directions that it would not otherwise want to go. THIS IS NOT PART OF THE TM DESIGN! Although I haven't tried it (and never will), I bet that the result will be terrible sway problems.

When TM says that the weight on the rear bumper hitch should be limited to 100 pounds, I doubt that the issue is the strength of the hitch. IMO, the issue is almost certainly the effects of putting extra weight so far behind the axle. Weight back there "wags" the tail of the trailer - and that is definitely a situation you don't want to get into.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
Travler

Yes I agree. I did find this post below, but I don't think I'm gonna persue this anymore........I don't think this dog hunts at all.

WILLYBILLWINE

• View posts

ALLEN,TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/05 03:17pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THE TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY DISTRICT OFFICE IN GARLAND, TEXAS ( TROOPER VANE ) AND FIND, IN TEXAS, IT IS IN FACT LEGAL TO TOW A UTILITY TRAILER BEHIND A TRAVEL TRAILER WITH A PICKUP TRUCK, AS LONG AS THE TOTAL LENGTH OF THE THREE UNITS DOES NOT EXCEED 65 FEET..

YOU STILL NEED TO MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT PLACE TOO MUCH WEIGHT ON THE REAR BUMPER (SEWER COMPARTMENT) OF YOUR TT. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD HITCH, ATTACHED TO THE TT FRAME AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A
CONNECTION FOR THE 2ND TRAILERS BRAKE AND SIGNAL LIGHTS.

BE CERTAIN TO WATCH YOUR TURNS AND DISCONNECT THE 2ND TRAILER BEFORE TRYING TO BACK YOUR TT UP..

HAPPY RV'ING !!!